Reviews for When the Stars are Strange
Thorongirl chapter 2 . 4/17/2005
I'm not sure how I missed this story. Very well done, the ending totally unexpected. Am I to presume that Halbarad is the best friend mentioned in the epilogue? Aragorn's embarrassment in the first chapter was rather sweet, but then, the solemnity of the second - good, out of the ordinary plot twist. BTW, I'll be reading chapter 10 of Doomed to Live very soon. (I had printed it out and then lost it; oh, yeah, it was hard to find - what? It's right there under "D")?
Dragon-of-the-north chapter 2 . 6/19/2003
This is an excellent little story - you are great at playing with the reader's expectations and feelings!

First of all - the superstition you chose to describe is great and, given the elves' interest in stars, highly convincing!

Then, you build up the tension, making the reader wonder where those strange howls might come from - wolves, wargs or the like? And then - only deer!

However, it does not end there, and the reference to the orcs at the end of chapter 1 already is a sad clue that, perhaps, Aragorn's superstition is not as harmless as his relatively minor wound and Halbarad's jokes indicate.

And then, rather unexpected, the grim little epilogue, where everything is not funny any more, but the belief is proved right in its most dismal meaning... It was really touching!

Great job once again! By the way, will you continue your Boromir story sooner or later? :-)