Reviews for Picture Bride
0617hyx chapter 3 . 1/6
The theme of “Picture Bride” is the idea that hopes are often raised, but to be dashed. This is because every dream that Hana Omiya(the main character) has usually lets her down. For instance, Taro Takeda(her husband) is not the way she dreams of him. She dreamed of having a fancier home with Taro, but actually her expectation didn’t became true. Also, when Hana said that she want a baby, Kiyoshi told her to be careful with the flu. Unluckily, when Hana get pregnant, she contracts flu and loses the baby boy. Additionally, Hana thought that America will be a free country, but Taro said they were foreigns from other country so Americans weren’t always welcome them. This surprised Hana that America is totally different than what she thought about it.
0617hyx chapter 1 . 1/5
The theme of Picture Bride is the idea that hopes are often raised, but to be dashed. This is because every dream that Hana Omiya(the main character) has usually lets her down. For instance, Taro Takeda(her husband) is not the way she dreams of him. She dreams of having a son and a daughter instead. Also, Hana thinks that America would be a freedom country, but she does not really experience this as a Japanese.
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
this seemed like such an intriguing and interesting idea for a story and from the first chapter it promises to be just that. i only wish that there was some chance that you'll continue it because since the baby was born and my daughter's health problems i have very little time to invest. such is my dilemma so i shall add you to my alerts and hope you continue this.

have you seen the movie? the live action rurouni kenshin movie... if you plug in the following code in the youtube search engine you can see a few of the trailers :

yaLOPVAuJs4

it's already started to be released internationally and they've already released the dvd and blue ray in japan... there are places to download and watch it on line if you can find them. maybe it could rekindle your muse?

a pleasure,
ginny
kokoronagomu. deviantart. com
ټ
J Luc Pitard chapter 3 . 8/19/2009
I can see how this story stalled, even as it's quite exciting for the reader. Should it ever tickle your writing sense again, I'd love to see how you tie the disparate elements together.
J Luc Pitard chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
Really glad you used this as the basis of your story! I'm from Hawai'i and know a 20th century picture bride as well as several other "traditional" relationships (where either the groom or bride was chosen from Japan by the family) from the post war era. Promises to be very interesting and the shifts between first person narration and third person narration is well handled.
Lulu M chapter 3 . 5/25/2008
I've waited so long for an update ;)
Royal blueKitsune chapter 1 . 2/11/2006
Um...are you going to update this one? I'd love to see the next chapters and what you have in store for Kenshin and Kaoru! These type of stories are rare so please finish it.

*adds story to C2 Veils of Amber*
cocovanilla chapter 3 . 11/23/2005
I really like how this story is going. I have a feeling that this story will be a love triangle between Kaoru, Kenshin, and Enishi. The plotline seems original and intriguing. _ Update soon!
sueb262 chapter 3 . 6/9/2005
I'm just heartbroken at the prospect of your having abandoned this story! Is there any way that you would be able to continue? I surely hope you will re-discover this story's life in you and share it with us.
sueb262 chapter 2 . 6/9/2005
Oh, how uneasy this chapter makes me feel-just the right tone of impending, well, not doom, exactly, but certainly unwanted fate!
sueb262 chapter 1 . 6/9/2005
I've just discovered this story. What an undertaking! And how beautifully you've written the wrenching suffered by an entire generation (at least).

I almost dread reading the rest, but, of course, your writing draws me on...
skenshingumi chapter 3 . 1/15/2005
Great start to a story. Usually I am not a big fan of AU fictions but this has such potential. Great idea to use this setting and it is interesting history too. I hope you continue.
tati1 chapter 3 . 9/16/2004
*stares at paragraph with wide eyes* Oh, more, please! This is fantastic, and I can't figure out why you haven't updated it!
Cattitude chapter 3 . 6/30/2004
I really like this story. _ I hope you continue!
Misato-Katsuragi2 chapter 3 . 3/6/2004
Pretty good so far and not in the least confused. I know its been a while since you updated but can you up date as soon as you can? This is pretty darn good!