Reviews for Turn Out the Lights, Jack
DeepBlueJoy chapter 1 . 6/13/2011
Wow. That's a scary story. Scary in a way a lot more real than vampires and ghouls.

thank you for sharing it with us.

Blue
Nightcrawlerlover chapter 1 . 5/16/2010
Wow! This is really fantastic! I always wondered if being psychic and sensing when something is going to happen is hereditary, and I think this is a good piece that explores that. Plus, you did a good job with the characterization of Cassie's father too.

I especially like this part:

Sometimes I know things. Couldn't tell you how. A lot of times a customer will walk into the bank and I'll know if he's a good risk for a loan or not. We've got pretty stiff rules for deciding that stuff, of course, but now and again I'll go the extra mile for somebody who doesn't quite meet the criteria but who I know is going to succeed. Other times, I might discourage people who qualify but are going to fall on their faces. As far as I know, I've never been wrong, which is pretty much the only reason I still have a job.

I was a lot younger then, though. Didn't necessarily know what I knew. I just had this terrible feeling inside me, and I didn't want to face it, so I tried to think my way out of it. Maybe I felt bad for other reasons. Maybe it was because having a child meant the end of being young and free, or because all the anticipation was over, or something. Over time, I made myself forget where the feeling came from, or when it had started, or why, but it never went away.

I tried to be a good husband, a good father. But more and more, when I wasn't with them, I was with you. Don't get me wrong, I loved them - I loved Cassie so much I could hardly stand it - but you're the one who helps me. You keep the lights off so I don't have to see. You muffle all the little voices.

I tried, but I got so tired of the show. Being the right kind of father, and husband, and neighbor. I went back to the bars and the fighting, the things I knew from before. It kept my head empty. It lost me Angie, of course; it lost me almost everything except my job, and that won't be long now, because I can't keep the show going there much longer, either.

The voices are louder than ever - the ones that say I've wasted my life, my marriage, and my career. They show me pictures, too, of me crashing my car or choking to death on my own vomit like Hendrix. I can live with those voices, though. I've been hearing them for a long time, and you've always been able to shut them up.

But there's a new voice, now, and I really need you to get to work on it, because what it says hurts more than any of the others. It tells me that maybe I should have enjoyed the time I had with Cassie instead of hanging around with you, waiting for it to be over.

Turn out the lights, Jack. I can't watch this show anymore.

Good job writing this! :) (And the name "Cassandra" from which "Cassie" is derived from, is a good name for Cassie's character because, like Cassandra in Greek mythology, she also was able to accurately predict the future. However, because of a curse put on her by Apollo, the god of love, nobody believed her predictions. Likewise, nobody believed Cassie when she made all those predictions - especially the one about her own death - until it was too late and Cassie died. Buffy felt she had failed Cassie - a normal thing to do in times of grief - but Dawn told her that she didn't fail Cassie and did her best to help her in any way. "She died because of her heart, not because of you.")

Keep up your awesome, superb writing! :)
Lakrids chapter 1 . 10/13/2003
The story makes an eerie kind of sense. Both with the lore that clairvoyance is heritable, and that it will be hard to hold on to hope, with a predestined worldview.

Thanks for the story
Leanne8582 chapter 1 . 9/8/2003
This was really good. Not only was it an unusual and interesting perspective, but it was also a (pardon the pun) sobering look at alcoholism as a disease. I liked it.
HecatonchiresLM chapter 1 . 7/21/2003
I don't really get the link to buffy...
knbnnate chapter 1 . 7/10/2003
What can I even say? This was terribly awesome. Keep up the good work.
BK the irregular chapter 1 . 6/8/2003
Seriously good stuff. Dark, disturbing, but rightly so - captures the mood of "Help" very well. Nicely done.
aeryn chapter 1 . 6/3/2003
Wow - a real angstorama, but one that followed the 'Help' plotline and expressed Cassie's father's grief. I loved the way you wrote with such insight and a sense of wisdom and maturity. Your characterization was dead-on, and I think this is a fantastic backstory for Mr Newton. Great job. :D