Reviews for The Price of Peace
Yuki Suou chapter 1 . 12/5/2014
Wow, I loved the fic. That seemed, just so possible. And that literal washing away of sin, which river was it? Ganga doesn't flow into Gujarat?
I'm an Indian, btw xD
RavenLady chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
This is very original!
lipstick chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
Oh Klose, why do you doubt yourself. Lert's just say this is the best thing you have ever written, and one of the best things I have read for a long time.

I think it is some kind of great writer who can redeem dear Maglor in such a simple beautiful scene without any angsting or dramatics. That was so lovely.

And the end is stunning too. You are destned to be a genius. You do know that don't you.
Aria7 chapter 1 . 5/30/2003
Klose what are you on about? This story is great!

I enjoyed the way that Gandhi teaches Maglor that no matter what has happened the gentle soul that was there is still there. (or am I reading in this too much?)

I also liked the way you used water in the fic to symbolise healing and the washing away of pain, guilt etc.

In fact, you have used a great deal of symbolism in this even if it's only hinted at.

Very good!

Belthronding chapter 1 . 5/28/2003
What a breathtaking story, and one I'm sure, we could all learn from. Maglor meeting Gandhi in India is an original take on the Maglor through History challenge. And what a great entry it is. )
Evangilist chapter 1 . 5/27/2003
Nothing but praise but this story, it was really touching...though at the middle, I was getting a little bored but when I read till the end, I was so touched that I almost cried (which would not have been a good thing seeing that I was in school when I read this)

I think this story is so moving in the way that Maglor (I'm not really sure who he is? Is he like a mass murderer or something?) was guided by Ghandi to cleanse himself and in the end he can do nothing but watch on in despair as Ghandi dies. I think the river is really a very good symbolis feature that you put into your story cos' the ending (or was it the starting?) of the river was so polluted yet as they went down, they saw that it was in fact initally pure and good (perhaps just like Arda and Maglor before they were "marred", I like your usage of that word)

It's really sad how he died in the end and though you made a foul-up, I think it matters not cos' that part of the story just blends in pefectly, of course, it would have been much better if you portrayed him dying in the temple (was it a temple? I forgot...) cos' it would have been more touching...( you know why right? I'm sure you do, your command of English is so much better than mine)

Still, I would like to emphasise the fact that I totally hate the title, such a bad title for such an excellent story (j/k, shan't put you down)Seriously though, this story is really good, you never cease to amaze me with your excellent abilty at writing fan-fictions, ever thought of becoming a professional author?
Artanis chapter 1 . 5/26/2003
I dont know why you said you screwed up this one. This is very good and deep. And you can't even watch Animatrix legally yet? Oh my, I imagine that you'll grow to be a very great writer one day!
Itaril chapter 1 . 5/26/2003
Wow... that was truly incredible, Klose. Your writing just keeps getting better and better.

A truly enjoyable story, and one that made me cry. Thank you for this. ) Now I guess I'll have to find out more about Gandhi... )
Jillian Baade chapter 1 . 5/26/2003
I do believe Maglor has travelled extensively, both to see what's there, and also searching for someone to help him save himself. The Indian people were interesting, thinking Maglor was English, and hating him for it. One detail surprised me, that you said Maglor's skin darkened (tanned) under the hot Indian sun. Most people seem to think elves don't tan, but I like think they would, at least in a very hot climate. Excellent story Klose, and Ghandi is exactly the sort of mortal that Maglor would connect to. A curious, yet interesting and very enjoyable choice for this challenge. One other thing worries me, it's a wonder you ever got any more sense from Maglor once he heard the girl singing! That in itself lets me know distressed Maglor was at this point in his life, before he met Ghandi.
Editor Maniac chapter 1 . 5/26/2003
ok...rite now I'm at a loss for words...hold on a sec... it story,weird mix,but really good you shoulc've trailed the purification part a bit longer though.
Maid of Ainur chapter 1 . 5/26/2003
Beautiful story, Klose. The symbolism is especially well done. Strange to think so much ideas can be embodied in a river. River Maglor...

And the moment the two murderers see each other... well done.
Ilmare2 chapter 1 . 5/25/2003
Very thought provoking and very beautiful. Ghandi is one of my favorite historical figures/leaders, and to see his beliefs and philosophies together with the plight of a character from my favorite book is simply brilliant.

This is one of my favorite Maglor in History fics so far!

Great job and thanks for sharing!
Tinni chapter 1 . 5/25/2003
Maglor meeting Mahatma, The Great Spirit, interesting. It never occured to me and I am from South Asia. Your knowledge of Indian history is admirable and Maglor's points about religion... erronous though understandable. Hm... I think I have another idea for a Maglor in history fic coming up... Once again, good story.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 5/25/2003
A worthy Challenge entry indeed! The end is both wrenching and totally appropriate; one Kinslayer meeting the eyes of another.
Finch chapter 1 . 5/25/2003
Limited as my knowledge of Ghandhi is, I could recognise him in this this story, and his sayings were cleverly incorporated in the text. It seemed especially appropriate to hear him quote a Christian text to a creature invented by a Roman Catholic writer.

To have the 'Easterlings' identify Maglor as a representative of the white oppressor was an excellent idea; it echoes some of the Noldorin arrogance towards the 'Moriquendi' of Middle-earth as well as being a more literal sort of vindication.

The ending made me very sad, though, and I felt immediately inclined to join Maglor in his rant against human bigotry.