Reviews for What I Have Made For Hope
PSW chapter 1 . 1h
This was really a good idea. I completely agree with your author's note about the importance of this type of contribution, too... Thanks for writing!
Morbid DramaQueen10 chapter 1 . 8/31/2014
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
Anhk d'Aiath chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
I've loved this simple beautiful.
mistrali chapter 1 . 3/4/2008
I love the contrasts in your story: light within darkness, hope within despair, love beside war, and the cycle of creation-destruction-creation, each giving rise to the other.

Kudos for your recognition of Arwen's role! She's an important character, and I don't think Tolkien did her justice.

Hope this helps!
lettres d'amour chapter 1 . 10/24/2007
I never knew there was such a similarity between Betsy Ross and Arwen.

This was a beautifully written piece and it shows that noncombatant women can be strong.
Lilan chapter 1 . 8/27/2007
Hi! It was Cressida who recommended your story to me, and I come back to it today, just to be re-captivated with it.

I think I'm just as impressed by your foreword as by the story itself! What stands out especially in this lovely ficlet is this quiet dignity your Arwen possesses. I love the picture you have painted with words...my very favorite bit is "And so her marriage linen will be a battle standard..."

I'm afraid I'll start to ramble if I go on for much longer, but I'll still say that this is, well, beautiful. Actually, more beautiful to me than Eowyn brooding about being in "a cage of marriage" for her entire life (sometimes getting suicidal). You've done a great job, you've given me a great read, and I thank you for it.

Lilan
GOGreen13 chapter 1 . 5/7/2007
AWSEOME!Women are as or more tough as men-after all they're the ones who wait at home,take care of the kids about feminine strength and independence!
Cressida1 chapter 1 . 2/21/2007
Wow...this has been one of my favorite stories for ages. I can't believe I've never written a review of it! So here goes. This is my favorite Arwen-based story ever, and it made me see book-Arwen in a whole new light. I particularly like the part about how she doesn't WANT to think about war, even though she realizes that it's the only way out for everyone. I'm really glad you wrote this story.
Arda-Xanth chapter 1 . 4/11/2005
This is a nice story. I don't especially like Arwen, (though I'm a die-hard Arwen/Aragorn purist) but you did a nice job with it and kept her in character, which is a rarity among the warrior Arwens and plentiful Mary Sue fics. I loved the double meaning in the title.
Blodeuedd chapter 1 . 1/21/2005
Admirable work. The comparison to Betsey Ross is especially insightful and makes Arwen's 'I sewed through the entire Third Age' a bit more sympathetic. This is definitely going on my faves. Thanks for reviewing my story! I look forward to reading and reviewing much more of your fantastic work. I'm so happy to have found a Tolkienite/history buff like myself...
Lamiel chapter 1 . 8/30/2004
This is beautiful. The symbolism of the banner is wonderfully interwoven with the physical actions of sewing it, "The needle stabs, short and sharp, drawing mithril to fill the hole it leaves behind." and Arwen's meditations as she works. There's something just so moving about the simple repetition of the act, "Prick. Tug. Shr." Beautifully done.
Ren chapter 1 . 8/21/2004
I enjoyed ths thoroughly. SO beautiful...
Raven Aorla chapter 1 . 7/19/2004
I'm putting this on my favorites. Yes, I agree that Arwen was not being weak. If there were no gentleness, no beauty, and no peace, there would be nothing to fight for.
Mauve Alert chapter 1 . 6/26/2004
Does it need repeating? Very good.

I like how you made the point that while women, as a rule, never fought during wars until recently, that doesn't mean that what they do is any less important. (I'm a bit of a feminist, so I love that type of thing.)
Werecat99 chapter 1 . 6/6/2004
This is probably the only story I've read so far that does Tokkien's Arwen justice. I enjoyed your style; honest, with good but not overdone descriptions and respect to both readers and canon.

Good work.