Reviews for Claiming the Throne
Mikkalea Luna chapter 15 . 1/5
Hi,

I know that this story is quite old, but I still wanted to tell you that I enjoyed it very much! I always wondered what would happen if Denethor lives... I searched long for a story just like this one, because I wanted him to be a bit redeemed. (Especially after movie!Denethor, who was shown as quite cruel) I always thought, that a meeting between Aragorn and Denethor could be really interesting, because they have already known each other in the past. And I think, that in some things they were quite similiar.
So, what can I say: Your story is really everything I searched for! Imagine my surprise :D
Toaofwriting chapter 15 . 4/6/2014
Wonderful job. Very well written.
gginsc chapter 15 . 2/24/2014
A well written story. I have enjoyed it.
Guest chapter 15 . 1/13/2013
...I can tolerate this Denethor, but is it wrong of me to sing gospel when Denethor dies in canon? I just cannot stand that man.
Nimloth9 chapter 15 . 4/24/2011
I cried in the end! Such a beautiful story! I have always wondered what would have happened if Denethor was still alive when Sauron fell. Denethor is a good man, and a wise Steward, and I admire and love him for doing what he did in your story. Thanks for writing this!
Feafea chapter 15 . 2/17/2010
I love this story! The way you portrayed Aragorn and Denethor was absolutely great! This story is going onto my favorites!
Ides of March chapter 15 . 6/24/2007
This is has been a lovely read - everyone is in character, the language is wonderful, and the plot very pleasing. I had a smile on my face through most of it.
conan98002 chapter 15 . 1/13/2006
I usually dont read lotr fanfiction but this was done very makes me kind of wonder what would have happened if borimer hadnt died
Aine Tassorosso chapter 15 . 8/17/2003
This is a really good story; I've often wondered about this possibility, that Denethor might have survived and you have written a very realistic story illustrating all the various difficulties etc. that poor Aragorn would face. My only nitpick is that the singular of DĂșnedain is DĂșnadan, rather than DĂșnedan. Other than that, great job!
grumpy chapter 15 . 7/31/2003
very good ending, I ws even crying for Denethor at the end, he wasn't such a bad old man
Caleniel chapter 15 . 7/31/2003
Thank you for writing this, Eledhwen, reading it has been a great pleasure!

I think you have offered a very interesting and believable alternative ending, and somehow it gives even more depth to the tragedy of Denethor's fall, to read such a credible version of what might have been.

I love the detailed story line, and while the story was very moving, you also had me laughing out loud in several places, such as when the elven lords enter the city:

'He inclined his head, stiffly, and tried to remember where he had heard the name "Glorfindel" before.' Wonderful detail! And I could quote many more.

Your language is very consistent and well in line with the story. One small specific nit-pick: In the battle scene before the black gate, I thought the use of the word 'adrenalin' was a bit anacronistic and didn't fit the tone too well - you are free to disagree completely with this of course!

Again, thank you! Poor Denethor, that he never lived to be healed like this!
Nell Marie chapter 15 . 7/30/2003
Lovely story. I enjoyed every chapter.

I hope you write another soon.

NM
estelcontar chapter 14 . 7/30/2003
Im sorry this story will be over soon. I enjoyed reading it so much, that I was looking forward to coming here and finding a new chapter.

Yes, I imagine it is scary to write Galadriel, shes such a complex and mysterious character. I liked the way you introduced her. It sounds like Galadriel.
shirebound chapter 14 . 7/30/2003
This is so magnificently written, Eledhwen. You've woven together pieces of Prof. Tolkien's tale while opening it up in a whole new direction.

"All my life," he said, "all my life I have been waiting for this, for you."

Sigh.
barb m chapter 14 . 7/30/2003
this story has been great, love aragorn and twins, and now that the elves have arrived Denethor has lightened up some, i guess he is only trying to do his job