Reviews for Touch The Sky: The 105th Hunger Games
Pi chapter 28 . 2/7
The haunted house is creepy as fuck, man, with all those hallucinations that are specific to each tribute's past. I really hope the group in the haunted house can leave soon.

I didn't expect that to happen when Kyler's group attacked Ethan. I'm definitely curious about what will happen with Tamika and Ethan now that Ethan has spared Tamika's life.
Firedawn'd chapter 27 . 2/6
IT MAKES SENSE BUT I CANT BELIEVE THEYRE STAYING OMG IM SO NERVOUS WTF IS GOING TO HAPPEN...

this chapter was so fucking fantastic, gosh ainsley’s pov was highkey so tragic and so good, and the may and ariya shenanigans/bonding? please i loved it sm (esp the detail of ariya wavering asking about the demon books bc she didn’t want to be called stupid... damn)... and obviously the rest of it was BEYOND. what with the outliers’ plans and then HH CHOOSING TO STAY

thank u for writing!
Pi chapter 27 . 2/5
Wait, if May and Ariya are trapped in the Keep Out room, why were they with everyone else in the rest of the chapter? My guess is that the real May and Ariya are trapped, while the May and Ariya up with everyone else are doubles or something. That's really creepy.

It seems that everyone who witnesses a death in this house becomes out of it and non-functional. First Arno, and now Ainsley. I'm hoping that they can recover somehow, maybe by finally leaving the house, but both of them look too weak right now to do that. I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise.

Kyler's group actually has a pretty solid plan IMO. It's four of them against one of Ethan, and if they succeed at killing Ethan they can rig the explosive trap that just might kill the rest of the Careers.
Firedawn'd chapter 26 . 1/30
DAVID THIS IS CREEPY AS FUCK AND I DONT LIKE IT

(i love it and i adore how you’re doing the games, every single pov has me on edge and the cordyceps shit is going to haunt me in my nightmares, thank u so much for writing)
opti chapter 26 . 1/29
i am freaking the fuck out thank you very much
sock-feet-and-stirring-sand chapter 24 . 1/27
Everly is my forever mood
ladyqueerfoot chapter 21 . 1/21
Number Eleven: What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Qaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
sock-feet-and-stirring-sand chapter 19 . 1/19
Why was this so tremendously fun to read? I was just smiling stupid the whole time. Everly really shouldn’t be drinking but you know what, sis has been through enough. And maybe Ainsley’s right, maybe this will help the team building. I mean, can’t hurt it, right?

Apologies for the lack of reviews. It’s pretty much an issue with every story I’m reading right now and I find that I can just relax and enjoy it more if I’m not focusing on what I have to say or respond about in every chapter. Oddly enough that helped me relax enough to wanna chill review this so…. Yay?

You’re really killin it with the update speeds. Give me some of that inspo pls.
ladyqueerfoot chapter 18 . 1/19
so i have been absent asf in reviewing and im a bad little follower for doing so, but rest assured! i am here, and i am reading! and u know that!

anyway... god shit is getting intense.

so this career pack, what a messy lil mix of personalities and what not. like ainsley and everly are so serious, and then ethan is sorta just there, but he makes a good straight man so im not mad. meanwhile may and pierre are chaos incarnate, and ariya is somehow even more cracked? arno is... well he is almost like an anime character he's so bonkers. i kind of love them, but man it is going to be a mess when they actually have to be productive.

then we have kyler who is, just he makes me so sad. this interview especially; damn. him with the guitar, singing the other half of the song. genuinely david that gave me chills. just the way he was so nervous yet the music calmed him, kyler is truly a phenomenal character.

ofc vesta continues to slay. it makes sense she's been relatively absent since training is mainly about these careers since theres 6 of them w povs and then only 1 of kyler and 1 of vesta. but like, you know how much i love what you've done w her and she is v special to me.

i have to say, of everyone, my faves are ariya and kyler. ariya because im a whore for chaos and dawn kids just always are full of so much nuance yet they have such distinct exterior presences, and u capture ariya's beautifully. and then, kyler is just such a special kid. he's just a boy with his guitar and his trauma, and there's something inherently beautiful in that.

i'm really excited for the rest of pre-games, and then when we get into the arena and i have a mental breakdown! thanks so much for writing david, you've truly made something special with this story
Firedawn'd chapter 18 . 1/19
oh my god david what the fuck this hurts so much literally go away... not him playing amara's song and completing it... not his fingers "dancing from chord to chord in the shadow of her voice"... this is so perfect and so perfectly DEPRESSING my god. all the career interviews were also incredible, i especially loved and hurt the most at everly just... looking so small like OW and then ariya bout to say nefeli's name but stopping herself... goddamn. thank u for writing!

(ps: the pierre, may, and ariya combo is glorious, i can't even)
sock-feet-and-stirring-sand chapter 17 . 1/17
You’re actually cracked
CozenCraze chapter 11 . 5/31/2021
Okay. You know that I don't normally review stories while they're still in progress, but this story is worth it. You can call it a late birthday present and a thank you for a really amazing story :)

Prestige is so lovely and getting to see her still living is so fantastic, and as good of a basis for an Alternative Universe fic as I could think of! There isn't too much to say about the prologues, they're lovely as always. There was something that was just so, so sweet about getting to see all of the mentors together and still alive, even if they were fighting during it. And I'll be nice and not call you out for all the inconsistencies that you've created by putting Lana and River into this story :P

I've already told you some of my thoughts on the mystery of the third prologue, but I'll dive into it here too so that I can have bragging rights when it turns out I'm 100% right like I always am :P

January 13th- the date of your first published story (I see that we're still pretending Ruckes and that other account didn't happen). 2088 is a bit hard to pin down, but it might be the number of tributes that had ever gone into the Games? It was early into the 88th year so that means 87 years of games. 87 x 24 2088. There's the second quarter quell to account for, but if you aren't counting the victors going in for a second time during the 3rd quarter quell then it balances out. So a better way forward called the project2088? It's interesting that it's about both the dead tributes and the survivors. Maybe something to do with getting rid of the Games? Or just a better way of doing the Hunger Games (projectMTX Project Matrix? That would explain the super advanced technology in No Apologies at least).

Cordyceps is for Last of Us, obviously, but what would that have to do with the project2088? And then I'm guessing that the ,pm for both Levi and Picaboo stands for post mortem? So some sort of autopsy? That wouldn't fit in with Matrix idea, but both of those two are tributes who "died" but due to the abilities they had in the arena were brought back to life. So is this about trying to stop any tributes from dying? And then I don't know what the post mortem report for the 102nd Hunger Games is. xx01, who would that be?

The rest of the entries up until the end mean nothing to me, but the quote at the end is interesting. I'm guessing this is a "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" reference? With the whole project being called Project Daedalus, it must be. The "old artificer" is a reference to the ancient craftsman, and "old father" in this context would be Tali's father? The only thing we know about him was from the end of No Apologies where "ad melius cras" was referenced again. So she's asking an ancient craftsman and her father who's motto is "towards a better tomorrow" to stand her "now and ever in good stead." Well, a Gamemaker is a craftsman or an artist of sort, and so the only question is how is she using that position to make a better tomorrow? I have some ideas, but I'm not certain yet. I always love puzzles, and this is still such a fun one to unpack, I'm curious to seeing more of Tali. Her appearance in the Reaping Recap just has me asking even more questions than before. Also, the last entry date is on your birthday, which I think is fun.

Away from the puzzle then, and on to the characters! A quick speedranking of them from their intros first, removing Kyler because of the inherent bias there: Ariya (such lovely prose and anaphora), May (you know how much I love music intertwined with characters), Ainsley, a tie between Everly and Vesta, Arno, Ethan. They were all so brilliant, and even my least favorite intro would be the best intro in all but one or two other SYOTs that I've ever read. Some highlights:

May's characterization was so fantastic. She's cocky and naive and privileged, which should make her annoying, but she's also sweet and earnest and empathetic in a really heartfelt way. Her relationship with her dad is so sweet and felt much more real than most daughter/father relationships are written. And her monologue on the music inherent in fighting was beautiful and revealing and stands in a sharp contrast to the brute force we see out of the rest of the Careers.

You've written Kyler better than I could ever imagine, and I've gushed about to you enough already but the main points bear repeating. The way you traversed through those key moments was fluid and dynamic and the order felt purposeful in a way that time-skips rarely do. The song choice was perfect, and the line that Dawn highlighted in her review was just so, so heartfelt. Their relationship is so unique and difficult to pin down in words, and yet you managed to portray it perfectly here. The closeness and warmth and need they both had for each other, the distance and coldness that came once she was pulled from him, the fear and anger and confusion that he's left with, all of it was so poignant.

With Ainsley you yet again perfectly skipped through time in a purposeful way, and the way you tied these different moments together with repeated lines was so subtle yet gave it a sense of togetherness that made this all feel like a single story instead of separate vignettes stitched together. So many beautiful moments, and you captured fierce determination in a way that felt earned.

It's so fascinating how you come up with new ways to structure your intros every time, and yet each chapter still feels so unique and beautiful, and every single style of intro feels right for that character. I haven't ever played Assassin's Creed, so those references went over my head, but even then the way the entire story of his life is sandwiched between the two halves of that quote -as if his very life itself is controlled and dominated by the confines that quote has placed on him- is really neat.

The prose in Ariya's intro is probably your best ever. So fluid and beautiful, the theme of water throughout and the way it seeps into even the word choice and description is simply stunning, all building up the climactic moment where she loses it all. The repetition of "and" as if Ariya is stunned to be narrating it, as if she's trying to cling on to what she's just lost, leading into the line of "And I'm 18 years old, and like water always does, it's slipped through my fingers." So, so, so beautiful. So sad in a real way. There's no cheap manipulation or tricks, you make us feel for her (even though she's objectively not a very good person) in such a short time simply by the way you tell her story. And then more beautiful, poetic prose. Rivers of blood, power signing in the ear, and showing that the end of the water anaphora wasn't her moment of defeat where she lost it all: it's ongoing, it always is, and always will be. It's a part of who she is. So beautiful. You should be so proud of this chapter.

In both Ethan and Everly's intros we see the toxic structure of District Two's academy system. District One has produced cocky, larger than life superstars, District Four has independent and driven outsiders, and District Two brings us broken, abused children chewed up, used, and spit out by an abusive system. Ethan's drive is so fragile that it's bound to break at any given moment, and Everly is already broken, her drive and determination seeming like it exists just because there is no alternative. The prose in Everly's in particular was so pretty, such beautiful description of her internal anxiety and awkwardness.

And finally there's Vesta. Her's might be the neatest and most fitting of all the intro structures. We have her whole story layed out before us, but the question remains of how much of it is real? There's obvious exaggerations, and the title of the chapter itself is purposeful, this is a fable, not a history. I suppose the answer is that it doesn't really matter. The story itself isn't what matters, it's what it shows us: the type of person that Vesta is. Someone who stakes her belief in wild, unbelievable stories and intimate love instead of the more bitter reality that we've seen the last few chapters. Whimsical is the word for this chapter, and it was really pretty and a nice change of pace from the darkness of the last few characters.

Since you asked for predictions, my early thoughts are a bit scattered and there's a lot of different ways things could play out, but my thoughts are this:

You've said that you're between six different victor choices to me, and I'm guessing that the six you're stuck between are the six careers. Having one of them win fits the theme of the story, and they all have stronger motivations and seem more easy to arc into a victor than Vesta or my dear Kyler. Out of the six, if it were me deciding, I would be looking at May, Ainsley, and Everly the hardest. They're all ripe for beautiful and heartbreaking arcs, and are strong, large personalities.

That about covers my thoughts thus far. This story is so, so poetic and beautiful, right from the title down to each and every one of these stunning intros. Keep on being amazing and writing this beautiful story for us.

All the Love,
Your friend CC
CelticGames4 chapter 13 . 5/31/2021
You know you've run out of questions when you go straight to "Who do you think should win?" I jest, I jest, lol. I don't have any strong inclinations as of yet except for bias towards my own. May would be a good one, but I feel like she need to have a big wake-up call first before she would come out. And even then I might still want her to die just because she is such an obvious choice to win. So right now I'm still up in the air. And probably will be until like finale day then I'll be super opinionated about it by then lol. Always happens.
I am liking these shorter updates! Long weekend shorter updates me staying caught up for once. I don't mind that they're shorter and I'm sure when we get to the Arena that's when things are really gonna open up.
Pierre, uh, dude, if you're gonna pick a nickname, maybe pick one whose story DOESN'T revolve entirely around their one fatal weakness lol. "Achilles didn't have any weaknesses" what a joke man, the whole point of Achilles is that it only takes one weak point to be killed. Not your brightest move there my dude.
Speaking of not bright moves, we have May. Still being real stubborn about Gal and not taking him seriously when he says Games Bad. She's been brainwashed by her District and by herself and as I said, she's gonna come crashing down real soon. The question is... How soon? We'll see if her allies even take her seriously because of her age. That's going to be a real interesting dynamic.
Keep up the good work! I will try to stay caught up as much as possible.
ladyqueerfoot chapter 13 . 5/30/2021
time to review first again!

look at may learning that her actions have consequences i understand where gal is coming from but at the same time she is a smol she is a baby she is fuckimg growing up she is doing her best but like... bestie may how do u come back from this one? ur so dead i am already sad asf

prestige i love u and i am so sorry u have to deal with pierre... bye why is he like this he is so dumb it almost seems like it is a meme there is no way he is real i hope he dies

see u tomorrow probs nice chapter
CelticGames4 chapter 12 . 5/29/2021
Blink and you'll miss the twists?! :alarmed:
That is Worrisome To Me. And yes, this was a very good reminder of the tributes for people like me that are the most forgetful ever when it comes to tributes in these stories.
I like how they really are so focused on story and narrative, rather than rooting out rebels or anything like most SYOTs. And the fact that the playing field is going to be evened out by this Arena I think will be good for the underdogs, including some of the weaker Careers that aren't machines like Pierre, but going to cause a LOT of ego wars. I'm not sure what it could be yet and SYOT Sleuthing is not my strong suit so I'm just going to leave it up to guessing. Keep up the good work!