Reviews for Strandpiel, Book Two
A.A. Pessimal chapter 24 . 9/16
16/9/21 at 12/;06/; apparently I've got 33 reviews but only 32 are showing, just counted them. Mystery. Just checking if this one (no 33 out of 34) goes up or if there's some sort of delay. Nothing stuck in "moderate reviews", checked there too...
CarrieVS chapter 24 . 9/15
The "unexpected fourth child" footnote reminds me of a thought I had - if I remember rightly, your story that ended with Johanna and Ponder becoming an item and old anti-sourcery precautions being reviewed (was it Fresh Pair of Eyes?) declared that everything would be fine as long as they stopped at, at most, seven children.

But what if, after having six children, the seventh turned out to be a seventh AND an eighth? So you stop at six to be safe - but what about triplets? Even quads do occasionally occur naturally. As far as I know, higher-order multiples than four are essentially unheard of except with fertility treatments (though I don't know of any reason why it's not theoretically possible, just vanishingly unlikely.)

Anyway, it doesn't sound like the question is going to come up if they plan to stop at three. Even if they have an unexpected fourth pregnancy AND the hugely unlikely circumstance of quads comes up, they'll still only be up to seven. But just throwing it out there as a contemplation.

(Gosh, it's a day for Blast from the Past reviews from me...)
Lillith The Nocturnal chapter 24 . 9/13
On the topic of older characters: I was of the opinion that the latter books were setting up a sort of "changing of the guard" with younger characters slowly taking up more and more responsibilities. It would have been perfectly in character for Venetari to have been subtly mentoring his successor without them knowing it. The first they would have known about it is when the Guild Council start talking about who should succeed Venetari when The Promise Made To All From Birth finally comes due and the Council can't think of anyone else who would be better than them...which is what Venetari had planned all along. I mean, he seems to have revolutionised the Mail and the Mint/Bank and ensured that the Railways succeeded, so who else would be better than Moist von Lipwig?
KsandraMallan chapter 23 . 9/10
I appreciate all your posts! as someone who's a natural speed reader, having new material to read is always a good day.

I look forward to seeing what the senior Air Witches make of Hartebeeste.
bissek chapter 22 . 9/8
One thing about magical hierarchies. Witches normally don't have a formal one, but they do have an informal one achieved by general consensus centering around how long they've been witching and what they've accomplished. Wizards have a formal one, that is highly rigid. There is one Level 9 wizard (the Archchancellor), eight Level 8 wizards, 64 level seven, and so on down to level 2, with level 1 being ungraduated students. And this has been codified in the lore since the days of Alberto Malich (which are still technically three seconds from ending, and have been since Soul Music). Which meant that the only way to rise was to fill a slot emptied by someone higher up vacating theirs, which generally meant someone dying or retiring, hence the Dead Man's Pointy Shoes tradition. Mustrum ended that tradition by being unkillable, and Ponder is implicitly untouchable by the twin facts of holding the administration of the University in place and having a very dangerous wife, but how is the university handling an entire generation of highly limited advancement opportunities caused by this tradition being ended?

Also, Mustrum is about the same age as Granny Weatherwax, so it stands to reason that Death is mustering his courage for a very dangerous harvest coming up soon, at which point a lot of university positions will be available for shuffling.
Love your stuff. Any idea how long this book will end up being. I'd really love to get back to Rebekka and the scissors
ivanthemostlysane chapter 21 . 9/2
Ah, you missed the perfect opportunity to use the Classic Blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Rodinia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Brindisian when death is on the line"!
rga156 chapter 20 . 8/20
Another excellent chapter. I personally have no problem at all with the pace of the story and look forward to each installment. The only downside is that longer chapters arrive less frequently! Your world building is both consistent and detailed, and the storyline is engaging.
caeciliusinhorto chapter 18 . 7/11
Hmm, the van Jaasveld's plaas continues to sound like Bad News. I hope Bekki is careful!

Is Mariella thinking about brewing beer with all those grains?

Looking forward to seeing where this is going...
KsandraMallan chapter 17 . 7/2
Wellnow. it'll be interesting to see what the magic in the Matryoshka dolls does... I do enjoy the conversation between Mariella and Rebecka.
Fairy blue chapter 16 . 6/22
Yeah if any species is going to ever end up human smart it’s going to be a corvid of some breed I’d say
KsandraMallan chapter 16 . 6/17
I do love your stories. Real life has been a bit of a bugger lately but I'm always glad for your stuff. Bekki is one of my favorites, and I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of trouble she gets into back on her Steading.
DrFrankenburger chapter 16 . 6/14
I just use 'adolescent' for any creature on the cusp of adulthood. Many species go through such a phase, and in at least one it can be a pain in the neck for parents trying to do their best to cope with adolescent behaviour-staying out until silly o'clock in the morning, getting knee walking drunk, not respecting their elders, grumble, moan,grumble...
rga156 chapter 16 . 6/14
Hurrah! Another chapter! I was getting withdrawal symptoms. Which is not a criticism. The echoes of Bekki's future are tantalising and worrying. I feel for future Ruth, faced with such a dilemma. Excellent world building!
bissek chapter 16 . 6/13
In terms of striking, if Discworld is templated on Britain, from 1954-1995, strikes were so common in Britain that they averaged 250,000 man-days of labor lost due to strikes per year. The 70s-80s Britcom Yes, Minister had the position of Minister For Industrial Harmony (the post responsible for preventing and mediating strikes) be considered a political graveyard for this reason. So having strikes be a semi-regular problem is hardly implausible.