Reviews for Ambarussa
This story is so hauntingly beautiful...I read it and it made me so upset and confused (in a good way!) that I had to read it again, but 8 hours later. I think that Pityafinwë is the survivor, that Telufinwë "Umbarto" died, partially because many people believe so. However, the surviving twin also leads me to believe this with his repetition of "I am Telufinwë", because I believe that he is showing his feä's "death" with the death of his twin, and that he essentially died with his brother (or perhaps their feär were joined, and his spirit truly died with his brother.) I'm really not sure though: Ambarussa's insanity makes things hard to distinguish. Again, fabulous and wonderfully written story.
kim-onka chapter 1 . 8/4/2014
Amazing, the convoluted narration conveys the impression of insanity greatly and the identity loss theme is really powerful. The brothers' reactions... really, an amazing story.

The way you wrote it, it seems they always were one, so it doesn't really matter which died (reminds me of the book "Regina's song")... but then perhaps it was not the one they assumed dead...
Duilin chapter 1 . 1/1/2012
Pure, ingenious madness. Though this was incoherent, I found I could understand it upon the bare lines of insanity, for I have been at that teetering precipice. This is beautiful.
Confused Pumpkin chapter 1 . 9/5/2011
The way I see it, Amrod and Amras are one fea in two bodies, so it doesn't really matter which twin is which, because they are both. I'm not sure who died, but I'm going to say that they both did, being each a part of the same spirit. This is creepy, and a great look at a neglected character. We all seem to remember that the five eldest Feanorians were mad, but most seem to forget that the twins must've been insane in their own right as well.

I absolutely love the way you repeated "I am Telufinwe, the last King, Exalted, Fated, cursed thrice over." There's something very final in that sentence, morbid but truthful. I think I understand why Maedhros would want to slap him. Brilliant job!
Depprium chapter 1 . 11/19/2005
Wow, this is one of the creepiest fanfics I've ever read. Really dark and frightening. I have no idea which of the twins it is, but if I had to guess I'd say Amras. :)
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/29/2005
Fricking brilliant, as usual. I love the hauntingly repeated phrases. The writing flows beautifully with the shifts in perspective and time. A radically new and frightening look at a neglected character.

This settles it, you're on my favorite authors list.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 10/19/2003
I can never remember which twin died and constantly have to look it up - there is no distinction made between the two. In the eyes of the family, they have always been two parts of the same person, and so they became in their minds. In the end, it doesn't matter which twin has died - they both did, and they both live. However, I'm going to guess that the one who died is not the one everyone thinks is dead.

Beautiful work, as usual - you have such a deft hand at capturing the madness of the Feanorians.
vorondis chapter 1 . 6/1/2003
As I think their fear never really separated - as implied by Nerdanel's reaction when Feanor wants them to have names of their own - it doesn't really matter which twin survives. But in the end, it's inevitable that the survivor turns out to be Umbarto (plug: see my own fic Fateful Circle at HASA, though that one is is NC-17) even if at first it may seem the other way around.

Poor twins.
lipstick chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
"I think he's trying to stop himself from existing"

Ouch. Sheesh. Poor creature.

Yet I cannot help but wonder, if Tolkien had uesd the HoME version of events, would the Silm have been haunted by a ghost elf and his crazy twin? I think so.

No wonder Maedhros slaps him. He is terrifyingly sad. He is everything Maedhros does not dare to think.

Oh I'm going for Umbarto being the living one. Although I agree with Mouse, I dont think he knows which twin he is.
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
I can't guess which of the twins it is, but what I want to know is- does *he* even know for sure which one he is?

The piecey, scattered structure of the story adds to the whole sense of- well, maybe not so much madness as a sort of ambiguity, vagueness, notable *absence*. You *feel* the missing identity- of one twin or both, I can't say.

You paint beautiful scenes; Ambarussa with his face hidden (which one is it?), his red hair covering him (the fire that consumed the other Ambarussa)...

Very unsettling to read, very artfully written. You dumbfound me, as always.
Klose chapter 1 . 5/30/2003
Which one of the twins do I think it is? Erm. I won't embarass myself by guessing. :P

Ahem. I like the little snippets, in the switching viewpoints. It's usually the mark of an amateur writer (because they can't pull it off credibly) but you've certainly used this plot device to your advantage here... it's certainly made more chilling.

All the more interesting that the Ambarussa are a critical part of my birthday fic for you... ;)
Jillian Baade chapter 1 . 5/29/2003
Chilling in its intensity, this story has me shivering! The poor twin (I can't guess which, although at sword point I would say the youngest!) is of course totally mad. Yet I just want to cuddle him, the poor elfie. Maedhros is angry because I think he feels responsible for not doing more to stop his father from firing the ships and thereby killing the other Twin. I take it this is written shortly before the sacking of Sirion.
Maid of Ainur chapter 1 . 5/29/2003
::stabs ie for eating up her review::

Well, what can I say? The repitition is well placed and has a haunting effect. Although making Russandol slap Amburussa is very cruel of you. Great angst involved in the Shibboleth version of Losgar, but I prefer it. Much room for wierd and wonderful stories like yours. :)

::takes a random guess::

Is Umbarto 'the one'? He seems 'fated' to live although he's actually dead. (eek... I'm rambling again...)
Cirdan chapter 1 . 5/29/2003
Good for the twins. I suppose if they really were separated, yeah, they'd go insane. Makes you wonder about Elros/Elrond sometimes. The darker-haired one is traditionally Ambarussa (6). I won't try to ID him by name since that quickly gets confusing for the little twin. Well, I'm glad you can vent through him even if his situation is quite different (unless you have a ghost twin you didn't tell us about). But the sentiments were nice. I'm sorry Ambarussa can't cease to exist like he'd want, but as much as he'd like to, I think the right goes to Maedhros. _ Still, he got his mercy all the same, and I'm glad there's some rest for the weary.
Tinni chapter 1 . 5/28/2003
There is a reason why I choose to adhere to the Silmarillion version of the deaths of the Ambarussa. Tolkien's is just too cruel with his twins. He keeps splitting them up and nothing but angst can result from it, I think ME has enough angst without having to split the Ambarussa up. Good story though, I can see this happening.