Reviews for Blood Grants: The 60th Games
Henrietta77 chapter 1 . 5/6/2021
Amazing book and storyline; If you have some great stories like this one, you can publish it on Novel Star, just submit your story to hardy novelstar. top or joye novelstar. top
Guest chapter 27 . 7/17/2020
i dont like hazel
Josephm611 chapter 27 . 7/1/2020
Wait. This story isn't complete? Oh well, at least it meant that I wasn't THAT far behind lol. I'm still going to leave my overall thoughts on the story here, though, because I'm not going to remember it when the final chapter comes out.

I'm just tired too, so please excuse me if my tone ends up biting. No matter what I praise or criticize, it doesn't change the way I see you and I'm not ever attacking you as a person, okay? I usually won't actually critique the SYOTs I submit to because I hate potential conflict, but I also care more about you than the average SYOT-writer since I know you more than the average writer. Plus I HATE and ABHOR and DETEST being fake and I'm not gonna be like "uwu i love everything and ur perfect."

Oh, and take everything I say with a grain of salt. This is only my opinion (however strongly I feel about it), and I'm not gonna lambaste you for having a different one. We're just gonna have to live with having different opinions. Such is life.

lol now that I've scared you by trying to apologize in advance for anything harsh that might come out of me... (can you tell that I'm really scared of potential conflict?)

The Good: Your SYOTs are clear-cut, direct, and no-nonsense, which is great. There's rarely confusion as to what's happening. The subplot ties into the story well, unlike a lot of stories, where the subplot is just an excuse to have prologues. Tbh, I'm actually super curious into how this subplot continues into the final epilogue.

The Not-as-Good: This story felt very plot and event-driven. It in itself is not a bad thing, but most of the characters felt... underdeveloped. In a lot of the POVs, I felt like I saw events happening (alliances forming, characters dying) without understanding whom the events were happening to. I can see where you tried to establish their personalities through their inner narrative voice, but it would be much more effective if you built the plot in a way that showed their personalities and worldviews instead of telling it in a bit of an... infodump?
Perhaps this is a matter of personal taste? I love a story where every character becomes like a real person, but not everyone's looking to get attached to fictional characters.

Oops—the not-as-good looks two times longer, but I promise it's only a single point, really, compared to the previous two-pointer. I really don't mean this to be scathing, and I'm not looking down on you as if I were a master author—'cuz I'm not. I'm just giving my two cents on what could be done better.

I guess I should've asked if you wanted criticism—and if you didn't, I'm sorry lol.

pls don't hate me it'll make me really sad
Josephm611 chapter 26 . 7/1/2020
We're finally getting to stuff I haven't read yet. Hopefully it'll get some interesting reactions out of me.

ALON GO FIND THAT PSYCHO! TAKE HER DOWN! I don't even care that much for the Fours; I just hate Dwindela.

Gosh! Madison found them! That much be rough, especially for a kind person like her. Rip, I liked her more than the rest in the final six. At least Kilee is free now.

Aww these girls. Imma pretend I don't know the victor, but I am rooting for them the most out of the entire group.

Yikes. Both Dwindela and Kilee gone. And the worms... ugh. And there goes Alon.

Eden's right about how fast the games went, though. How many Games chapters is this? Five?

Aaaand it's Hazel! I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, she's had some character development throughout the story, but on the other hand, she's a guarded D7F with a soft interior? But just because something's happened before doesn't mean it's bad? Emerson and Hazel did make a pretty cool duo, not gonna lie.

I'M ALMOST DONE
Josephm611 chapter 25 . 7/1/2020
Yikes that's a creepy mutt. Goodbye Cullen. Oh, and Chrys.

Dwindela is just as creepy. Hope she goes...

Madison is still too nice, which makes for an interesting contrast with Luster. Rip Luster

Sorry lol can you tell I'm getting increasing tired? I'm about to fall asleep here at the keyboard but I need this off my review list.

Lol next few chapters? There's only one more Games chapter.
Josephm611 chapter 24 . 7/1/2020
YEAH OTHNIEL that's one heck of a way to go. The Othniel I originally created was flighty and abrasive, but you've created a bold, insightful character. I don't hate the change.

Ohhh so Dwindela's in love with Alon? I'd forgotten that. AND SHE TOOK OUT GERARD? I guess he was a bit cocky.

Hazel is 15? Somehow, I didn't realize that. Aww Hazel is getting nicer.
Josephm611 chapter 23 . 7/1/2020
I give up on trying to write down my thoughts on each POV. I just don't have thoughts for some of them. I'll try to get something out but I can't promise much?

So we're getting our first glimpse of the arena's secrets—the dead at night thing is interesting. I'm surprised that all the fruit is deadly. What's the food source?

Royce was stupid. It's kinda hard to take him seriously in this? Like his motivations were real and relatable for a while, but this was like watching a cheesy horror movie.

Tbh I don't hate the Othniel you've created. He makes for a convenient "explainer character."
Josephm611 chapter 22 . 7/1/2020
Welp here's the bloodbath. I totally didn't read this before. Or know (most of) the deaths. DISCLAIMER: Totally real reactions.

Yikes Darren did that. I'm pretending to be surprised. Am I convincing anyone?

Whoops Kellel was too nice.

Of course Jenava was going to die, but I'm surprised that Celio is just watching. Doesn't exactly sound like a good idea.

HECATE IS DEAD? THANK GOODNESS!
whoops celio what did i say?

Is the hex gonna do anything? Kinda curious.

YES! MAEVE IS GONE!

The D4s are total messes and I kinda feel bad for them. YIKES DWINDELA GET OUT YOU MONSTER.

Yikes Saiz. Too nice for this world.

lol were my fake reactions convincing at all? I tried to remember what I originally thought but I'm too tired for it. Sorry if my tone is all over the place; I just want to go to sleep right now.
Josephm611 chapter 21 . 7/1/2020
What is it with rebellious D8 boys? I've seen a fair share; D8's also rebellious in the books, so it kinda makes sense. I don't remember much about Kellel, though. Are they going to... go for it? Tbh that probably would happen a lot since teens are... teens.

Looking at Saiz's section, I think you've taken Othniel and really made him your own character. Most of his most memorable things weren't on the form—they're your creations. I don't mean this in a critical way; it's just an observation. It's interesting to watch, though.

Cullen is a nice boy. So is Emerson. So is Spike. And Hazel is one deep down. They're all nice, and none of them want to do this. There's also no way a large alliance is getting out of there unscathed.

Yikes Darren is a mess. Poor Madison. She's a nice girl, and she doesn't deserve to have to deal with a psycho.

Lol ofc Twine and Kellel went for it. I don't remember either tho.
Josephm611 chapter 20 . 7/1/2020
Party timeeee

Aaaand we're back with another episode of Luster v Maeve. Both of them are still obnoxious. Darren is still a yikes. Awww Saiz is so nice. I assume this is the final alliance? I have a couple thoughts, but I'll save them for later on.

Vanity is independent and herself and it shows. Woah—I wish we saw more of this cultural background earlier on; it makes her a much clearer person. Her personality is one of the clearest ones in this story, and it's appreciated.
yikes shes off with gerard again

you go my boy! I already know how you die lol. I haven't read the last chapters, though.

D's name is such a mess. He's the sweet innocent boi and we all know what's gonna happen to him. And he wants to not be bossed around. Pretty accurate for a middle schooler.

Idk I personally love the pre-game chapters (almost more than the actual Games) because that's where so much of the character depth is built—it's kinda hard to have depth through character interaction when the two are trying to kill each other, you know?
Josephm611 chapter 19 . 7/1/2020
Welp—it's time for a review dump. I'm determined to knock these out tonight!

Royce has got a serious self-image problem. It really hurts him that things aren't what he prepared for. Poor guy. At least he did ok.

Danggg that's a freaky simulation. I love the way she's breaking the fourth wall of the simulation. It makes sense that she died in the simulation, considering that she's from Five, but that's pretty impressive all the same.

Alon's last name gets me every time I see it lol. Dang he's pretty smart too, though I'm not sure if it's intended to be a character trait for him or just something that happened to work out.
Yikes. Bloody.

Eww Dwindela get out. Who's she in love with again? I can't remember lol.
Ugh and of course she wins. I'm a little confused by that tho— she's sneaky as a serial killer, but that doesn't necessarily transfer over into direct confrontation situations.

Yikes—the 4s didn't do so hot.
Josephm611 chapter 18 . 6/30/2020
Imma pretend I haven't read anythingggg

Wth is this. Hecate and Maeve together? I already kinda hate both of them, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess Hecate is sort of an interesting character, though picking up Maeve is such a shady idea... I don't want to know what's going on in her head.

Dang Celio— that's actually a pretty smart idea to hold it over their heads. There's a slight problem though—what's preventing Vanity from taking out Celio in the BB and silencing his secret?

Awww Emerson is so nice. I like nice kids. What's up with the guarded D7Fs? Rina in my current SYOT is like that too, and so were Arden and Minisa in my previous two. Slumber party is a cool idea, though.

Welp, here's another psycho. And he's a bitter psycho. And going completely insane. He ain't gonna last. Poor Chrys, running into this guy.

Every time I see Chrys, I think of her blog pic—and it was a pretty cheery picture. It's a little jarring then to see how realistic she is here. Poor D—he's too smol for this. And he's crying! Awwwww ugh.

Welp no time to do another but at least I got one done.
BradiLain chapter 27 . 6/26/2020
Hazel was straight not having any of Eden's bologna here, huh? I think it's nice to see Eden being less of a manic lunatic, she seemed very much more like a reasonable person here. I think it's excited to see her thoughts on the cloning of past tributes. I didn't realize these were going to be a connected verse, but I'm living for it truly.

Hazel, as a Victor, is one that I really don't know how I feel about. I see why she won, I see why she's angry, but I don't think that she'll blend well back into the society with her new role. I can imagine her anger getting her in trouble with the higher ups in the Capitol. Just because she won the Games doesn't mean that she's safe. There's always darkness lurking after the crown, too. Anyway, I enjoyed this little filler chapter! Glad to see things being all wrapped up.
z-fun2001 chapter 27 . 6/26/2020
Sorry it took so long to get around to reading this, but it was a good chapter of course. Poor Hazel...I can only imagine the trauma. Eden...certainly surprised me this chapter. I wasn’t expecting her to be this disloyal to the Capitol...interesting.
Guest chapter 27 . 6/24/2020
I WANT QUEENIE THE QUEEN HESPERLOE!