Reviews for They That Are Told To Survive
S4PR3Z1 chapter 3 . 5/30/2020
:/ forgot to review, just ignore my lateness
And ohh myy godd
That was crazy beautiful!
(A blow, a roar, a laugh. Tighter, Lorine, come on, finish her off with a snap.)
Just one of the many perfect phrases in this chapter. Your writing style: I wish I could be half as good as you. It's so wonderful!
And the characters: they're also-perfect. Perfection everywhere!
Chrys: He reminds me of me, lol. Huuuge pessimist but actually a good person. I like him.
Dior: I don't like her as much as Chrys, but she's still great. God, these characters!
And the fact that you're just focusing on the Careers is wayy better than other, run-of-the-mill SYOTs. (heh, wish I came up with this idea)

Looking forward to the D2s! :)
symphorophilia chapter 3 . 5/26/2020
hey there! just wanted to stop by and drop a comment letting you know how awesome this chapter is - the prose was smooth and narration flowed well, you worked in enough backstory for the characters to be understood without letting it consume them, and the distinction between voices was clear. fantastic work! looking forward to watching how you flesh out your primary six and connect it back to the "prequel" of this series, so to speak. dior's section came out looking lovely, and chrys was a fun read as well. keep up the good work!
Axe Smelling God chapter 3 . 5/25/2020
You wrote my Dior perfectly and I loved the poetic nature of your writing it was beautiful and I can’t wait to read more from you and looking at all of the beautiful people who were able to write something as beautiful as this is something I couldn’t have expected for us to see.
nervenom chapter 3 . 5/24/2020
Wow. What an interesting take on the careers from one! Brilliant characters, kudos to their creators. But mostly kudos to you- your writing style is just brilliant! Very flowery and intricate, but in a way that keeps you enthralled. I've never been able to get the hang of metaphors as well as you have, I'm jealous haha. Can't wait for the next installment,

~Grace
veryfirstpage chapter 3 . 5/24/2020
Wow. Your writing. Wowowowow. It's effortless, so lucid without excessive detail and beautiful without purple prose. The way you portrayed Chrys was incredible beyond description. I'm intrigued by Dior, and the way you described her sister's death and return was simultaneously chilling and electrifying. The image of the ruby choker lingers in my brain. She'll be a fun character to tinker around with. I am insanely impressed, and I'm honored you chose my humble submission. This inspired me to go work on my chapter I've been procrastinating on. Can't wait for the next update!
Josephm611 chapter 3 . 5/24/2020
My gosh, reading your writing is like reading poetry. On one hand, it's slightly frustrating because I'm the type of reader that half-reads, half-skims and it forces me to slow down. But it's so good it's worth slowing down for. Please don't take this as a knock on your writing-I absolutely don't mean it that way. It's beautiful and poetic and thought-provoking and awesome. It pops because this isn't the type of writing you see every day.

So... with that out of the way, keep in mind that I might've missed a few hints or points. It's completely my fault; I don't read carefully enough.

So Chrys is from a poor family. His dad doesn't want him to volunteer; he promised his now-dead mother he would. And so he goes. He's got that delusional idea of victory that most volunteers have, but I guess it's for his family? It's not exactly an unprecedented character, but I like your take on it.

Dior was supposed to volunteer before but then chickened out-and now she's got a second chance? That's an interesting one, and I like the way it plays with the rule-change. I'm getting sensible vibes from her and I like it.

If Chrys were rich, he'd likely look down on Dior for chickening out, but he's not exactly a snobby kid either, so that could go either way. Dior does have the age and experience advantage, which will help her in the Games. It's really weird to know that none of them will win, though. Simply knowing that establishes such an ominous mood and gah...

This chapter was a pleasure to read; it felt like being in a dream. Looking forward to the D2s!
silversshade chapter 3 . 5/24/2020
you are INCREDIBLE. wow. the language in this, the pacing? how it all flowed? amazing. you are genuinely so talented. "Mattie comes with a ruby choker around her neck, a precious slit throat that pries the smile from her lips. And she is drenched in a dress of red." FLOORED me. buuut enuf about you i have tributes to talk about!

chrys is so interesting, i think. because he's this bitter, pessimistic guy who seems to have an overwhelmingly negative outlook on life, but then he's driven by his loved ones etc - he's rather selfless, i feel. and the contrast between the "fuck district one fuck the rich i hate everything" chrys to the bantering with his friends chrys, and the cuteness that was him and nemesis! he's a like at the mo' for sure, and i can't wait to read more of him. also i adore the worldbuilding in this and the little insights we got into one!

dior is also a fun one! and by fun i mean she's got a traumatic backstory. i really felt for her here, but i do get the vibe she's dominated by her past - i didn't really get a feel for any personality that wasn't born from what happened to her? that'll probably change when she goes to the capitol and interacts with the other careers, but for now she's a neutral.

i don't have a tribute in this which is nice! normally my charts are so biased because i just love all my character's allies/district partners lmao:

like: chrys
neutral: dior
veryfirstpage chapter 2 . 5/15/2020
Your writing is absolutely sublime. The bit describing Dior and comparing her to the previous tribute was flawless, and I could envision it clearly. I have a feeling Hera is hiding something behind that distinguished exterior. Really excited to see what you do with Chrys, I imagine he'll have an interesting dynamic with Rhodos. Excited for the next update!
Axe Smelling God chapter 2 . 5/14/2020
This was a great chapter as always and has allowed to see the world building that has been present in this story and it has been a great way for us to see the growth for this story.
nervenom chapter 2 . 5/14/2020
Ooh, what an interesting introduction to this gamemaker! I'm thrilled with how you wrote about Althea and thoroughly excited to find out more about these characters. Can't wait for your next update,

~Nervenom
Josephm611 chapter 2 . 5/14/2020
Dang, I was just thinking about how long it'd be until the 17th- I'm glad to see this, and it only makes me more excited to see everything unfold.

This premise is quite interesting-that the Capitol hand-picks the volunteers long before the Games. I've seen some people take a stab at it, but I've never seen it explored in depth.

Dang; I'm interested in Kiernan. Usually, I'm suspicious whenever I see a twelve-year-old from District Two, since I've seen many, many overblown, over exaggerated stories that break the immersion and end up becoming caricatures of real characters, but you're writing this story-I trust you with this.

Interesting that Snow doesn't question her about Rhodos. Is this intentional, or am I overthinking everything? Overall, I'll reserve judgment on everyone until we actually meet them. Gosh... why is the 24th so far away?

And sure, a discord server would be pretty cool. I'll go ahead and send you a request on discord if that's okay. I'm not exactly a talkative person and I've been known to procrastinate on replying to texts (warning!), but it'd be cool to have a better back and forth than what this platform offers.
veryfirstpage chapter 1 . 4/28/2020
I love your writing style, and I'm super interested in this AU. Keep an eye out for a tribute from me!
117 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8