Reviews for Redemption
ABBAbethTheHamster chapter 20 . 3/27
I SO want to hang around in that room with the toffee apple trees and Candy Cane Lane! It makes me think of the Chocolate Room, only without the river. Planting the trees sounds like fun!

I wonder where Mr. Wonka will take Charlie in the Wonkavator? I can't imagine that the former would want to go too far out, but I'll have to see. (Loompaland comes to mind for some reason, despite all logic to the contrary.)
Lady Vagabond chapter 7 . 2/13
I liked the ''first section'', this is the first time I've seen Charlie portrayed as a baby... even in flashback scenes, I've never seen anyone else do that before! (I myself have written a short scene involving Willy when he was a baby, in the arms of his lovely mother; it will be included in the next story I post.)

Mr. Bucket never appears in the 1971 film, and while he is in the 2005 film we don't really get a sense of his personality and interests other than being a hardworking family man skilled at fixing machines (i.e. we didn't get to know his character in-depth). It seems to me that in this flashback scene you have presented, Mr. Bucket was very close to his infant son, and also showed a very keen interest in the Factory. Additionally, Mrs. Bucket was lucky to have such an affectionate and caring husband; sadly not all married women have that privilege. Seeing him as a person really makes the fact of his death even sadder.

In other words, well done with the beginning of this chapter. And I'm dreadfully sorry for not reading/reviewing your stories since October 2020, especially after I mentioned that I wanted to review the rest of your chapters. Moving to a different country on my own has certainly been more time-consuming than I thought it'd be. But I'm happily in Toronto now, so starting now I will try my best to write and review stories more often. :-)
Erik'sTrueAngel chapter 19 . 2/6
Really appreciated the head's up. This was a really sad chapter! Everything started off so well with the launching of the Toffee Treats and the chocolate soap (would be tempted to buy... fyi) and at first... I thought maybe the bad thing would be the toffees didn't sell well. But wasn't expecting Grandpa George. That was very sudden and that poor family! And poor Esther! Thinking she had to be strong. Wonka was there when she needed him most and so glad he said what he did to Joe. He's not the only person grieving and he needs to remember that. Despite it being sad, this was still a good chapter!
Squirrela chapter 19 . 2/6
Wow. Such a joyful time to be followed by such sadness. I love the straight talking at the end, too. Very true.

Thank you.
ABBAbethTheHamster chapter 19 . 2/3
Wow. For a tragedy, you captured the grief perfectly well. I remember when my own maternal grandfather died; there was so much going on with Grandma (although she was more irritated than anything) that various members of that side of the family had to come to her turf to assist with post-mortem proceedings. Within the story, I remember that a previous chapter had a part about George having a mild heart problem; was this a continuity?

On a happier note, I noticed a mention of Easter preparations amidst the chocolate hygiene products. Perhaps the giant geese from the movie will make a passing comeback?
Gs33022 chapter 19 . 2/2
Dear emeraldphan:

Oh, no! I expected this to happen based upon your hint in our PM, but how you described this scene here was extremely impactful. And I see Grandpa Joe is finally getting some character development! This story has taken an interesting turn, and I'm eager to see what will happen next!

- Gabe S.

(PS. I spotted a few errors:

".Gently he placed..." [period before 'gently']

"Why me anyways...Why not...Oompa-Loompas?," [unnecessary comma after the question mark, and no comma after the word, 'me']

These errors aside, I really enjoyed this chapter. Keep it up!
Erik'sTrueAngel chapter 18 . 1/2
I just plowed through the rest of the story. This is so incredible! Love the flashbacks and insights to the characters. There is no doubt how much Tom is loved and missed. The oompa loompas have come up with such wacky musical ideas. But man... I would love to see them! I know you said there won't be a romance between Wonka and Esther but part of me is hoping for it. I think they would make a cute couple. Can't wait for more! Happy New Year!
ABBAbethTheHamster chapter 18 . 1/1
Aw, that was such a lovely Christmas morning! I like that Mr. Wonka got a homemade gift from the grandparents; it's a sure sign of a personal warming made to last.

I agree with Gabe on the issue of "Tom's Toffee Treat". If Mr. Bucket came up with it first, then he certainly deserves being recognized for it. That's also really heartwarming.

(By the way, the brief mention of Charlie not being allowed to ride his new bicycle indoors brought a lot of funny "what if he did" scenarios to my mind! Most prominently, I pictured him riding around in the Chocolate Room, with the Oompa-Loompas restraining him at the last minute before he peddles into the chocolate river. It's way too absent-minded to be in character, I know, but the wild imagination of the mind is an odd little playground that way.)
Gs33022 chapter 18 . 12/31/2020
Another great chapter! I really felt sorry for Joe and George in this one, I hope they get better. On the flip side, I'm ecstatic that Mr. Wonka insisted on calling it Tom's Toffee Treat instead of Wonka's. I also like the idea of educating Oompa-Loompa children about what Loompaland was like. I loved this chapter, and I can't wait for the next one! Goodbye 2020, hello next decade, and Happy New Year!

- Gabe S. :)
Squirrela chapter 18 . 12/31/2020
A year already? Good to see them settling in and becoming part of the workings of the Factory. It’s about time they had a role there.

What a curmudgeon Joe is!

Thank you!
Erik'sTrueAngel chapter 3 . 12/21/2020
I love the continuation from the movie! Esther's reaction to everything is something I could see myself doing as well! And I love Grandpa Joe being all Papa Bear to make sure that Charlie is going to be well-treated as an apprentice and everything. So glad things are getting better for them and they have this new life they can enjoy more now than ever!
BJMccoy chapter 17 . 12/13/2020
I'm delighted to discover this story. And I look forward to its continuation. All the details and backstory of these characters fit in nicely with the Canon of the movie at least. I hope the next chapter is up soon cuz I want to find out what happens.
Gs33022 chapter 1 . 12/8/2020
Another awesome chapter as usual! I really enjoyed the cemetery scene; it makes me wonder whether Mr. Bucket will make his paranormal self known in one way or another, like a couple of certain characters in my story...

Other than that, echoing Beth, I really enjoyed that dentists snippet. Was that a reference to the 2005 film? If so, really clever- if not, I still enjoyed the comparison nonetheless. Keep up the great work!

- Gabe S :)
Squirrela chapter 17 . 12/7/2020
How did I miss this?

I think that the pilgrimage by Charlie and his mother was neede so I am glad they have finally made it. I agree that the young Oompa-Loompas keen interest is concerning. Hopefully something will help settle things.
ABBAbethTheHamster chapter 17 . 11/25/2020
This was such a lovely chapter! I found it amusing how to managed to come up with that clever snippet about dentists. That closing line is quite sweet; it reminds me of the last bit of the narration in the 2005 film.
88 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »