Reviews for In This Labyrinth
AlbaMerula chapter 8 . 4/16/2011
I'd bet on Clarice. First, because she was taught to fight, and she's clever enough not to get strangled in the first few sec's; I think she's harder to defeat than the people Erik met back in Persia. I believe there's a bit of female pride on placing my bet as well; and finally, she migh need to talk some sense into his head, which is easier is she proved herself in a fight before.

The characters are very well captured, I like details like Hannibal's choice of song or the introspection-like description about what his hands do. That's very much like he was in the novels.

I also loved how Erik was not in the cemetery. This practically shows that we cannot take anything for sure from the course of events from any version - this makes it very exciting!
AlbaMerula chapter 7 . 4/6/2011
A very long and very intense chapter.

The mind of Hannibal is not a comfortable place to be in - but even if he fails to realize the working of his own brain, at least he recognises a few decisions. (But that doesn't mean I like them - my God, poor Firmin!)

Briliantly written, with many well-chosen details (like the remark about smiles and francs; or Firmin apologising his wife) - but it makes me want to yell at the characters, and beg them to run for cover.

The Clarice facing Hannibal scene was immensely powerful! The mutual mirrors notion is a great one, and, yes, she does have the ability to frighten him, too.

Random things I liked:

Hannibal and Clarice repeating the line "Too late, too late now, and no way to go but forward…" - God, they DO mirror each other;

and Christine, fidgeting "the folds of her dress, rolling them through her fingers as intently and nervously as she would a rosary." So very her.
AlbaMerula chapter 6 . 4/6/2011
A chapter that started dark and ended in chills...

[My brain, in order to save itself from freezing, popped up a quote from Terry Pratchett, from a similar "let's deny it" scene, that I am in now: "Of course, just because we've heard a spine-chilling, blood-curdling scream of the sort to make your very marrow freeze in your bones doesn't automatically mean there's anything wrong." End of ch-ch-chatter.]

I loved the "sudden darkness in her box as the chandelier sung away" - it made me see it, feel the shadow, feel the fear. Brilliant.

What does Buquets body do anywhere above ground? Has Erik changed his mind, or was it someone else? (What does Hannibal do with his 24/7, anyway?)

I liked the "the silence of the immense Opera House oppressively pressing in upon her ears like layers of wool, suffocating and hot." And also the paragraph when "It was five minutes before Clarice realized that she was shouting"; and also Hannibals reaction. I bet he's not that calm, though.

Erik on the rooftops was simply perfect: the mixture of Kay and Webber, the rain (and noticing the opera-potential), talking to himself, and his visit in Clarice's mind.

As for Hannibal... I really appreciated the the explanation about their relationship ("He had closed his eyes to ponder the games played with the feisty cub and opened them to find her looking right back at him, a full-grown lioness with the capacity to frighten him.").

"A trigger that Clarice had unwittingly set off" - she WHAT? How? (Re-reads the part, then throwes oneself to the next chapter.)
AlbaMerula chapter 5 . 4/6/2011
Clarice and her ability to indentify with people she needs to help... catching all the details, not denying the less flattering memories of herself. No surprise she attracts so many people: Christine, Raoul, the readers...

A small note:

"And that voice! So took awhile for Erik to recognize it as his own"

I believe this is somewhat problematic. Someone who used to teach me to sing mentioned once, that we can't hear our voice as others do, except when it's recorded. Voice is vibration, which usually reaches our ears through the air, but when we sing or talk, the way we hear ourselves include the vibrations coming through our tissues, thus altering what we will eventually hear.

If my teacher was right, Erik may find Hannibals voice very familiar, or very similar to his own; or sounding like the recording of his voice; but he would not recognize it.

Hannibal is so himself, throwing in random details of his vast knowledge - ones that are not so random, after all... No doubt he is fascinated with someone so similar to him. (Any blood ties to be revelaed later?)

I loved Erik's pipelines; but why must you torture yourself with not closing Buquets eyes, letting him stare at you? Since you already decided to bury him, you might as well give in to the impulse, Erik...

This part:

C: "Angel, my angel…"

E: "Please… don't call me that."

imagining his voice, broken and beautiful, was about to break my heart.
AlbaMerula chapter 4 . 4/6/2011
Very good Hannibal/Clarice - it wouldn't be him if he didn't tease, and it wouldn't be Clarice not to reply him the way she does.

Favourite description: "the enclosure felt like a mother's embrace rather than a constricting cage". So very Erik, that place, no surprise it bears the depths of his soul...

Clarice with Buquet was brilliant; and so was Erik's timing.

Buquet at Erik's lair... OUCH. I'm very sorry, for both of them.
AlbaMerula chapter 3 . 4/6/2011
I loved the "Your Father hears you" quote; yes, they do have lots in common (while being opposites in other respects, eg. self-confidence).

So Hannibal and Erik have a similar voice? Delicious and scary at the same time. Also, we'll need some extra caution when we follow unseen angelic voices, I guess...

One of my favourite lines (Raouls dinner invitation): "Something about the way he'd said it told her that Christine hadn't had much say in the matter."

Nice touch with the locked-and-open door at the end!

(AND Erik got the girl in the end, as he asked... it was not specified wether he meant the chapter or the story. Suppose he wants them both, plus all the time in between.)
AlbaMerula chapter 2 . 4/6/2011
HANNIBAL... and CLARICE... Hannibal WITH Clarice...

It is not something I ever expected, but they seem to work well together, even if I need some time to adjust to them.

Hannibal with his intelligence and peculiar style is a hard one to catch, but their dialogues ring fine. True to Harris.

Congrats for that!
AlbaMerula chapter 1 . 4/4/2011
Lovely beginning - I love the dialogue-likeness of it, the character replying to the author. (Left me grinning, and immediately made into my all-time favourite opening sentences.)

Buquet is a lot likeable as he is in most interpretations.

I have no idea about Mme. Fell; there's only two Hannibals I can recall, but about the second one I've only read two books (Lambs and the Dragon), and I don't remember any aristocrats, let alone a married couple of them.

I suppose I must read on (and so I'll cut this review short, yielding to my curiosity).

I also love the ending of the chapter - I like the first impressions of this Ghost, especially the kind humor of it ("He who missed nothing that occurred in his Opera House (he conveniently chose to ignore the falling backdrop)").

Structure is also a strong point of this chapter: the part about Christine stumbling, and some of the linking between parts are simply exquisite.
bwayphantomrose chapter 1 . 4/23/2008
I love musical stories! I can't wait to see how it goes!
Fiere chapter 31 . 9/21/2007
Cheers, to an amazingly written story and fleshed-out world.

Cheers, to the characters, all of whom I have grown to love dearly in the two days it took me to finish this monster.

Cheers, to giving me a reason to keep my butt at my desk during the drought of work when otherwise I would've much rather gone home. )

Simply incredible, I commend you. Masterfully done.

Elizabeth chapter 2 . 4/24/2007
*splutters* Clarice. . . Hannibal. . . Fell. . .

The Silence of the Lambs?

HA! You rock!
Fantome chapter 31 . 8/17/2006
Aw! That was wonderful. I'm holding my little one in my lap at this moment as she tries to pound out nonsense on the keyboard. I'm going to miss this story so much. Really, it's one of my favorites and the best crossover of any type I've ever read. I look forward to seeing the revisions you're working on. Thanks so much for all the enjoyment I got from this story.
Lozzles chapter 2 . 8/16/2006
Great story so the characters of Clarice and Hannibal, but slight confusion. I thought that in your first chapter you mentioned that Christine has blonde hair, and later you switched to brown curls. Which one is it?
Morleigh chapter 30 . 7/23/2006
In my last one, I meant understanding about needing reviews, not updates. Just to clear things up.

Now the review:

This last chapter made it clear that all the characters, not just Hannibal, have a long way to go. But where they have come from throughout this story and where you have chosen to end it makes it seems like redemption is possible and that's part of the allure of the Phantom universe.

The subtlety and depth of the emotions has made this story very enjoyable from the beginning and I hope you continue to write.

Great job!
Fantome chapter 30 . 7/12/2006
It's always such a treat to see an update. I'll be sad to see it finished! Your writing style is growing even more wonderful and smooth, such as the bit about the real owners of the house. I loved that Raoul guessed what happened. Well done all around.