Reviews for The Gift of Men
Doom Marine 54 chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
I don't think you understand what the Gift of Men is, it means that men can die and leave Arda and therefore they are not bound to the fate of middle earth like the other peoples of it. They have freedom from destiny and can shape it as they wish. So Aragorn cannot "give back" the Gift of Men.
Wastrel chapter 1 . 3/1/2011
Extremely female, dramatic and emotional POV. Even if you called yourself something gender-neutral, I'd guess that you are a woman. It is well written, nevertheless, unlike most everything on the net and I congratulate you for that. I'm sorry to say, however, that I'd never, never be able to read more because of the soap-opera quality.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 10/18/2004
Beautiful and heartrending.
o-Vana-o0 chapter 1 . 7/5/2004
Wow. Wow. This is...absolutely amazing. I have rarely read something so potent and clear, except in Tolkien's works themselves. You are to be congratulated for creating a story that both pulls on the heartstrings (I'm sitting here crying as I review) and explains more clearly why Estel had to let go.

I especially loved the bits where Arwen and Aragorn are talking. The feeling of resigned release from Arwen comes through clearly as she speaks and refuses to leave his side, even if a ship could be found to take her over.

Also, the bit where Aragorn is wondering if Elrond would feel the passing...agh, I'm crying again. I hope, for his sake, that Arathorn was there with Gilraen to greet him on the other side.

Anyway, enough of my rambles. I enjoy this story very much...now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need to read the rest of your stories. I'll probably comment on them, so I guess I'll see you later.
Catmint chapter 1 . 2/18/2004
This is incredibly beautiful, yet sad at the same time. Wow. *sniff*
Shandrial chapter 1 . 8/7/2003
Aii-ya... *wails loudly* It was heartbreaking to read in the appendix and it was just the same here. How very sad. How very truly sad... But it was beautifully done and I think you blended it into Tolkien's beautiful, but ultimately lamentable, world wonderfully. It makes me wonder now if Elrond would feel the death of Estel in Valinor. I would surely think he would no doubt still feel Arwen's passing.

As Arwen told Estel on the day of their meeting, that she would share in Luthien's doom, so she has. Although that kind of love is in itself a rare gift and I think she understands that. I do believe it would be harder on Estel if Elladan and Elrohir were there. I seriously doubt if they have every witnessed a loved one grow old and die before, so would be quite taken back from it. It would only make their remaining days harder having to live with the memory of their little brother’s death. And then to have to watch their beloved sister fade away…

Wonderfully done short story.
Amy chapter 1 . 6/25/2003
That was so beautiful I nearly cried. The tradgedy of their love is a killer, maybe that is why we yearn for it. You couldn't feel more alive that if you were in their shoes. I think you should write more!
shirebound chapter 1 . 6/7/2003
Oh my, this is stunning, Nell-Marie! Such poignancy, but it didn't tear my heart or leave me in shattered pieces - you show us that this amazing moment was such a peaceful, thoughtful, incrediblly "right" decision, that we can't help but step back and allow the king to return his gift at a time of his own choosing. Magnificent vignette.
Princess Alice chapter 1 . 6/2/2003
This was beautiful! I think if Tolkien had decided to elaborate further on The Tale of Aragorn & Arwen, he might have written the ending in much the same way. This vingette is true to his vision. I've been looking for a good LOTR fan fiction writer, and have had little success in finding one. Most are completely unable to escape 21st century vernacular, and seem to have little sense of the nature characters about whom they write. This is just the kind of thing I hope to find when searching fan fiction sites, and yet so rarely do. Your final paragraph brought me to tears... A love as noble as the one Tolkien created for Aragorn & Arwen deserves to be remembered in the hearts of those touched by thier story, and "The Gift of Men" is the first story I have found that I consider a fitting tribute. This is the only work of yours that I have read, but I look forward to reading more in future. Thank you
Turner chapter 1 . 6/1/2003
A Brillian piece of writing Nell-Marie. As the tears well in my eyes and the images play in my mind I thank you for the wonderful insight you have of these characters.
Kaz chapter 1 . 6/1/2003
That was wonderful.

Unlike many fics I really did imagine that was Aragorn and Arwen (if u can see what i mean) it was very in character and I loved your views on the other characters aswell and the explanations u wrote. Basically I loved it!

Love Kaz
Tammy chapter 1 . 5/28/2003
That was beautiful and heartwrenching. I only hope the film version draws such emotion!
estelcontar chapter 1 . 5/27/2003
Well, youve done it again!

This is a beautifully crafted piece of writting. But, what is more important yet, it is completely in character, very moving but not sentimental at all.

While I was reading it, I could really picture Aragorn and Arwen talking like this to each other.

You managed to convey the sadness, the hope and the beauty of those last hours they shared together.

Dont please forget from Ranger to a King, though!
Sphinx chapter 1 . 5/27/2003
Nice...I liked it very much, seeing that I myself have a weakness for the angst potential in this particular period of Aragorn's life. The bit about the twins was a lovely touch, and I would have loved to see them in here. keep it up!
w chapter 1 . 5/25/2003
That was gorgeous. Very emotional and yet there was nothing cheesy or cliched. You seemed to capture his final thoughts and feelings perfectly.

I loved the way you incorporated Tolkien's thoughts on the topic. You managed to include Arwen's final plea without making her seem at all whiny. And you made great sense out of Aragorn's line when he tries to offer her an out.

I think the moment that got to me the most was your line about Elrond waiting for the "ship that would never come." Damn, I really teared up there.

Keep posting, Nell-Marie. You're extremeley talented.