Reviews for GATE: Journey in the New World
DFMRCV chapter 24 . 12/20/2021
...did you just make this a crossover with Here we go Again, too? Hoo boy, 15Zero is probably gonna mouth off about it on the discord.

...also, Freedom's Ring shoutout? Getting an anime in this version of earth? Come on, man, my suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far! Unless Gordon Ramsay disappearing somehow led to me getting some kind of fortune to produce it in that world?

...Butterfly effect is weird...

That aside I actually don't have too much to say about the chapter. It's a pretty good setup for the arc as it begins, we're already seeing the tactic of the more experienced US forces moving outwards while the JSDF focuses on humanitarian work all while the civvies set up their new homes. It's what both sides are good at.

Okay, one thing I do have to commend is you having our side consistently gathering intel from the locals. I've complained enough about the canon series failing miserably on that sector, missing information about the Warrior Bunnies, Rondel, the Vassal Kingdoms, Italica, and the capital itself and then going "wait, that's a thing" when it becomes a factor in some way.

Something about the Warrior Bunny description feels off but that's probably because this is more of an AU, and the people here are a bit more accepting of Warrior Bunnies than the canon Empire as there are various other nations to be involved; whereas, in the original canon, most were enslaved or homeless and disliked due to their history and they all openly hated Tyuule. That is one thing I have to commend Gate on when it did go for the "the Empire is very similar to ancient Rome" but it's of course come with its own set of issues like the aforementioned JSDF not bothering to look into it.

You know my status as a Tyuule fan, she is my favorite Gate character, and I look forward to seeing her... not exactly sure about Hitoshi suddenly growing interested in her by just word of mouth, and I'm not sure where you plan on taking his story, but I do look forward to it.

Characterization is still pretty much on point, Tuka and her father are still recovering from what happened, Lelei, Cato, and Rory are sharing their knowledge with their new allies while having their own interests, and you can see the contrast between the US Military and the JSDF in a way that isn't really condemning one or the other, just showing they focus on what they do best.

Again, good setup chapter

Now, you have "Qua Toyne", a nation smart enough to pull a Switzerland and shatter all connections to Sadera to prevent invasion, be it bridge, road, or otherwise.

Based.

Also, we have a... creature in a ship?

I'm sure nothing sinister is happening THERE. That dark storm and tense atmosphere probably isn't foreshadowing anything... probably.

Good read. Keep up the good work, my guy.
alphafirst100 chapter 23 . 12/17/2021
This is different than I thought, Keep up the great work! Looking forward future chapters :D
overlordwarhammer2019 chapter 22 . 12/17/2021
Excelente inicio escritura, pero una parte de mi decía "por dios, que aburrido que alguien mate a alguien!" Eres bueno pero muy lento, 24 capítulos y no hubo casi acción, el transfondo de los personajes es bueno, de eso no me quejo. pero a pesar que los capítulos son largos, tardaste 24 capítulos para el preludio
DFMRCV chapter 23 . 12/17/2021
Interesting... Very interesting to see the Coalition pushing out of Alnus, at least.

Looking forward to future chapters, by the way.
DFMRCV chapter 22 . 11/22/2021
Hmm... okay.. slow chapter, more slice-of-life but... not bad.

"Tyuu-li".

Foreshadowing is foreshadow-y. Seems you're setting up a meeting with Tyuule and Furuta, who I'm glad to see is a bit more tolerable here than his canon-self who... the less I say the better. Though I do feel that I'm being teased a bit, but I digress.

Oh, and Gordon Ramsay was mentioned... heh. Would *love* to see Gordon Ramsay yelling at Canon Furuta cause that guy was positively insufferable when it came to his duties. Pretty sure your version of Furuta would fare much better with the head chef of Hell's Kitchen.

The tidbit about the demi-human population in Coda village felt a bit tacked on, I guess. I don't recall anyone mentioning them prior to this point, which may have been less abrupt for the appearance of a Warrior Bunny, especially since there's supposed to be very few of them... then again, Coda village here is clearly much larger, and you did a good job handwaving away why a demi-human wouldn't have been noticed, so I can't complain.

The JSDF characters chatting about the spirits and stuff... it's not bad. I like how we are seeing much more of them comparing this new world to ours, something Gate would occasionally mention, but I can list the "differences" in one hand (demi-humans, magic, it's apparently warmer than Japan, and one 4-Koma implied the gravity may have been a bit different) so it's very nice seeing the characters noting the differences here... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't as intrigued here. But that's probably just me. Not as much tension or story happening (other than more hints of Shino getting interested in Kurata, which... wonder how THAT will go down given Kurata's own interests) but it's fine for characterization. There just wasn't as much of it here as it was more or less the JSDF troops chatting about the ghosts and how Furuta nearly blew himself up.

Cato and Hodor talking was done alright, a nice somber moment although it was more of a reminder about Rondel being its own thing which is something I've forgotten to touch on. Rondel here keeps getting hinted at as being an actual city of learning magic, not just "oh, it exists" like in Gate canon. Since fantasy isn't really my strong suit (or even something that interests me usually) it's very easy for me to forget how insanely creative people can get with their worldbuilding of fantasy world. Like... Rory here was a teacher at Rondel, and since the magic system here is clearly more developed than... whatever the Gate "magic" could be labeled... it actually makes me very curious about how you'll portray it. The Anime made it appear... too generic. The manga gave it a delightfully more greek vibe, but... again, the Gate writing is such a handicap that I'm looking forward to seeing how you design Rondel here as the Summoning Japan world has much more flexibility in terms of magic, technology, and worldbuilding (or so I'm told). Maybe it'll be similar to some of those Final Fantasy cities or maybe it'll look less medieval and more early victorian/ Georgian England? Maybe it'll appear like a European city at the turn of the 18th century?

I don't know but the possibilities do appear to be far better in this fic than in the original Gate canon, so that's something else that's worth looking forward to.

Moving over to Rory again, and-

IS RORY PLAYING UNO?!

-*blows police whistle* Blatantly stolen from Freedom's Ring! You will hear from my lawyers!-

In all seriousness, the scene was done well enough. Rory and Terra chatting with the Americans about themselves and why Rory is an Apostle is certainly interesting... although not as interesting as Lelei going over the possible reasons for the Empire being who they are...

Once again, foreshadowing is foreshadow-y... though what exactly they're searching for is might not be addressed for a while it's much better than in the original canon, where they just... wanted more land? Honestly, the Empire's canon motivations are so scrambled and inconsistent any reason is better than nothing.

Also... lol... Yuji being aware they're about to enter into another story arc? Nice.

Oh, hey, Gisselle is...

Why is she concerned with a village?

Why is she using her dragons to evacuate the village?

Why is she apparently in conflict with the... Flame dragon? I thought she was controlling the dragons? Didn't she lead one to attack Tuka's village?

Unless that other person wasn't Gisselle... hmm...

...Well then... questions and mysteries abound, but it's certainly an interesting development. And hey, the flame dragon showing up and attacking the military is a scene that's been pretty much done to death, so... just another point that this is its own story and not just another reskin, so that's pretty neat.

Overall decent chapter. Looking forward to where you take this story.

Keep up the good work!
Irresponsible boredom chapter 22 . 11/22/2021
Thanks for the chapter!
Maroon567 chapter 21 . 11/5/2021
so basically tyuule is still the same but...instead become Zorzal Bitch, (ughhhh i'm gonna hurl a mini nuke one way another)

she become personal slave for more sane and caring imperial noble who power and status equal or higher than zorzal AKA Darius, and actually treated her with care make sure she's not loose her sanity.

i mean in this chapter he show care for his observer which i can assume a Male Elf and the boy show it back to him
DFMRCV chapter 21 . 11/5/2021
Mysterious mysteries and... foreshadowing?

I can definitely say that this is intriguing. Like I've said in other reviews, the original Gate canon is relatively simple. The Empire's past is heavily implied to be similar to that of Rome's, if not directly linked to it, as in... a nation founded on some basis of Republicanism eventually becoming powerful and eventually conquering the continent and eventually becoming drunk on its own power and its leaders growing corrupt... presumably... there are a LOT of areas in Gate that are just up in the air when it comes to the Empire. Even in my fic, I kept it mostly vague and focused on the scenario.

This is already tossing a Molotov cocktail into the original canon because here, the Empire is linked to a larger continent and is apparently planning on uniting it by expanding, which leads into the Summoning Japan element of this crossover. Like I've said before, I don't know enough about Summoning Japan to really comment too much on it, but the fact that you are setting up an established world already helps expand the Empire's characterization... and then there's the mystery you're tossing in here...

I've personally always been someone who loves the idea of ancient mysteries that are practically impossible to solve because they're just that old, so all you're left with is an uncertain sense of "oh, something bad happened a thousand years ago" but on clue as to what or why or how. Your narration here is pretty good at conveying that sense of dread that an ancient calamity may result in problems in the present while not giving away a whole lot about what exactly that calamity might be.

Then there's Tyuule... not 100% sure how to feel about it yet as we haven't seen a whole lot of her here so far. Right now she's supposed to be Zorzal's slave but has somehow become friends with an imperial captain who tries to be moral and upright in a quickly expanding and malicious empire? Ehh... we'll see how it goes. Tyuule's whole backstory is that she wants vengeance and the three years of abuse under Zorzal is what makes her so ruthless but also interesting to see as she does everything to try to destroy the Empire. Giving her a morality pet from the start to keep her from going fully over the edge... well, I worry it might lessen her character.

But hey, that's just me.

Good little interlude chapter, and congratulations on getting a TV Trope recommendation, my guy!

Keep up the good work!
Irresponsible boredom chapter 20 . 10/22/2021
*whew*

God. Reading this whole arc gave me a rollercoaster of emotions. That whole LAV massacre scene with the 50 cal? Badass, so was that hot tempered Shino and that otaku.

This cooldown chapter was a good touch. I needed a break reading all this.

Thabks for the chap! I'm glad that this fic turned out different than I thought! It really feels like a while new series. I kinda wish the whole fight scenes in this arc were all animated.
Guest chapter 20 . 10/21/2021
Wonderful conclusion to the Coda Village Arc! I really did not expect that such a small arc could be expanded like this and turned into a new perspective. It feels like watching a brand new series overall and the characters were really on point and the vibes that each scene produced...like watching an actual movie or series on TV.

Very refreshing indeed! You really put effort into making the best out the story.

Congratulations! Looking forward for the next arc!
DFMRCV chapter 20 . 10/21/2021
Nice.

Overall, good chapter.

Trying to think of any negatives, but I got nothing that isn't a nitpick.

Again, you have the characterizations down very well here, from the girls being clearly shaken from the fight to Rory's own dialogue as she continues to make herself more interesting here compared to her canon self.

The strengths of previous chapters are still here, too. The fantasy element feels very naturally implemented, to the point that this chapter reminded me less of an anime episode and more of how a fantasy RPG might conclude a chapter after a successful run. Like... this is the beginning of an adventure, not just a chapter designed to show how hardcore our side of the Gate's militaries can be.

Like, I'm seriously getting genuine anime vibes here at times. The scene with "Terra" was certainly interesting, as one would assume Rory had access to the souls and spirits she sends through to Emroy, at least to SOME extent, but her canon self is just a killing machine who never feels like she's a so-called god's "representative". I really like how you're leaning into that aspect of her in this fic, like I've said before, so seeing her here and her helper explain bits of the village past and how the world has its own life force (seriously, did the author forget that scene with the strange lights from the anime or was that an anime original?) and how Rory's job is to also help purify the souls.

So, yeah... nice worldbuilding, nice characterization... can't really find anything that was done in a way that made me raise an eyebrow. I guess the scenes with the Recon Team and Rangers chatting didn't really feel like it characterized all that much? Like... it did, just not on the level of the main characters, but that's not really an issue.

Some setup for the future... that mysterious woman at the end meant to be Hardy? Someone else? Again, I'm invested, and it would have been cool to have gotten some more details on where exactly this woman was. Calling it that it's Hardy, but... well, that's just me. Chocobos were interesting, living, seemingly sentient plants were interesting... seriously, good job on the worldbuilding and leaning more into the fantasy elements than the original Gate series. Had this been an anime it would already have been on my watch list.

Overall, this was a well-done expansion on an overall small section from the original canon. The one noticeable issue from the entire arc was some of the details on the military classifications (.22 caliber instead of 5.56 NATO from the previous chapters), but again, that's not really an issue for the story.

I wonder how you'll do future characters here, as this is a larger world... Tyuule is my favorite character from the entire Gate canon, but... well, you do you, you know?

Good read, good and enjoyable expansive arc, the worldbuilding was on point, characters and their characterization felt far, FAR more genuine and thought out than the original Gate canon.

Strengths for this fic have been pretty consistent and I do think it's the only one of its kind here at the moment.

So, yeah. Good job, and keep it up! Looking forward to the next part!
DFMRCV chapter 1 . 10/21/2021
(FF wouldn't let me post the other Review on chapter 20 for some reason? Posting it here.)

Nice.

Overall, good chapter.

Trying to think of any negatives, but I got nothing that isn't a nitpick.

So, yeah. Good job, and keep it up! Looking forward to the next part!
naufalrakha0104 chapter 1 . 10/19/2021
Toxic are everywhere... Ah nevermind
DFMRCV chapter 20 . 10/16/2021
Alright, end of the Coda village arc.

Pretty good chapter overall.

Small inconsistencies here and there, such as sometimes curses are censored and sometimes not? Might just be a glitch when you uploaded it, but it was a bit weird? I again recommend checking out the Demolition Ranch YouTube channel if you want to get some idea of how powerful some munitions can be for future use. It's a pretty entertaining channel as well if you just want to watch a guy blowing things up.

Um... other than that, the one thing that kind of made me raise an eyebrow is the occasional action line? Felt a bit cheesy to have characters in a combat situation spit off one-liners, though I can see Kuribayashi trying something like that.

Anywho, Kurata is alive. Yay!

This chapter was very much chaotic, though. Similar to the last chapter, the strengths still carry over. I will add that sometimes it did feel a bit "told" instead of "shown" if you know what I mean.

One example is Shino coming in on a horse. That's fine, but instead of having a line explaining that she had found it in an abandoned barn could have been done a bit more naturally, like having Kurokawa ask where she got the horse after the situation was resolved like...

Kurokawa-"Uh... where did you even get the horse?"

Shino- "Found it in a barn. Luck, I guess?"

Again, no big deal, just a bit I noticed and figured I'd advice, cause this whole thing was mostly shown and not told, so examples of it were a bit noticeable.

Ritual to contain the demons was... uh... interesting... okay, I admit, I'm not good around blood, so imagining the whole slicing the hand bit made me personally squeezy, which is partly why the ritual to bring them forth originally struck me so... good job on that. Funny I can write and read about men getting mowed down but cuts to specific areas make me physically recoil...

Rory coming in for the save was pretty cool, especially seeing her actually purify the souls here.

I really have to commend that you did a very good job in characterizing these characters here. In the original Gate novel, the characters... do stuff... but there wasn't much of an establishing character moment, at least not like this. Tuka was a victim that had some useful information, but that was it, Lelei was a student with a sense of interest in new themes but that was it, and Rory was physically powerful and that was it. The engagement with the flame dragon did have the girls participate to a degree, but nothing that would be much of an establishing moment character-wise.

Here you do see them more than willing to work together to try and solve the situation in any way they can. Lelei is knowledgeable, and Tuka is clearly more headstrong here. Also, really liking how your characterizing Rory here. Again, she just hits differently. She's like an actual 900-year-old apostle put there to serve the people which makes her FAR more interesting in my opinion, not just a girl who was happy and took pleasure in seeing death. At least that would make her interest in our side more understandable as the modern world could potentially make life easier and even make it so she doesn't have to run around constantly protecting the weak or purifying their souls.

So, yeah... the feeling that this is more of an adventure than a war story is more present here. Good chapter.

I look forward to the next one!
MrTin09 chapter 2 . 10/7/2021
US army? shouldn't be US marines
106 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »