Reviews for Eye of the Beholder
Darkrin chapter 1 . 12/14/2006
Beautiful! A wonderful Fingon and Maedy fic!

Was it freckles all along? I think that's really adorable.
Amaurea2007 chapter 1 . 2/2/2005
*Gapes and dies of amazement* AWESOME! Absolutely amazing. Im so glad to find good fics about my fave Silmarillion character. This is beautifully written and immeasurably deep. Keep the great work coming!
Sirielle chapter 1 . 1/12/2005
Very good story, excelent desciption of captured Maedhros and the recue.

I liked the whole narration in the story :)

I liked also very much the comparison of singing withs screaming and the Sun which had to burn him enough at the Thangorodrim to make him hate it. Poor Maglor, Maitimo should told him what was he feeling, at least of the Sun.

I enjoyed also the freckles, very good and smart idea. Although I misunderstood the part with an orchid (I am not native speaker) so I didn't knew almost till the end wat's going on ;) But I've caught finally ;) Uh what a torture to pin all the body arround... Acid? Needles? Teeth? ;)

Good job! :D

Pitty only that it might be untrue. According to The History of Middle Earth Nerdanel had no freckles and so her sons... There is no note of freckles at all, just a 'ruddy complexion' of Nerdanel which inherited only Caranthir (huh!).

The origin of elven red hair is different than in the case of Mortals. JRRT 'HoME' XII, The Shibboleth of FĂ«anor, note 61: [Nerdanel's father] He loved copper, and set it above gold. (...) He usually wore a band of copper about his head. His hair was not as dark or black as was that of most of the Noldor, but brown, and had glints of coppery-red in it. Of Nerdanel's seven children the oldest, and the twins (a very rare thing among the Eldar) had hair of this kind. The eldest also wore a copper circlet.

So it came from wearing the copper loved by grandfather. O_o Quite freaky ;) I have never seen any information of freckless. There are two possible explanations. There was no freckles for it was different with elves from the way Mortals tan by Sun and have freckless from it (as I've heard elves do not tun at all and they can stare into Sun directly without harm, but have no quotation for it ;) ). Or as Dragon-of-the-north wrote - nobody thought of it before 8)

Hathor (Sirielle)
Dragon-of-the-north chapter 1 . 8/30/2003
This is a very good story - not only because the intense portrayal of Maedhros' suffering and slow recovery, but also because of the contrast between the seriousness of the whole, sad situation - and the almost absurd little detail that worries every observer most... I must admit that - although the story is serious enough - one line brought a rather inappropriate grin to my face. Describing freckled skin as similar to the "spotted petals of a rare orchid" is just glorious - and, in a way, very elvish... And it is very amusing that nobody (except for you) ever seems to think about what being exposed to the sun might cause to red-haired Maedhros' skin indeed... Great job! :-)
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 6/5/2003
Damn apparently ate my review from yesterday. So here's attempt number 2. Suffice it to say you portray the pain of Maedhros's recovery (both physical and emotional) very well. And I love the revalation about the true nature of his most disturbing 'scars' - it manages to be both surprising and utterly predictable, given what we know about the eldest son of Feanor's physical characteristics.
Delphinidae chapter 1 . 6/5/2003
Of the stories I've read on this event, I think this one is probably my favorite. It was nicely narrated and full of emotion. I liked the description about Maglor's worries, and Fingon's wishing to see the brothers on good terms with each other. Of course, the worry over the freckles was my favorite part. Red hair gene traits are fun, aren't they? _ (Actually, having read that the gene for red hair also causes reddish haired people to produce something like 20% more [than blond or brunette people] of the chemical that increases pain sensitivity or something is making me feel even more sorry for Maedhros- wonder if that applies to Elves though. O_o)