Reviews for They That Are Told To Survive
ladyqueerfoot chapter 22 . 12/21/2020
THE END IS NEIGH…. AHHHHHHHHHH i am so afraid of this dawn… so afraid… u best not hurt my feelings

Althea: HSHDHJEFHJOEHF HEY QUEEN ! ARE U READY TO SLAYY MY WHOLE FUCKIJNG LIFE AGAIN? AHHHHH I MISSED UUUU! ugh she has gf she is a gaylord and i love her so much and i am so sad that she is sad and tired of the games bc she is such a queen… and the way she wants to prove herself? lord i am in my feelings! her not giving a fuck is so beautiful tho she is such a legend i adore her for real and what rhodos said? ouchiee i want her to feel too.

Rhodos: HI KING! I LOVE YOUUUUU! oKAY we are getting some earthqtake action that is sexy as hell ig… and OH NO! cave! that is not good! and the bit about the career instinct hurts me a lot wow this all hurts me a lot… he is too pure for this shit like jeez joseph why did u do this? ur so rude? OH REBELS? that is interesting for sure what the fuck? OH THEY MADE THE QUAKES? HMMMMM… watch him egg scape now

Hera: HGDGHJEHUFGKIGIUFEH HELLOOOOOOO MS DALENKAAAA SHE IS ALREADY KILLING SOMEBODY? she is so powerful… oh okay madeve ref it is too early in the morning for this shit… wow this guilt makes me sad as hell! i hate it here… and ugh i love the puppet thing that is just so neat… ouchie my feelings hurt… i love when u internal monologue it is so neat of u and wow wow i love… HI KIERNAN HELLO! he has never been cared for okay he is sad MAEVE HHNNGGGGG HGE MISSED HER HHHHNGGGGG UGHHHH I AM SO SO SO SOS OS O SADDDD

bye dawn im gonna go cry
Musingsofamadwoman chapter 3 . 12/20/2020
I like both of these for different reasons, they both have something to prove. Dior to prove she's capable following her previous failure to volunteer, and validate Matties belief in her: The familial dynamic is very cold and probably reflective of how most think D1 would be.

Chrys, one of the few socially disadvantaged families. Almost honorable, volunteering to help go's struggling father BUT also prove that he can do anything the rich folk can: The resentment is strong but I think hell be guided by his emotions which could backfire.

Between the 2 I prefer Chrys, but think Dior will probably be favoured by the Capitol
Musingsofamadwoman chapter 2 . 12/20/2020
So I've read the previous story, and poor Jordyn is going to be facing her proverbial demons soon enough I presume. As for the Careers here, I'm gonna reserve judgement but the males of 1 and 2 could be problematic dependent on their thoughts about the Capitol- a cornered dog can snap, so Kiernan could definitely be full of surprises.

Snow, as cold as always and so sinister. Elkavitch, those were threats from the snake man but Elkavitch really intrigues me: Escort to Ganemaker, a little more personable and aware of the Districts and the Careers are scoured as prime time entertainment- actually not surprised and its a great twist.

Curious to see what happens as the story unfolds
Josephm611 chapter 21 . 12/19/2020
HI DAWN I’M SORRY I’M LATE. BUT Y’ALL JUST ALL POSTED AT THE SAME TIME WHILE I WAS BUSY WITH GIFT EXCHANGES AND AHHHHHH I’M ALREADY SCREAMING EVEN THOUGH I HAVEN’T STARTED THE CHAPTER. We ended last chapter with the revelation that Kathvarine was behind the earthquake, right? EARTHQUAKE AHHHHHHHHH.
I think this story freaks me out so much because I’m not used to having any of our beloved kids dying. Being a partial, the only dead kids are ones we never got to know, so it isn’t quite so freaky, you know? But now I’m acutely aware that one of the six might die soon and I’m not ready for it. I’m so not ready for it.

Dior… separated. The imagery here is just so… breathtaking. Let me get you a clip of your own writing; it’s just so good.
“Bursting with fissures, ravines of their own /frothing/ with life, with the creaks and coughs of earth, and the earth had crumbled underneath their feet. She and Althea were /uprooted/, tossed into the merciless waves, ever-flowing, ever-/changing/, never in stasis, never stationary, flowing with dirt-rocks and rolling dust and flecks of golden specks—”
That’s so good? It’s so poetic and so good? That’s the Dawn writing style that hooked me at the very beginning of our journey. Plus the assonance at the end is just *chef’s kiss*.
but looking at this POV, I’m glad the earthquake happened. if Dior had attacked Althea… I don’t know if I could’ve handled that implosion. Rhodos would’ve defended Althea, I’m sure, but Hera? I don’t know. Maybe a fight would’ve taken out Dior. Oh well. We’ll never know.
I love how you take a moment to remind the reader that Dior isn’t a cold, heartless machine. She needs to control because that’s how she’ll feel validated, how she’ll convince herself that she’s better than her dead sister. And she’s angry at the Gamemakers now! That irony is so good? She’s furious at them, but not in a rebellious, I-hate-the-Capitol way. I don’t see this quite enough in SYOTs. But she’s also furious at herself? I love what you’re doing with her character. It feels like every time I decide I’ve had enough of Dior, you make me sympathize with her again.
“(Dior Marini will die)”
OH NO PLEASE NO. I SAID BEFORE THAT I WOULDN’T MIND IF SHE DIED BUT I TAKE IT ALL BACK. NOOOOO
Oh. My. Goodness. SHE RUNS INTO CHRYS. THAT MEANS KIERNAN IS NEARBY. AHHHHHHH. AS IF IT WAS BAD ENOUGH? NOW YOU DO THIS? WHAT’S GONNA HAPPEN AHHHHH!

Chrys… WAIT KIERNAN ACTUALLY DIED? Or does Chrys /think/ he died? BE RIGHT BACK I’M GOING TO BACKREAD.
ok so we ended last with Kiernan thinking he would die and now we have Chrys thinking kiernan is died but….
WAIT! IS THIS? ok this might be a conspiracy idea but WHAT IF the earthquake was just a ruse in order to pluck Kiernan out of the Arena and use him as a figurehead for the rebellion? Since he’s Maeve’s sister? I FEEL LIKE THIS COULD BE IT BUT I’M TOO SCARED TO HOPE AHHHHH ok back to reading
OH. MY. GOODNESS. I’M BACK TO YELLING BECAUSE BIG BRO CHRYS IS BREAKING AND I’M SO SADDDDD BUT I KNOW Dior is about to show up and that is Freaking. Me. Out.
OH NO. THEY’RE ACTUALLY GOING TO HAVE A SHOWDOWN. AND ONE OF THEM IS GOING TO DIE? PLEASE NOOOO. I NEED MORE FONT FORMATTING OPTIONS TO SHOUT ADEQUATELY LOUDLY BECAUSE THIS ALL CAPS IS NOT DOING MY SHOUTING JUSTICE. I NEED BOLD. AND UNDERLINES. AHHHHHHH VHYNSEKRUGFAHKDJFHASDKLF
“—and her blade goes through his stomach.”
AHHHHHHH. IS CHRYS GONNA DIE. NOOOOO.
I was really hoping that he’d pull something and kill Dior, but now we’re getting all the family thoughts and that’s a dead ringer for “death scene.” NOOOOOO
Chrys is dead. Our first death. It’s taken so long for it to happen, but that’s why it hurts. This really hurts. Chrys was on the fence for me at first, but then his big bro side came out and I couldn’t /not/ like him since I’m an older brother myself. i’m getting so emotional chrysssssssss

KIERNAN… I KNEW YOU WEREN’T DEAD. I KNEW IT. DAWN, YOU CAN’T FOOL ME. I KNEW THERE WAS NO HECKIN’ WAY KIERNAN JUST DIED LIKE *plop*
ok where is he what’s happening ahhhhhhhh
a nowhere place. that’s so poetic? I love it? the way you just go—“welp english doesn’t have enough words, imma mix ‘em up my own way” is just so perfect. I can’t tell whether what he’s seeing is real or not but I don’t mind because it’s just so pretty? the writing? is just perfect?
“Kiernan Alcraiz takes shelter in Maeve’s death place.”
What a bombshell of a line to end on. Oh. My. Goodness. Dawn. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! Especially with Rhodos and Althea and Hera?

Lol you got such a gushy review because of sprntathon. All hail mighty sprntathon for giving Dawn nice long reviews for her reading pleasure. I’d stay and yell at you more but I can’t because i’d feel bad for doing it and I need to go yell at Bradi in her reviews. byeeeeeeee
ASlitheringSlytherin chapter 21 . 12/19/2020
Dior: Holy hell. Um. Well /that/ just happened. I still don't like Dior but at the same time I really do see where she's coming from. As she just said, 'she's fucked in the head', and I mean it's not her fault. The Games have ruined her sister, her family, her, her sanity, basically everything and her coping mechanism was to be the bitchiest bitch alive. Honestly at this point she's more at a 'neutral' than anything, though I guess more of a 'conflicted' because neutral does not express enough all the feelings I have concerning her. I might actually /like/ her if she wasn't so /evil/ when but comes to the Outlier. Like, I guess I can understand for the Eights, but I still dislike her for keeping such a grudge, even though it's understandable, but how she calls /all of them/ animals, things to be slaughtered...it just makes her seem to brutally sadistic for me. Especially now that she wants to fucking murder everyone on sight, including her own damn district partner.

Chrys: Hi? My anxiety and fear of death and depression is screaming now? I don't blame you though. I see dark story which includes death and suicide, I click. Maybe that's not a good thing but whatever the fuck this is not a therapy session. Why am I rabbling about the oddest things? Maybe because I have never read a death scene so FUCK FABULOUS I CAN'T EVEN WSERTRYUFAEWERTYGFDSdertyujhgfd. I don't think I'll ever get over that. I was never a big fan of Chrys BUT I MEAN EMILIO AND HIS FAMILY LIKE HOW DO I NOT SHED A TEAR OR TWO OR THREE OR JUST BREAK DOWN SOBBING? This PoV surprisingly made me stan Dior. I make no sense, I know. How's she's so /broken/ it' just..ugh. And I have this clear image in my head of the forest with all the yellows and reds but it's shred apart because of the earthquake and then Dior and Chrys are broken /inside/ and then there's blood, the same color as the leaves and just ugh-
(Blame my synesthesia for that one.)
I should stop talking so much though but like a death? Two deaths? Fucking Keiran just went oof. Being terrified too. He died terrified.

Well okay (That sounded oddly calm for the state of emotion I am in right now).

And that LAST LINE THOUGH WTFFFFFF how is brain so brilliant? TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

Okay well I think I should read the next POV before I verbally explode.

Keirnan: WELL OKAY THEN (ooo look I spelled his name right wow-) So HE'S still fucking alive um congrats. I'm attached to you too now. I don't want any of them to die now. Right when they actually start dying. Where's Hera in all of this? Oh so they used the same arena that's honestly pretty epic but at the same time inhumanly terrible and terrifying. I think I should stop this review before I start babbling incoherently (unless that's already started) but LoOk WHaT yOu'Ve DoNe To mE DaWn! But now worries I don't blame you. I liked being wrecked by stories on a daily basis so /we're just fine here/

This was a...definitely...(insert adjective here. I have no words though so idk what to say.) chapter.

Thank you so much for posting this thoough I loved it!
ASlitheringSlytherin chapter 20 . 12/18/2020
I am so damn late. I am so so so sorry about that. I cannot make this a long review unfortunately. But I will still give you my thoughts! It was nice to see a bit of Chrys's backstory it's been a while since we've heard from that. He has now killed Six Girl, which makes me sad, but he's also grown desperate and disgusted by who he is. He is kinda the only one who hasn't been developing that much and now we're taking him into an arc that makes him not want to be a Career. As for Keiran, whose name I always spell wrong unfortunately. He has really grown too and is finally seeing the hopelessness and futility of his dreams, if you could call them dreams. Depression is seriously attacking everyone now, even Dior
And Keoran realizes he can't kill. Maybe he'll be more mature after this. Additionally I'm not quite sure what is going on with the gamemaker and the earthquake, maybe cuz I'm stupid and I'm starting to forget names. But from what I can tell, she's trying to cover up the rebellion's attack against the arena and pretend it is their own idea
That it was planned all along, which is really clever.

as for Sadie, I'm sorry if I've been annoying you about her XD I promise I'll stop. But I'm glad I have a tribute in this wonderful SYOT!
ladyqueerfoot chapter 21 . 12/18/2020
Well well well... look what we have here! oooh it is spicy spicy spicy in this house bc we have un chapter of the hottest SYOT in town! ugh i am so fucking hype to get into this shit because even tho its been less than a week, i have missed ur big juicy brain’s writing so much and i think kiernan is dead but i also dont know so that is stressing me out bc like at this point he is my son forreal forreal but i will stop being a pissrat and start reading

Dior: HI QUEEN! ugh she has grown on my quite a bit but then also i have always loved her and her thirst for power it is just so fucking interesting to read. Like i really relate tp the whole feeling powerless thing, especially in a place thats designed for u to feel powerless, and therefore i cant help but root for her even if she is being somewhat evil… and the tea with althea… okay she is acting like a gaylord but i can’t even be mad about it because girls fighting is hot. i hope they fight. and yes these bitches be splintering oWO! and now it turning into her feeling powerless and like she should be allowed to control the pack? yeah this shit is so fucking immaculate i have legit lost all ability to even. i just feel her desperation so badly and it is so sexy and hot of her. and how she doesnt think people trust her? awe baby i love her. ugh the survivors guilt w her sister… v interesting and the repetition of Dior Martini will die as you discuss corpses… that is mad sexy! but she will not die and she will kill everybody and wow i just loved that POV so much UGHHH

Chrys: Okay so we are here with my son dying and being vored by the ground so i already am upset, but this is not about kiernan so i should shit up. And you should shut up and talk about how scared my boy was when he died because bitch i too would be scared. Okay now we talk about him great thanks ig. And how he wants to fight for his family? that is also very neat to read about and how he too is dying because bitch does not have an arm. him accepting death and defeat is really so fucking sad, and how he doesnt think he ever had a chance at all? girl this is so so upsetting to me. all these bitches be thinking they are gonna die huh? kind of beautiful and stunning how u write it tho. “Can he still fight?” oh this hurt it hurt so bad because i feel like no he cannot because of his arm and everything so it is really fucking painful to me. OH HELLO DIOR LONG TIME NO SEE BUT ALSO NOT! She is an enemy it is true but she is so sexy okay! the way she is such a smooth talker is so enjoying to read goddamit. and he tries to get her sympathy but she just laughs god i love this so much and these parallels between the two POVs i feel like i know both of them much better now. FUCK DID SHE JUST? oh my god! okay! ugh ur violence is so poetic ur existence is so poetic i am fully living right now. and his motivations yet again? at this point it just hurts so much to be reminded of this shit! THAT LAST LINE HOLLY SHIT HE IS DEAD HOLY SHIT I HAVE CHILLS WHAT? ONE OF THEM DIED? WHAT? DAWN?

Kiernan: WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD? DAWN I WOULD LIKE TO FORMALLY APPOLOGIZE FOR BEING MEAN AND THEN I WOULD LIKE TO KISS U ON THE MOUTH! HELLO KIERNAN! HI! I LOVE YOU! oh he is sad he is so so so sad and he thinks that he is dying. i hope not. OH NO NOT THE ANGST ugh i love the way you have portrayed him so much and the way he’s so juvinelle yet also not and like i just adore this funky little boy so much and im just in love with the fact he could have had such a normal life but he just needed to be loved and gah he is so nuanced and wonderful and i adore him. AND THE MAEVE REF? why do you hurt me? And he thinks that his death is humiliating? ugh he is such a sad baby and now he is in the woods alone and i am sad. but he is not dead and that is just so shocking to me and i am so proud of him and this is so beautiful and GAHHH. he is resting? hmm he needs that. but he cant do that! ugh and look at him enjoying the scenery. it reminds me of the one shot! oh and this repetition slaps by the way i am enamored. ugh and the capitol refs and superficial and wow and UGHH… maeve no no no no no no she laugh i love her with my whole chest. WHAT? NO FUCKING WAY! IT S THE SAME ARENA! THEY ARE ERASING THAT SHIT? GOD DAWN YOUR BRAIN IS HUGE AND THATS WHY ITS SO SPOON! ugh my son is so smart for figuring that out as well. yeah its oddly funny i agree. OH THERE IT IS THATS THE SAD SAD ENDING WOW THAT HURTS I AM SO SAD! I AM SO SO SAD! ALL THAT REPETITION PAYED OFF SO WELL! i love how he is aware of the irony but lord that hurt but at least he is alive aha

OKAY SO WHAT A FUCKING CHAPTER! THIS IS SO FUCKING WILD! UMM I AM EXCITED? I WANT MY SON TO ESCAPE! DAWN U ARE SO SMART AND THIS WAS SO FUCKING BRILLIANT AND I AM IN AWE! AND GOODBYE CHRYS THIS IS SAD BUT I LOVED HOW U WROTE HIM! ughhhh stan dawn that is all
Josephm611 chapter 20 . 12/14/2020
...how have I not read. I forgot about it. And now I'm here, super late but here. I'm sorry!

Chrys... oh YES he and Kiernan ran off! But I want to know about that explosion. Does that happen here? He hates Dior and I don't blame him. I highkey hate her too, only kept back by the way you've written her so that I can get what makes her tick. Chrys' anger is a bit easier to understand for me, since... he's literally missing an arm, plus he's a big bro and I dig that. He and Dior do have their "blindness" in common. Both fully rationalize their thoughts and actions, using it to justify everything they do even when it starts becoming more of a stretch.

Kiernan... oh hello. Cómo estás? It says a lot about his relationship with Chrys that he'd run off with him, even though Chrys isn't exactly a stable person either. But he's falling apart and it makes me sad because he's so smol? But then I remember that he's angsty-smol and I'm like "ehh?" But my big brother instincts demand that I protect him.
YES. CHRYS. This makes me happy. Kiernan's angsty self doesn't want to accept anything other than broody angst.
OH. SIX.

Chrys... I'm scared. Qué está pasando. This exchange is so messy and almost feral and it's painful to see. Yet Chrys' guilt and regret has built up for a few days and it's messing with him now.
whew. for a second I was scared that he'd die and I'd be sad. But she died. And since I don't know as much about her, it's easier to just be relieved that big bro chrys isn't dead and kiernan isn't all alone. Yet that guilt is coming back? AH?

Kiernan... Uh oh what's gonna happen. Kiernan doesn't like death either. I still don't get why he's here? Yeah, all that stuff from last year and all but his reasoning for volunteering is still the worst imo. And now this death is messing with him even more.
WHAT THE HECK. RUMBLE? EXPLOSION? At first it was just like "oh Kiernan's falling apart" but now IT'S THE EXPLOSION? FROM BEFORE? AHHHH. AHHHHH.

KATHVARINE? NOT IN MY TTATTS! WHY ARE YOU HERE? THIS CAN'T MEAN ANYTHING GOOD.
AN EARTHQUAKE. AHHHH. EARTHQUAKE? I seriously thought that it'd be some rebel thing but this is almost worse.
OH. SO SHE'S BEHIND ALL OF THIS? IS THIS REVENGE? THE INTRIGUE!
BUT WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ALL OUR KIDSSSS
dawn i would totally haul you off to syot court right now for this but i know you have exams and so i can't. augh. argh.
ladyqueerfoot chapter 19 . 12/5/2020
Wow dawn! This is truly such an interesting chapter title you are so creative i cannot even (wait i read it wrong and say the solitary and the solitary but the real title aint much better luv u tho) sorry its taken me so long to review this but dawn my love i am so fucking FLOORED by this chapter... the way u write will never get old to me like i truly could read ur simple yet poetic yet emotional prose for the rest of my life and i would not complain and would be very happy!

this chapter tho... where the hell do i even begin? i am absolutely enamored by dior yet again... she is just so fucking sexy but i am not complaining in the slightest... additionally i am LIVING for this rhodos and althea wholesomeness and i just... the way they have developed is so neat and the enemies to lovers trope is something i am a massive whore for, especially when u write it. and HERA... oh hera... the way you write her is just deeply therapeutic and even cinematic and i feel like this POV was a dramatic shot of the arena with her face in the background sort of transparent and she was monologuing and it was so beautiful and then BOOM the explosion, everything cuts to the careers, and its terrifying and wow this was the first thing I've read in a long time where i could see it play out in my head so beautifullY

additionally... fuck u for the cliffhanger and i am preparing for kiernan's death
ASlitheringSlytherin chapter 19 . 11/30/2020
I just want to assure you that I am still reading! i'm sorry if i'll only be able to review this chapter, but I have read the others, and they're all excellently written.

Dior: My opinion is so damn conflicted. Like, I understand her. I know why she's doing this, why she has that anger, and it's very justified, but at the same time, that selfishness. That selfishness of her expecting them to just /lay down and die/ for her. As if they owe her something. That confidence where she underestimates Chrys, who could very well fucking do some damage with just one arm, she underestimates Kiernan, because watch out, he can do damage, jus like my little Raven can, how she underestimates Hera, she has no drugs around, and there's a reason she was chosen to volunteer in the first place, right? how she underestimates Rhodos, he's still a fucking fighter, and how, most importantly, she underestimates Althea, who has a Kukla vibe around her, and is incredibly deadly. She isn't easy to be controlled.
And Sadie.
Sadie.
First of all, she's my tribute- ok fine, sorry Dawn, she's yours XD, but like still. The sheer /pettiness/ of Dior's vendetta makes me can't help but dislike her strongly. And yet you breathe so much humanity into her that it's really hard.

Rhodos: he's torn between wanting to be free like the rebels and the despairing things that Althea is sayin. i think Rhodos is going to be the first of the careers to want to get into that rebellion. I can feel he wants to do it, wants to rebel, wants to be free. And with him, he'll probably take Althea along. I still have hope they'll be able to make it out, at least some of them, maybe not Kiernan because you still want a character death. maybe not saide, cuz you want to break my heart. maybe not dior cuz you want some moral in the story. I don't think they'll all live, but Rhodos will try to set himself free, and he will create chaos.

Hera: I have no words. First of all, Hera, please have the strength to shove away that bottle. PLEASE. Though I'm surprised and very proud that she managed to not take any of it all the way till now. And she still hasn't taken any. She has true strength, I can see it now. She mustn't be underestimated. Secondly, Dior, I will murder you violently for what you've done. Making Rhodo and hera kill. Breaking them apart. It's so cruel. And now Althea and Dior tensions have formed, which I saw coming. And now the rebellion is here to save all their asses, with Eights still alive, so um? I need a new chapter? like, now?
Josephm611 chapter 19 . 11/29/2020
YESSSS I'm here. I also have to review Dollhouse but you updated at the perfect timing (sorry Bradi)

Dior... omg Chrys and Kiernan are gone. They really did just up and leave. She's gonna throw a fit, isn't she? I'm scared to see it.
wait lol she doesn't care. she's glad. I completely took it the wrong way.
Wait never mind, she is mad. But she's not raging mad. She's just murderous cold. oh crap, maybe she is raging mad. Your vocabulary is so much richer than mine? And the way you describe the way she wants him dead is just—horrible? But good? BUT VERY HORRIBLE
Oooh yep she wants to kill the Eights. That's a more reasonable way to do this. Somehow, not knowing the Eights makes this a little less nerve-wracking since I'm not attached to them. I love how you always bring in their human side in every POV to get any of them from getting one-dimensional. It's phenomenal.
"Eight girl is the last threat left in the Arena."
That's rather cocky of her, innit? Sadie isn't trained, not the way the others are. This feels very much like classic Greek tragedy hubris, and I'm curious if it'll come back to bite her in the future.

RHODOS... okay the title of the chapter (solidarity) instantly made me wonder if we're getting more sweet friendship and NOW I CAN'T WAIT
Ergh he's always so self-deprecating and it makes me so sad. He's so torn? Like he feels guilty that he didn't kill but he's glad he didn't kill because killing would scar him too. Why is he such a soft boy?
But subplot stuff! It was kinda in the background for a while, but it's screaming loud and clear at center stage and I'm so nervous for how it's going to go down.
AND OH MY GOODNESS. RHODOS CURIOUS ABOUT REBELLION. NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD I HAVE EXPECTED IT TO DO THIS WAY. BUT IT FITS SO WELL! with the way he both follows authority but wants to be himself? IS HE GONNA BE A REBEL CAREER WHAT
AND ALTHEA STARTS THE CONVERSATION THIS TIME. AHHHHHHHHH
omg. she's confessing to him. she's being vulnerable. and it makes me so soft inside you could cut me with a butter knife (why do i feel like i'm beginning to sound like drunk bradi). i LIVE for their friendship here. i stan solidarity.
"I hope you won't have to kill someone, Rhodos."
That line. So sad. So just UGH. AHH. She cares for him. And he cares for her. The best platonic relationship ever written. I stan the two of them so much? I usually would be more cautious since only one can win in an SYOT, but I know there's no victor and there's so much talk of rebellion and the forcefield and i just can't

Hera... sad gurl hours. :(. omg her mentor is giving her drugs? That's so... sweet? in a twisted way? in a terrible way? why you make me conflicted like this. I hate seeing withdrawal!Hera but drugs are just no. You can do this, Hera. You can fight the withdrawal.
Also the way she's thinking about Kiernan reminds me of Orysa thinking about Bryson. Maybe it's just me being super sentimental after posting the finale. And she wants to comfort him? AH! MY HEART! SHE WANTS TO COMFORT THE REST. WHY DO I LOVE HER SO MUCH.
oooohhhhh gosh. dior. i hate you sm right now. pressuring the other two into killing. ick.
rip District Ten. *three-fingered salute* The boy died to make Chrys guilty; the girl died to make Hera guilty.
AHHHH DIOR DON'T YOU DARE BREAK RHODOS.
OMG. AND RIGHT AFTER ALTHEA WANTED RHODOS TO NOT KILL. AND NOW SHE'S CHALLENGING DIOR.
Rhodos is shaking but he still wants everyone to just be nice and not fight? :pleading_face:.
GOOD JOB ALTHEA. DON'T TAKE THE BAIT.
BUT ARE THEY GONNA FIGHT
CLIFFHANGER? HOW DARE YOU! EXPLODES. AHHHH ARE THEY GONNA DIE? PLEASEEE NO
(except dior)
AHHHHHHHH. AND THAT SHORT AN. SO OMINOUS. STAHPPPP
gosh. dawn. ack. how. just. idk.
Josephm611 chapter 18 . 11/25/2020
DAWN I'M SORRY I'M LATE
ok but not /too/ sorry bc now you finally know what happened to orysa haha ok
But seriously. I've missed this story. Between trying to finish my own writing and half-dying from school. I've forgotten more than I'd like to admit. And I'm not okay with it. I've missed these kids so much?

Rhodos... MY BOY HOW I HAVE MISSED YOU.
What is this mark? It couldn't be more obvious that it's important; you're basically waving it in our faces, but you won't tell us what it means and I NEED TO KNOW. Ahhh he's struggling enough by himself; this mark is only crushing him more.
So of course he does what Rhodos McNamara does. Worry about others and feel bad about himself. I am once again asking you to let me give him a hug. Gosh, he's already so caught up in wanting to make Althea feel better, but he's also trying to avoid his own problems? I love him so much?
"(And he knows that she would've despised him seeing that)"
That line is just... ahhhh... It's like he's trying to play 4D friendship chess and it's messing with his head.
YES! GO FOR IT! PLEASEEEE BE WHOLESOMEEEEE
The way he second-guesses at every step? AHHH!
"I know I'm weak" NOOO ALTHEA i'm sad, but I'm also terrified? Because this could either become the saddest thing ever or the most wholesome thing ever.
AHHHH RHODOS BEING HONEST AND CONFESSING IS JUST AHHHHHHHH AND ALTHEA'S CURIOUS? PLEASE RECIPROCATE OR HIS HEART WILL BREAK (ALONG WITH MINE)
gosh i feel like youre somewhat channeling me into him to get at my feels and its working. bradis doing the same with with raul. yall are horrible (not at all)
"Thank you." I literally let out a held breath. YESSSS FRIENDS THE MOST PRECIOUS D4 DUO THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEEENNNNNN
awwwwww hes too busy worrying about others to worry about himselfffff

Kiernan... angsty middle schooler (that I must protecc) is back. welcome. i missed you
omg Kiernan and Chrys are also being wholesome. thank you dawn for blessing us with wholesomeness. I needed it after meeting Rex in To Coda.
BIG. BRO. CHRYS. I NEVER KNEW I NEEDED THIS BUT I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT NOW. YES. YES. I STAN. I NOW LOVE CHRYS. HOW DID THIS EVER HAPPEN.
im such a sucker for wholesomeness and it isnt even funny cuz ur gonna kill some of them horribly and youre excited to do it
Chrys and Kiernan? ? ? ? Leaving? Do they have a chance at survival? Chrys is horribly hurt?
plz dont tell me theyll go to the edge of the arena right as it blows up
But What? ? ? I'm so scared for them? And excited to see what happens? AHH?

Hera... uh oh prepare for feels. i always get feels with hera
(also my reviews for you are the most unfiltered, incoherent things ever. oops. I hope they're entertaining)
She's still struggling with the very basics of what's happening and it's so sad? Out of her body. Heraaaaaa :sob:
WAIT WHAT. EXPLOSIONS AT THE PARTY. IT'S BACK. YOU INTENTIONALLY DIDN'T EXPLAIN THEN BECAUSE YOU WERE HOLDING THIS CARD UP YOUR SLEEVE. AHHHHH
I was just about to say that Hera isn't as cleanly tied into the story as everyone else, but she's clearly tied in now. Were the others at the party? Why is the she the only one that remembers it? The rebels were at the party?
YES. SHE PUTS THINGS TOGETHER. YESSSSSS
omg I never thought I'd be rooting against rebels? But the rebels want to kill these precious kids and so I have no choice.

ELKAVICH? IN MY CHAPTER? WHAT?...
ok I'm scared. subplot time. subplot time. this reminds me so much of the adrastus povs in prmonition. given what happened in premonition... im scared
Oh gosh. Electromagnetic signals. And she thinks that Jordyn is dead. Ha! Something tells me that Elkavich will not survive.
vulture tattoos
the mutts
in bold
ahh
ah
a

omg I'm so scared for what will happen next? I want Rhodos to live? My gut tells me that more than one of them will live, but what that means for the subplot... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
BradiLain chapter 17 . 11/15/2020
Man i truly cannot believe that chrys is still alive after losing a whole ass arm. ridiculous. i can't imagine that sort of pain, especially when all you've got to numb it is pure willpower. crazy crazy crazy. i think it's funny that he's so over Dion and her strong will - it's something i'd say they have in common which makes it even funnier when they butt heads so harshly. I feel like i haven't had such strong feelings about Chrys until this chapter here. his determination gets me good. i love that for him. i still wouldn't say that he's my favorite, but i definitely understand and sympathize with his motivations and desires.

rhodos and althea remind me of a puppy and an old cat. althea's all claws out and grumpy, while rhodos is ever attempting to have a fun playful relationship. just take that, drench it in blood and murder for the hunger games and it's a perfect analogy lmao. Althea was absolutely stunning here. her desire to never let anyone see a weakness in her is in itself her weakness, how she lets dior boss her around with just a glance? fabulous. i love it. there are so many distinct personalities in this pack and they just don't mix. they're flavors that sit on your tongue, unique and separate and mixing together with a bitterness that encapsulates the idea of children raised and trained to kill. i love them all for such different reasons. a great kill here from both dior and althea. girl power out hereeeee

dior stirs up such great drama in the pack. she truly has this higher than thou sort of air about her that is just so fun to read. she's the kind of bitch that you wouldn't want to mess with, the kind of girl that would accept the homecoming crown because everyone was too afraid to see what she'd do if she didn't win. her savagery is only softened by the melancholy memories of her sister. we know what dior is fighting for and we love her for that. her actions might scream evil, but her intent has a gentle purity hidden somewhere beneath all of the dirt and grime.
BradiLain chapter 16 . 11/15/2020
Chrys is a red hot tamale, such an angry tamale. i mean, i guess i'd be angry too. i think i will call him one armed willy from now on because it amuses me to no end. Kiernan is such a sweetheart for offering to help. Funny to me that he found a tourniquet, but I suppose it would be a useful thing to have just in case your fellow career loses an arm or something. Emilio wants to save people and Chrys is here in the games doing the exact opposite. Such a bittersweet realization.

Rhodos and Althea definitely have the most compelling relationship within this career pack, so they're the ones I find myself rooting for. Rhodos is sure worked up about lying to everyone, but if we're being completely honest with ourselves, what difference does it make who killed the girl from district nine? she's dead. there's no way he'll be caught and i feel like it's a white lie at this point. the only one he's hurting is himself, and when you're in a death competition i feel like being a liar is one of the least awful things to be.

i love how worked up althea is. she was so sure of herself before - and outwardly she is still trying to keep up the façade but our main man rhodos knows her better than that. i don't have a lot to say about her POV other than I enjoy these two together so much.

heraaaaaaaaaaa, you're still here like a black sheep in the flock. the way her povs are still riveting even when they're so heavily drenched in thoughts and poetic language is so impressive, dawn, truly it is. usually i'd find myself bored with what i'd deem as frivolous and useless information or complaining about how there's too much rambling in povs like this but you somehow manage to sway on a balance beam so expertly that you're never quite off balance, just tilting one way or the other to get back on track. fabulous.

Dior is doing her best as the head honcho and i'm loving her confidence. she's powerful, she's got malice, we are stanning Dior here. I would definitely agree with her that Chrys is likely going to not make it super far, though I think he's got one kill left in him before he kicks the bucket. I also think that our lovely Hera is a ticking time bomb, so I'm worried for her wellbeing as well. I would love a Hera!victor moment, but so far I think Althea seems the most likely.
BradiLain chapter 15 . 11/15/2020
I love the idea of an arena dripping in gold and sunlight and amber glows. Beautiful like a fairytale forest, yet soon to be drenched in crimsons. Love love love love love that. I feel like I've seen so many third person omnipresent versions of bloodbaths that it's kind of nice to have one from a single POV here. Kiernan is clearly the least able of the Careers, so it makes sense to start with his POV from a narrative sense, since he's got a lot of the main worry. Will he live or will he die? I don't think he'll die - I think the Capitol has much more in store for him. And now that I've gotten through his POV I can see that my hunch was correct. I love the anger and the resentment that we got to see from Kiernan here. He's truly animalistic in a pitiful sort of way, isn't he?

And now to Dior. The jealousy on her is so fire. jealousy is easily one of my favorite negative emotions to read. it's just so human and so real, it's like anger and sadness and fear all balled together and cooked at a slow simmer. I'm not surprised the Chrys is out there killing it, but I do hope that Dior can manage at least one. For her pride if nothing else.

Chrys losing a whole ass arm gives me so much life. you know how i enjoy the slaughtering of tributes. he's one of the last ones I would've expected to die but he's also not one of the tributes that I was most invested in. I'm surprised that one arm willy out here is even still coherent to be honest. his rivalry between Dion is interesting so I do hope he can manage a little bit longer to rub in her face that he's capable with one arm in the field of the bloodbath.

Althea gets herself a kill too! all our careers are out here tanking, but i'm still living for them. the comparison of this other outer tribute to a rat was great imagery, loved every moment of that. Althea is a force to be reckoned with for sure.

rhodos, geez, leave your daddy issues at the training center lmaooo. this nine girl is a mood, i love her. i'm living for her act of defiance. i feel like that's even better for Rhodos' development since he was so strongly questioning his ability to kill, having that choice be taken away from him was very good. would he have killed her? would he have chickened out? we will never know.

aghhhhhhhhhh my hera baby darlinggggggg i cry. The way you wrote this was too good for my drunken soul, dawn. i'm so emotional i cannot fathom my own feelings. 'she's strewn across the golden forests flecked with red' like girl you snatched my wig so hard i don't even know if i got any scalp left under there. gorgeous. brilliant. a testament to humanity as a whole.
117 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »