Reviews for Say Something
LynnVermelha chapter 11 . 3/15/2023
I love this story so much. In the beginning I thought it wasn’t for me because of how angsty I knew it would be, but once I started I couldn’t stop reading. A great take on how Maria and Georg’s long term marriage would be, taking in consideration the “in health and sickness” part of vows.
I hope the surgery makes Maria’s life easier, in the way she knows life should be. Poor Georg desperately needs therapy, so I’m glad he accepted that now.
mimipoppins chapter 11 . 3/8/2023
oh I hate to see them hurt like this and hurting each other in the process. but that's so very realistic and ultimately it'll probably result in something good (no pun intended) for them and their relationship! that being said, I hope the most of their suffering is ending bc my heart can't take this sobs :')))))

also omg I was so sure I had read this last update, I'm so sorry I forgot to and to review the 10th one but they're both wonderful and I cannot wait for more!
BrittanyLS chapter 6 . 3/1/2023
My heRt breaks for them all; but it see,s they are getting stronger together!
BrittanyLS chapter 4 . 3/1/2023
I’m glad she found someone to confide in!
BrittanyLS chapter 1 . 2/25/2023
I can hear and see this part since I can quote the entire movie! Such a lovely way of working that scene into the story!
FicWriter82 chapter 11 . 2/17/2023
This entire work is beautifully done. I love how you are delving into the PTSD Georg would have likely endured from the War and let me tell you, from a wife's perspective you are spot on with it. There is a time when you decide that you need to draw the line and you have to be forceful for them to listen. I feel so terrible for them both, Georg is living in pain as much ad Maria and for each to watch the other one suffer it is double. Update as soon as you are able.
mimipoppins chapter 9 . 9/19/2022
my god I have no words this was SO POWERFUL, I don't know when you'll be back or if you ever will but know that I will certainly be waiting and probably rereading while are at it
Kate chapter 6 . 7/10/2022
My God. I don’t know exactly how to convey how much this story has meant to me. For that is what it is — a story; an elegant, wrenching, realistic piece that answers the question that all good writing answers: ‘What does it mean to be human?’ And, using some of our all-time favorite characters, characters we all feel we’ve grown up knowing, you answered it. It’s tenderness and connection and raw pain and stillness and restlessness and sex and love and hate and loneliness. This story is gorgeous. I should’ve written this earlier, as I’ve returned to it several times the last few months. I recently visited Austria and saw the meadow from the film and thought of this piece while there — that’s how good it is. It makes me want to move to Vermont, for God’s sake. The way you portray the marriage between Georg and Maria, their reconnection, their sexual relationship, his utter gentleness with her through her illness — it makes my heart ache with its beauty. This story emulates such a specific nostalgia for something I haven’t even experienced? You’re so talented in how you convey their realistic emotions and dialogue. I would read anything you write about these two — I mean that. You have immense talent, and thank you for sharing this with us.
Marie Elizabeth chapter 9 . 9/30/2021
Please make another torn curtain fanfic
reisova chapter 9 . 2/9/2021
Nice story...
reisova chapter 3 . 2/9/2021
Nice story
Lauryn Vi chapter 9 . 12/23/2020
This piece is really remarkable. The story is raw, terrifying, powerful. We read many TSOM stories about loss, grief, neglect - it was fascinating to see a physical representation of pain, and the way you paint the fear, the exhaustion, the creeping way it takes over life and joy, and the effects it has on the children. It was excruciating to see pain destroy someone as vibrant as Maria and wedge its way between M and G’s relationship to the point both are bearing it on their own, in the only way they know how. Very beautiful to see them slowly reach out to one another and begin to reclaim their life.

My favourite line was this one: “In different ways, from different places, they had bought the lie that pain sold them”

Really evocative storytelling. (I know the story isn’t ‘completed’ but it feels pretty darn satisfying to me!) thank you for writing this.
Scot chapter 9 . 12/15/2020
Whoo! That was a racy chapter! I'm glad they didn't show that in the movie! FAB story, though. Don't stop!
Ninigi chapter 8 . 12/3/2020
It is a very dofficult story. Not because of your writing, it’s superb as always, but because of the topics you decided to write about. Usually, while reading a TSOM fan fiction we expect something similar to the movie - light and heart warming. You, however, decided to show a completely different side to this story. In fact, I’d say that it is almost an original novel. Sure, you use the names we know, they sharw character traits but as it is set around 20 years after the movie, the characters could have grown and changed in any way you needed them for this plot. It’s not an accusation, more of an observation.

Personally, this fic is difficult for me to read because it reminda me of certain situations in my own family. But at the same time I marvel at how well you managed to convey the complicated feelings that are part of such situation.

I am not sure if that was the intention, but at this point I wonder - the title is „say something”. Does it refer to Maria’s and Georg’s communication issues?

As for this chapter - I totally understand Georg. And, having read the previous chapter, I though that we might be getting to the end of the story - one operation done, another looming on the horizont, intimacy is back, it seemed like a perfect opportunity to let the Von Trapps be. But you had a different idea and I love it for it’s so very realistic. One operation and having sex is not going to magically cure all the things they are going through.

I am also wondering about Georeg’s situation. In one of the previous chapters Rose called Maria and told her that she had to drive Georg to the hospital because he cut himself. At first I was windering - was it an accident or some kind of suicidal attempt? Sure, the Georg we know from the movie is strong but 1. Even the strongest people have their breaking point and 2. 20 years has gone by. We don’t know exactely what happened to them during this period. However, after reading this chapter and the scene with Georg huritng himself by accident, I assume that the previous injury was also occidental?

I’m also wondering about Georg seeing a specialist. I have no idea what the society thought about it in the 50s/60s in the states but I am aware that in Poland at that time it was unthinkable. And taking into consideration that Georg would be at least in his 60s with majority of his character shaped probably around 20s 30s in Austria I wonder how difficult it will be for him. Not only to talk about everything with a stranger but also not to think about himself as a failure. Not do drown in shame that he was unable to cope on his own.

I wanted to add that I am really ocerjoyed to see that you’re posting again. It’s a difficult but beautiful story and I can’t wait to read more of it. Thank you for taking your time and writing it for us. BTW - how’s your PhD going? :)

And I’ve been also wondering - you had this wonderful series - Pillow talks. Is there any chance of seeing a new Christmas chapter of it? Some sweet one shot to sweeten this awful year? :D I’m asking for a lot, I know, but I’d really love to read your Christmas one shot.

Take care and once again, thank you for writing. It’s joy to read your fics.
Ninigi chapter 7 . 12/1/2020
Your writing is beautiful but can be terrifying at times too. I must admit that not remembering much from this story I decided to start from the very beginning but then reading about the illness and knowing how you created If I lose myself I decided to jump straight to chapter 6. That’s how scared I was of Maria dying! But now knowing that she’s more or less safe I’ll gladly go chapter by chapter savouring each of them. Thank you for writing this!