Reviews for Redemption
GustavonkaLondon chapter 9 . 11/15/2020
Ooh, now Mrs. Bucket is defending Mr. Wonka. I like this gradual personality change. And *gasp* Vernicious Knid backstory!
GustavonkaLondon chapter 8 . 11/15/2020
Yay, Through the Looking Glass quotes! I love how at first Mrs. Bucket didn’t really like/trust Mr. Wonka, but now she’s starting to warm to him. The line about escaping from the real world into a magical one was especially good.
And not many people would know the difference between Through the Looking Glass and Alice in Wonderland...
Squirrela chapter 16 . 11/8/2020
Sounds like the family have had an interesting few weeks. I’m glad mr Wonka was so quick to pick up on the idea. Mr W’s back story is interesting as well.
Gs33022 chapter 16 . 11/4/2020
Dear emeraldphan:

Wow, sorry for the late review! For starters, I loved this chapter. I really enjoyed the new perspective on the world of the factory, and I'm very glad Mr. Bucket is finally having his dream come true! Additionally, I was also a fan of Mr. Wilkinson's back story. Hmm...I wonder if the Toffee Apple Trees (nice reference to the book by the way) have something to do with Tom's Toffee Treat...

P.S. I noticed you accidentally said, "I can't believe the Oompa Loompas..." (no hyphen) Anyways, keep up the great work!
ABBAbethTheHamster chapter 16 . 10/27/2020
Yet another great chapter! While it was brought up earlier that Mr. Wilkinson was divorced, you wrote the backstory of it so well that I was feeling legitimately sorry for him, despite it all being said and done. I now wonder whether Charlie will get to meet Mr. Wilkinson's sons? One of Mr. Bucket's ideas finally getting realized is a nice touch, as was the Oompa-Loompa Halloween party. In a way, it reminded me of Spirit Week in high school; on Character Day every year, at least one student out of the few thousand always dressed as an Oompa-Loompa from this version of the story.

Keep up the great work! :-D
The Gman chapter 16 . 10/27/2020
Hi, me again...I will review the other chapters but have a lot of questions about this one...
Poor Mister Wilkinson. What an awful person to be married to.
On the other hand, I can’t wait to meet his sons! I hope you end up putting them in the story. Who knows what shenanigans two teenagers and Charlie might get up to...
It’s interesting that Mister Wonka has already been friends with other children. Did he want them to be his heirs instead, until they left? Did they like him, despite their mum?
Now I’m very curious...
The Gman chapter 7 . 10/27/2020
Hiya, it’s GustavonkaLondon!
I love this chapter even more upon rereading it (I’m so bad at leaving reviews when I like stuff, so I apologise for that). I really do feel for Mrs. Bucket. First her husband, and now her son...I do love the relationship between Charlie and Mister Wonka. Mister Wonka seems to rather like playing with his hair XD
Squirrela chapter 15 . 10/10/2020
Ah... memories. Painful at times, healing at others. When you are living them, you never know where they shall lead.

On that score, I wonder where the sharing of this note book shall lead, and how it shall get there.

Thanks again...
Lady Vagabond chapter 6 . 10/7/2020
[NOTE... Review re-posted due to spelling mistake. Sincerely, Lady Vagabond.]

Hello! Originally I really wanted to either comment on this whole story in one longer review, or post shorter reviews for each chapter today, but some stuff came up (as usual) and my ''break time'' ended up being interrupted from time to time. And now it's past midnight where I live already. So I decided to review the chapters a bit more slowly, like not all in one go.

So far, I really enjoyed the beginning. I especially like your portrayal of Mrs. Bucket, it's really easy to understand how she feels and empathise with her. Oh, and ''Esther'' is a lovely name and suits her very well. (I myself have had trouble settling on a name for her. At first it was ''Emmeline'', then in 2019 I renamed her ''Roberta''. Now, I'm not sure if either of these names suit her that well. But I digress...)

I'm also glad that in this chapter, it says that the Bratty Kids won't be all miserable forever. Even if Violet and Mike were rude kids, they don't deserve to spend their lifetimes as a blue-skinned person and super-skinny-tall giant! Willy Wonka is many things, but he's certainly not a complete sadist who wants the kids to be ruined for life.

Anyway, even with my really unpredictable schedule these days, I do hope to review your next chapters in greater detail over the next two or three weeks.

- Lady Vagabond (formerly ''Vagabond Scribbler'')
ABBAbethTheHamster chapter 15 . 10/1/2020
I like that the flashbacks in this chapter provided some key insights into Charlie's implied influences. If his father was into candy, then I can see that fascination being brought up quite frequently between parents and child, so it only makes sense that Charlie might catch on to loving chocolate. (I know that this was mentioned in dialogue many chapters ago, but this gives more elaboration.) Although Tom did not live to see the dream achieved, it's heartwarming that Charlie got to inherit the job/position that Tom would have loved for the family. Keep up the great work!
Gs33022 chapter 15 . 9/26/2020
Dear Emerald:

Oh my! This chapter was amazing! I loved the focus on flashbacks in this one, especially with Hank and showing the origin of the Bucket family and Bill! I do hope that in the next chapter, though, that Tom's dream finally becomes a reality! Keep up the great work!

- Gabe S. :)

P.S. I did, however, notice two errors in this chapter. "Wonka' cheery demeanor", no "s" in "Wonka's", and "were in school together" instead of "we're", since they were in school together at the time due to them being children, along with the context being provided. Other than that, keep it up!
ABBAbethTheHamster chapter 14 . 9/6/2020
I like the idea of going into depth on Mrs. Bucket's thoughts. What with having to take care of her parents at such an early age, the less positive moments sound totally believable. It makes me think of the extended period of time where my maternal grandfather kept having to be transferred to multiple hospitals after a surgical complication, and Grandma was stressing herself out with having to visit him constantly in his worsening condition. (He didn't make it, sadly.) Speaking of which, I hope that Grandpa George will get better. That can't be easy, either.

I like the added aspect of Mr. Jopeck coming back to get Charlie away from another mob, too. It helps to round out the character some from his extremely minor role in the movie.
Squirrela chapter 14 . 9/6/2020
Wow... you have a lot in here. Poor Charlie, I’m glad Mr. Jopeck was there. And that scene with Willy later was lovely. So that’s when the grandparents needing looking after so much came from?

Thanks for the update.
GustavonkaLondon chapter 3 . 9/5/2020
I love these characters especially the Buckets...keep up the great work!
Gs33022 chapter 14 . 9/4/2020
Dear Emerald:

This was another great chapter! I loved the focus on George and Georgina, and their dialogue was wonderfully written. I also loved the return of Mr. Jopeck, as I really liked his appearance in the 1971 film. I feel putting him here was also a great tribute to Dahl himself because, as you know, Dahl created the character himself. Keep up the great work!

- Gabe S. :)

(PS. Kudos to you for putting the hyphen in "Oompa-Loompa", as the littlest details truly do matter.)
88 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »