Reviews for Saving Troy's Bacon Raid
snooky-9093 chapter 3 . 1/15/2022
Great crossover. Makes me want to watch more of Rat Patrol. You have a knack for both dialogue and descriptive narrative-a nice balance between the two...well-done!
snooky-9093 chapter 2 . 1/15/2022
What I appreciate here is that a reader really doesn't have to be too familiar with Rat Patrol to enjoy the story. (I've only seen a couple of episodes).

Nice work with Schultz and Langenscheidt. Klink is the typical scared sychophant.

Curious as to why you say there are SS guards; Hochstetter is with the Gestapo, and I think he would have brought in his own team. (there are a lot of sites explaining the different between the units)
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 1/15/2022
After all that-and our communication-I went back to reread this and realized I never left a review in the first place. I'm so sorry...This starts out very well; and you bring us nicely into the story and the crossover characters. The narrative and dialogue is crisp. And the first scene is typical HH...Well-done.
desertpat51 chapter 3 . 1/14/2022
For chapters (1) 2 & 3: GREAT! What a fun cross-over. Bacon saved... hat saved... and friendships, all around, deepened. And give that guy the .50 caliber salute! Thanks for this one. Look forward to reading more (as I catch up).
desertpat51 chapter 1 . 1/13/2022
How fun! First chapter done. Since I've never read a cross-over before, I'm enjoying the what-ifs of it all. Knowing both shows, I'm guessing it will have to be success for 'our guys' in the end... looking forward to reading more. Thanks for this one.
Guest chapter 3 . 1/3/2022
Tuttle4077: A really good ending to your story. Newkirk's comment to Hogan was really heartwarming. As was Dietrich's thoughtful (and kind of sneaky) gesture for Troy. *Of course* he'd do that. Just one more reason to respect the guy.

I really appreciate the report from Troy- it helped to fill in some holes for me and now I understand why he was in Germany. It makes sense. The Germans probably didn't have permanent POW camps in the desert.

Moffitt's dry humour throughout the story was fun and I was probably just as happy as Troy to see him say "Let's shake it!"
Tuttle4077 chapter 2 . 12/29/2021
I like the one-upmanship at the beginning of the chapter. And Moffitt calling out the avalanche as a tall tale was pretty rich considering some of the crazy things The Rat Patrol get up to! Although I suppose their capers are a little more grounded in reality than the Heroes' just by nature of their two shows.

I'm a little perplexed by Carter and Newkirk's reaction to Moffitt ordering the rats to help clean up. It seems a little more antagonistic than the situation requires. That's where, I think, some more narrative could help. What do these men think about each other? We get snippets from the dialogue- like the tension caused by Newkirk and Moffitt's class differences- but I'm just not sure why Carter feels that way. I'm also surprised by the reluctance on the heroes' part (or at least Newkirk's) to save Troy from Hochstetter. Sure, it's dangerous, but not anything they haven't done a million times before. And you'd think the very fact that the Rats travelled all the way from Africa to rescue him would make the Heroes a little more sympathetic.

I really like the little hints that the Heroes don't live quite as lavishly as the show makes it out. You mention powdered eggs and Spam and wild onions. It's these little details that remind us that these men are still prisoners, despite their extra-curricular activities. Troy's odd thoughts about the cobweb battles subtly show that he's in pretty rough shape. The boys better hurry!
Tuttle4077 chapter 1 . 12/5/2021
Ah, two of my favourite shows mashed together. I'm not sure the reason for bringing Troy all the way to Germany is solid, but I can suspend my disbelief for the sake of the crossover. I adore Moffit's dry British humour and sarcasm ("What comfort!" Snort.") I'm not sure how well our heroes will mix with the rats, but I'm sure they can put any differences aside for Troy's sake- who is nicely in character even though he is suffering.

And Hogan may scoff at the idea of the rats marching in Gestapo HQ to get Troy out, but it's no crazier than anything they've done before, or the heroes for that matter! And Moffit might just be better at speaking German than all the heroes put together!
mrspencil chapter 3 . 12/1/2021
Really well done…an impressive mix of the two sets of characters:-)
mrspencil chapter 2 . 12/1/2021
This progresses really well…the conversation between the two teams rings true, and Kristina is great as an OC. Feeling very sorry for Sgt Troy.
mrspencil chapter 1 . 12/1/2021
No idea how I missed commenting on this. Yo fit the two sets of characters together very well…I can imagine the Rats going this far and further for their friend.
Abracadebra chapter 3 . 8/16/2021
Sorry it took me so long to get to the end! This is very nicely done. You have an excellent, clear, readable style and even though I've never seen a full episode of Rat Patrol I felt the characters really popped and meshed nicely with the Hogan's Heroes gang. I thought you were particularly good at balancing narrative and quotes - you didn't lean too heavily on either.
DeathThouShaltDi chapter 2 . 7/15/2021
Oops, I didn't mean to click post yet. I was trying to say that I've experienced similar disconcerting silence in barns which made that brief scene feel very real to me.
Again, your descriptions are excellent. I particularly enjoy the little details you throw in that help flesh out the scene and remind us that there is a world beyond the immediate events the heroes/Rat Patrol are faced with (ex. the guards playing cards).
More excellent dialogue, and I'm growing to like Moffitt, a character I'm unfamiliar with- his "clashed with the chlorine" comment was amusing.
DeathThouShaltDie chapter 3 . 7/15/2021
Great chapter. The pace throughout this story was consistent and matched the tone of the piece. The final section was composed in an interesting way, and I enjoyed it; it gives us the sense of things returning to normal while also wrapping up some loose ends. Despite not being familiar with The Rat Patrol, I found the final scene with Troy's hat touching. I would have enjoyed hearing something about how Hochstetter reacted to the news that his prisoner had escaped, but also can understand why its not necessary/included. Excellent work!
DeathThouShaltDie chapter 2 . 7/15/2021
As I read your work I'm noticing that you have a real talent for descriptions. The one that really stuck out to me in this chapter was how surprising the silence of the barn was to Tully- expecting life, and finding none in what should be a familiar setting, is jarring, and I've had similar experiences working in agriculture.