Reviews for Withered Hope: The 24th Annual Hunger Games
goldie031 chapter 7 . 2/13
Hiya trace! So happy you’re dabbling in being back :goldieblob: I know this review is super late but better late than never, right? And then I’ll be all caught up!

I loved this Regulus chapter! Like you said, it shows off your D1 worldbuilding really well. The selection ball? So neat. The hall of sarcophagi? Absolutely epic and so D1. And also giving us a chance to see the relationship between Ametrine and Regulus early is always a treat. I love how, even in this early, blighted Panem, we get to see this model of Career as simply interested in glory. It’s such a natural human instinct too to want to be remembered. I just hope Regulus gets it!

A bit of a skimpy review because I read this in, like, July. But a great chapter as always! Over to the next :)
OCTAVIA! I like your D2 world building, and it was interesting to read about life in the quarries, which isn't often explored in fanon or canon. I can't wait for the next update!
Nemris chapter 8 . 1/23
Octavia seems like the "underdog" of a career, not terribly dissimilar to last times Cordelia, though she clearly has a lot of her own to bring to the table as well. She is the only 17 year old career this time, which makes her stand out just a bit. Depending on how the rest of the Careers turn up, she might be somewhat of a Pariah in the pack as well, but we'll see. Since she seems to be almost from another caste of her District, I kinda wait eagerly to see how Mordred will treat her.
Octavia is very solid, just very solid. She had good character, good potential, nothing that hit a wrong note with me. I look forward to leaving behind the Octavia of Greymist and seeing Octavia the Career.
While you face your educational trials, remember us poor souls suffering from fic deprivation here. May the spirit of writing flow smoothly. Still so many tributes to go through, and I can't wait to meet them.
Love:
Like: Ametrine, Octavia
Neutral:
Dislike:
Hate:
Keep up the good work.
Sparky She-Demon chapter 8 . 1/23
This was definitely well worth the wait. I like Octavia. I got inside her head pretty well.

Now I know who is next. I cannot wait to meet him!
ladyqueerfoot chapter 2 . 8/9/2021
am i catching up? yes...

bye why is corio like this? this is a stupid memoir. i am just sitting here blowing away the prologue reviews thats it k bye
darthnell chapter 7 . 7/16/2021
Regulus is such a neat lad so far.. He defintitely seems hella gung-ho about this Hunger Games shit, as one would expect of a D1 lad. Idk if he has like.. as much drive as Ametrine does though, but they seem like they'll be a good team together and I love that for them.. ;-; He certainly seems competent as a Career, but I feel like there's a lot he's gonna end up learning when it comes to the Games.. like he seems to have a set way of thinking how things are gonna turn out, and I just don't think things are gonna go his way 100% of the time wheeze.. (based on this cast, there are definitely gonna be some roadblocks I don't think he'll expect to be meeting lol).

Also your D1 worldbuilding is absolutely gorgeous btw. It really seems like almost as fairy-tale as the Capitol, honestly. At least for these guys, the blight doesn't seem to be hitting them too hard, not if they're still throwing their regular academy galas and shit.. and the district itself seems so gorgeous and rich (in money and in detail) and like. Colorful? It's interesting to see it like this and then think of how they attained such privilege. Definitely feels like the luxury district though. And the part about the catacombs with the dead tributes laid to rest in golden sarcophoguses.. God, that's so D1 I love it.. and really fitting for Regulus as a character, like. It seems like he'd be just as happy ending up there as he would winning the Games wheeze.. "Golden Zealot" was a good descriptor for him. (Also the bit about the other districts not getting to keep the tributes' bodies oh my god.. that's so subtle but Oof. ;-; I know they get them back in canon, but that's definitely something to think that it wasn't always like that..)
Lumi84 chapter 7 . 7/13/2021
My first initial thoughts are that I like her! I wasn’t sure at first but I’ve already warmed up to her. She’s definitely an underdog compared to the rest of the trainees and I assume the careers, which makes her even easier to root for! I think her struggles with poverty has given her a much different outlook, which will be a refreshing change to the other careers too. I like how stubborn and how willing she is to succeed, even if the face of adversity. I think it’ll make her a strong contender, though I’m scared the games might shatter some of her determination. Especially seeing how confident she is and she’s somewhat reliant on fate. It might be a harsh waking up call :/.
The world building was also really interesting. I love the idea of guilds and how they all impact the citizens of 1.
foxfox12 chapter 2 . 7/2/2021
this chapter was really well-written, i feel like it had many layers and i could idk *feel* what was going on because of the word choice and writing style! i feel like this particular format actually really worked, typically i'm not a fan but it's easy to pull off and you did well! as for the actual characters, it's interesting to see Coriolanus, Gaius, and Malona up close as they are effectively governing the country and i feel like it's an interesting power dynamic i'm excited to explore more. i love the creativity and the blight subplot is going to be so good, i'm predicting now it'll weave it's way into the main plot as well, perhaps with the arena? also, the most interesting part of this chapter was probably the propaganda and bias on Coriolanus' part towards his father. Gaius Snow really appeared to be a strong leader and a great man in this chapter but looking back, he's a dictator and he supports the Hunger Games so, fun to think about! can't wait for more
DarkChocolateLord chapter 7 . 7/2/2021
I'm not a fan of Regulus as a person, but as a character he's really cool. His fascination with honor and being in the spotlight rings true for a District 1 tribute - you did a great job writing him! I also love the tombs of the dead District 1 tributes; while morbid, it sounds oddly beautiful.
Nemris chapter 7 . 7/1/2021
At last, the wait is over. I have been looking forward to this.
You did very nice work with my boy. Very much showing off his brighter side here, the shining golden side if you will. His zealotry is there but kept under the surface for now, but you can tell a bit what burns within him. Really gives out the vibes that he is someone who is about to embark on his great mission, his holy crusade. So bright and shining, can't wait to see him explored further and leave his mark on this story and the other fine tributes.
The Gala was very nice, especially how it builds upon the world. It was something I could not have expected, but it did offer so much. I love how you managed to mention all those details about Regulus, the bow, the mentoring, his sister's teeth. Ametrine made an appearance, as it would make sense for the occasion. I am not sure how connected the tributes are outside the career districts, but it does make sense for them to make an appearance if there is good reason, and it really works in this chapter. Seem Ametrine and Regulus have a good sense of cooperation and district spirit, no trouble on the horizon for the career pack from this district so far.
The Sarcophagi room was a very nice touch. I love how it inspires pure awe and admiration in Regulus rather than dread. These are the old martyrs who have pawed away, resting in their glorious tomb. I guess this is not exactly a well forboding thing to have his first, gives off a morbid sense of where his body will end up, but it is so nicely juicily wonderful despite that, and maybe because of it.
Well, hopefully I will see some more careers before long. One district down, 11 more to go.
Keep up the good work.
MoonlightSalsa chapter 7 . 7/1/2021
Whoa, gold sarcophagi? That's pretty cool actually, if a little morbid. Regulus seems like he's happy with that and I mean, I guess there are worse ways to go... I also liked the whole gala and getting to see Ametrine again! Can't wait for the next chapter!
Sparky She-Demon chapter 7 . 7/1/2021
I definitely like him! Not sure how he and Mordred will get along.
rising-balloons chapter 7 . 7/1/2021
update update update!

okay, so regulus! i am immediately getting nervous about him. he's clearly very deluded about the nature of the games (although it's hard to blame him); stuff like about how honorable it is, how it's panem's last good thing, etc. that is a big yikes. the bit with the golden sarcophagi in particular was very chilling. the idea itself is unnerving, personally, but his reaction is what really makes me go Yikes! i can see two main directions for him. first, that he continues upholding the idea of honor and glory until he dies, even if he loses some of the enthusiasm we saw here. second, that the facade crashes and burns and he starts to spiral. most of it will probably depend on the other careers.

this was another awesome intro! i am currently dreading the moment reality hits mr. regulus. you're amazing and i'll see you next time! :)
foxfox12 chapter 1 . 6/29/2021
ok i read this already a few months ago but i’m finally reviewing and let me just say i love this sm, i love the uniqueness of the format and the characterization was incredible ! it was an interesting idea to have Blight named after the blight, i wish i had thought of that, anyways i really loved this chapter, cant wait for more!
goldie031 chapter 6 . 5/9/2021
Hello trace! It is I here to review the first intro! I don’t generally review prologues because time is not a thing I have and I don’t do blog reviews because I don’t like judging kids on just the blog post so this is the first you’ll hear from me! I’m hoping to be pretty consistent with reviews but I leave for camp in a month and a half so who knows. Anyway, I’m stoked to have a kid in a trace fic! I think I just missed you with both Oceanside and BMO, so I’m glad we’ve been able to intersect here! Now just *checks watch* 22 more intros to go until my child…

Anyway, Ametrine! I liked getting to learn a bit more about your worldbuilding through her; it’s clearly very detailed and something you’ve cultivated over time, because you’ve got it figured out down to, like, the types of houses that exist in the district. I like how she’s kind of started from the bottom and really fought her way to the top. It’s not something we always get from Careers so that was a really refreshing bit! I’m definitely happy for her that she managed to nail the volunteer slot despite everything that seemed to be against her. Another thing I like is that you have this element of her sickly mom in her backstory but it’s not the main thing motivating Ametrine; she’s very self-motivated even if that motivation sorta comes from a place of fate rather than her own free will. All in all a character I very much like and I’m excited to see more of her soon!