Reviews for Game of Thrones season 8 redone: The Final War
Anthony Appleyard chapter 2 . 1/10/2022
See my attempt in
temp/game_of_thrones_many_changes_aa_
Anthony Appleyard chapter 1 . 1/10/2022
See also my attempt in temp/game_of_thrones_many_changes_aa_
abhishek.kislay chapter 25 . 10/29/2021
the chapter was awesome.
saphirablue25 chapter 2 . 3/16/2021
The whole thing about Euron being able to have a dragon from his ship while the dragon is in flight is one of the things that angered a lot of fans. Between the height the dragons fly at, the waves of the sea and even knowing how to fire a scorpion, there is only a one in a million chance that Euron would hit one of the dragons and even more for a kill shot. The only reason Bronn was able to actually score a hit on Drogon was because the dragon was coming straight at him and he was on land. Euron scoring 3 hits like that would be impossible, especially before the dragon kills him. The scorpions are too large to move that easily and the weather would still make it more difficult to aim properly.
ArchmaesterEbrose chapter 25 . 1/4/2021
Having finished a similar project, I note how differently we approached it. Whereas mine is more like a teleplay treatment, yours is more like a novel, right down to structuring it, like George Martin, by focusing on one individual perspective at a time. Believing that the outline of HBO's version reflects, in broad strokes, Martin's vision, I sought to restructure, edit and expand that adaptation, that it might be a companion to the HBO version. By contrast, you chose a virtual page one re-write. Rare similarities were that we both attempted to speculate on the character's futures, and to how they had fulfilled various prophecies.
I'm interested in that you have Jon become a wight to kill the Night King. I had considered having Arya assassinate Daenarys, forcing Jon to execute Arya, thereby killing whom he loves most. Arya would be resurrected as a wight, capable of infiltrating the Army of the Dead and killing the Night King. I'm interested, based on your choices, whether you suspect Lady Stoneheart is destined to play just such a role in the books.
Finally a question as to your choices made as to what needed improving with the HBO version. For me, the guiding philosophy was to focus on developing character motivations. What was your own?
RhaelleStark chapter 29 . 11/29/2020
I smashed this story in 2 days! Loved it!
RhaelleStark chapter 12 . 11/29/2020
Loved this POV!
Anthony Appleyard chapter 29 . 11/29/2020
An idea:
See . /Morning . Morning was a she-dragon born during the Dance of the Dragons. Owned, and ridden when big enough, by Lady Rhaena Targaryen, daughter of Prince Daemon Targaryen and Lady Laena Velaryon. (Here GRRM canon about them seems to end.)

Continuation by me, set some time after Dance of the Dragons: Rhaena sees no more purpose in staying in Westeros, but mounts Morning (with luggage and/or passengers according to how big Morning has grown). She sets off east, feeding herself and Morning where she can; in the Dothraki Sea area feral horses are plenty. Then across the Bone Mountains and Yi Ti (chance for plenty of story matter to be fitted in here from the hazards of the terrain), and at last to Asshai, where she is welcome. Asshai's dragon-keepers are thankful for Morning as a source of "fresh blood" to remedy inbreeding in their dragon stock, and more so if she has brought any eggs or hatchlings with her. Rhaena finds a husband of largely Valyrian stock. and they have a family.

Time passes, say 150 years or more, and the time of your story comes.

A descendant of Rhaena riding a descendant of Morning, and perhaps some others, hear that the wars in Westeros seem to have settled down, and by stages fly back from Asshai to Westeros, and may take part in events.
RhaelleStark chapter 10 . 11/29/2020
Loving this story so much! I also use the Isle of Faces and Harrenhal in my story... they’re just begging to be touched on in canon! Great work I’m really powering through this story
RhaelleStark chapter 2 . 11/28/2020
LOVING THIS :)
Anthony Appleyard chapter 28 . 11/27/2020
I would prefer a she-dragon to be found or hatched, and become a mate for Drogon, and more eggs and hatchlings come, and the usefulness of dragons continues.
Guest chapter 27 . 11/24/2020
Uhhh... I posted that review too early by accident. Bruh. Anyways. I think it stands out slightly compared to other rewrites of Season 8 because you, my friend, have successfully subverted expectations but with actual logic, reasonable character development, and a good rewrite. The last stand being at Harrenhal, Drogon being killed, Bronn with the wilfyre, the plot twist at the climax with wight Jon and Lightbringer, etc... I believe all that shines over the fact that you still kept the shit defenses D&D gave Winterfell, that's okay. Overall, enjoyed it a lot. It was fresh, interesting, and not cliche. Just waiting for the last part and can't wait for the sequel.
Guest chapter 27 . 11/24/2020
Well, this was bittersweet. Obviously not everyone can be satisfied. I felt as if some parts of the story were empty (?) or lacking in something, but who am I to judge if I can't even write a decent oneshot lol. The onlI especially like the ending, and I think it wraps everything up nicely. The climax of wight Jon being brought back to life by Light bringer and killing the Night King was slightly unexpected, but in a really good way; I loved the twist. The fanfic also had a different feel to
Guest chapter 2 . 10/21/2020
I am not happy that you keep the scorpions shot from invisible ships being anble to take out a dragon at long range
Andromedanaea chapter 5 . 10/21/2020
So you repeated the stupid tactic of putting the troops outside the castle and the artillery in front of the ditch.

You show traumatised me so bad, I am not sure I can keep reading something that repeats the mistakes of cannon.