Reviews for Towards Freedom
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
This was an excellent story! Well done!
Duilin chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
Wow! This was something, though slightly shadowed, magnificent to read! It really makes people think...
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 6/17/2009
the beginning was too confusing. too, not choppy, but bouncy guess. i know what you were going for, but it is a little too unclear.

despite that, DAMN. very well done. loved the ending especially.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 6/10/2005
I'm always blown away by your descriptions. They tend to be really significant, more than mere background. These hints of the situation are just chilling. I can almost hear and see them - at Beren's cry of "Finrod!" I was close to tears.

There are some perceptive musings here - on fate, courage, despair - and you bring them through without letting us forget what's going on for a moment. I don't know how you manage to put drama and philosophy in the same story. Like several of your other fics, this puts a story I thought I knew in a whole different light - one of the functions of the best fanfiction. Thank you so much.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 6/26/2003
I love the narrative style that you adopted for this fic. And there are many very cool themes here, cowardice from hope, courage from despair-it certainly seems true of the elves. The idea of placing all the "blame" on the song seems to me just one step short of blind faith in God/Iluvatar. And there is a feeling of Luthien having waited all this time for Beren, isn't there? Why else would she not have married in all that time? (Ok, maybe because Thingol's an overprotective father.)

The formatting of the fic especially came through at the end. A great use of space to convey the story. Must be those poetic insticts of yours. :)
dauntless-hurin chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
Ah! My breath has been taken away! That was simply wonderful!

Courage, cowardice, hope, despair, the story was so poetic, and the last shout of "Finrod!" makes me want to cry, thinking that such a wonderful elf died in such a seemingly pointless way. But we all know that's not the end of the story, don't we?;)
Artanis chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
Oh, this is so sad! But a great concept indeed! Concept stems from despair and cowardice from hope. It's very poignant. Your spacing in this fic helps the atmosphere and the language is poetic and nice. Great fic.
Maid of Ainur chapter 1 . 6/6/2003
Hmm... provocative. Voices in the dark.

Never anyone's fault, eh?
Tinni chapter 1 . 6/3/2003
This is good. Certainly a novel way of writing it. Feels a lot like a play script without the stage directions.
Lipstick chapter 1 . 6/3/2003
*feeling dizzy and somewhat out of metaphors*

Well I can certainly picture them, stuck together in the dungeon. I love Beren's irony, you know I never thought he had it in him to be anything but a cardboard cut out hero, but you proved me wrong.

Here he's not just mortal, he's human too.

And it never is anyone's fault with elves. Oh so true, so well put.

I am going to shut up now. But this is brilliant.

And the bit about courage and despair. I think Maedhros tried to tell me that once, but he lacked your gift for being short and to the point. (lipstick would have said succinct if she could spell it.)