Reviews for The Parting Arrow
zoe alice chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
Poor Legolas never really saw the trees again.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/12/2011
Brilliant!

unplugged32 chapter 1 . 1/17/2004
what a sad, yet beautiful vignette. the legend you created is wonderfully original, it's consequences a perfect foreshadowing of legolas' ultimate fate - gorgeous writing:)
Elfwing-Angel chapter 1 . 11/23/2003
Wow, Eled, that is a beautiful little fic! I love the idea of a tradition of omen, it captures a culture in one little gesture. I wish the story hadn't ended, truely. It would make a great mini-fic about Legolas's coming to grips with not coming home... And what about when Thranduil hears the Arrow fell? So many possibilities!
Daisy Brambleburr chapter 1 . 10/26/2003
Very interesting tradition, I liked how you wrote it in to the story and made Legolas leaving seem rather uneasy. I enjoyed this, nice work.

Daisy.
Sorrow Reminisce chapter 1 . 9/16/2003
Beautifully written! I can really feel the urgency in the story and I love the characterisation. You had me riveted to the screen from the start and although I know it was standalone, I still wish it hadn’t come to an end. The superstition was well thought out and very believable. I can truly see that being a tradition the Elves would follow.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
There are a couple of interesting premonitions here. First, of course it *is* said that Mirkwood 'failed in its guard', though by Aragorn, not Mithrandir. Then, of course, there is Legolas' capture by the Sea and the loyalty to Aragorn that develops, both of which prevent his permanent return to Mirkwood. Thranduil perhaps foresees something of both misfortunes, trying to forestall them with words to the contrary, while Legolas seems to accept these fates.
JastaElf chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
This is VERY nice! Entirely appropriate to the challenge, and it fills a blank spot left in canon, in a most canonical fashion! Your writing is excellent, and your characterizations are tight and really quite wonderful. I especially liked that Legolas took so calmly the outcome of the omen... it seems so very "like" him in so many ways, not to hyperventilate and have a cow as he might have done were someone else writing this. VERY nice job, thank you!
Jay of Lasgalen chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
I think this is excellent. Very short, but so well written. I like the idea of this tradition about firing an arrow into the trees - and how concerned Legolas and his companions must be. They must feel it is an omen his death.

Good characterisations of both Legolas and Thranduil. Many thanks to the Mirkwood Castle site for the link!

Jay
daw the minstrel chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
Interesting vignette. You can feel the hurry of the elves in the urgency of their situation. And you can also feel the uncertainty that Legolas experiences at the end. "Anticipation and fear": a mixed combination.
Nilmandra chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
Wow, very nicely done. What a believable and well made superstition or tradition to be held by the wood elves. How prophetic for Legolas, too.
unused132546757 chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
Wow. That was so beautifuly bittersweet. It was so good. The way Legolas quietly realises that perhaps this will be the most important journy of his life and he may never return home. Really good but really sad. Keep writing!

~Chocolat elf:)
Wild Iris chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
Very satisfying piece - beautifully measured, and impressively packing context, action and denouement into the short space. Legolas' stoic reaction to the omen was very appropriate to his character. Interesting, too, that his comrades' reactions weren't noted - I wonder whether they were worried for their own futures?
Dark Arwen chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
That was a really good little story... I really enjoyed it. It was very well written, and I hope you get great reviews on it :)

feather
Karri chapter 1 . 6/15/2003
Excellent! Well thought out, very plausible superstition, beautiful writing.