Reviews for Out of the Darkness
JohnnyRayChandlett chapter 6 . 6/5
Fine, fine chapter of the first hours on the run. Clever moves, clever dialogue, a bit of cautious bonding, the realization that they are in this together as partners. So little and so much is happening in this chapter, carefully setting the grounds for later. If it were a book, you couldn’t put it down until you’re finished it. As it is, we gladly thank Joe for this chapter and wait for the next one!
JohnnyRayChandlett chapter 5 . 6/5
There is a different Langston Graham that evolves in this chapter, and Joe paints him more human that the show did. He has his own agenda, of course, but there is a bit of care about his best agent, a sliver of understanding for Chuck, and a most dangerous task given to them both instead of following protocol and having Chuck eliminated. Still, his video call to Sarah puts the fear of God into her as she realizes that all of her assumptions and premonitions have been correct. That part of the chapter describes the gravity of the situation compellingly. It isn’t left to my prolific imagination as a reader, it spells the danger out so vividly I get nervous myself.
Their escape from the facility looks a bit easy, but then, at such a place, nobody would expect something like that happening which certainly helped them to accomplish it. And Chuck, unknowingly, probed Sarah’s shield of ice.
Ah, yes. If nature calls, then it calls. That's something most movies or books can't seem to handle properly, and since it usually does not push the plot forward, is skipped.
What a wonderfully tense situation - them two on the run. I love the story so far.
WillieGarvin chapter 6 . 5/8
A used car lot. Kudos to Sarah for cleverness. (And to you too, Joe). Well done. Now our friends are on the road for a while. Nice.
chucksboxers chapter 6 . 4/19
Stealing cars AND popping tags! Chuck would look pretty funny in a fur coat too! :-)

Our heroes are out and on the run and you write them so well. It seems like they act as I would expect and that’s very cool. It’s like a bonus episode of Chuck.

Thanks JW!
Ancientgamer chapter 6 . 4/19
Great chapter of Chuck and Sarah building some camaraderie and trust between them. Sarah starts out a little rough, forgetting that she's dealing with a civilian and a tortured one at that. She quickly realizes her mistake and starts to make amends. Almost immediately he begins to help (license plate). Pretty good at quick thinking on his feet, too. And she realizes that she trusts him. Chuck trusts her, too. He won't shy away from doing what's right, even if it cost him personally. The banter is already picking up speed, too. So is Chuck's using humor to ease their awkwardness. They're becoming partners. What else might they become while they're alone together on the run? Looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks for sharing, my friend.
Ancientgamer chapter 5 . 4/16
So, Graham is on the side of the angels. At least, he appears to be. He wants Sarah to take Chuck and run. Is that for their mutual protection or is he trying to get the two of them away from the protection of the facility, so Chuck can be captured by nefarious parties unknown and Sarah then blamed for it? Time will tell. The process of Sarah gathering supplies and spiriting Chuck away from the facility was great. As was her being so totally focused that she forgot he was in the back of the car. lol. Watch it, Agent Walker. The 'Ice Queen' discussion was a nice touch, too. People pick up nicknames and others don't always check to find out whether or not they're appreciated before using them. Good for Sarah for speaking up. Their talk was an important one to have. Chuck needed to know more about her, as a person, not just a collection of entries in a CIA file. It's clear that they're already reaching out to each other and bonding. On the run, but only after a potty break. Thanks for sharing, Joe.
tiggerhk chapter 6 . 4/15
Great chapter with so many classic references. Really interesting start to a Charah adventure.
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 6 . 4/15
A great chapter, I got all the references, and Chuck's reactions to Sarah's blank responses were entirely in character for both of them. Really nice job with all the practical details and all the small developments, humor, growth of trust, and moments of partnership! Very much enjoying this and looking forward to where you take them next. :)
jmirtzmyers chapter 6 . 4/14
I am enjoying the story. I started over again because for some reason I don't get notifications any more for your stories and I missed the last few updates. I just happen to see the posting on the Facebook group.
David Carner chapter 6 . 4/13
Absolutely fantastic my friend. I really enjoy this one. Something about bunker stories. Thank you for it!
Charless11 chapter 6 . 4/13
Great to see an update in the story. And a fantastic chapter. Feels amazing to see the trust developing between the two of them and them getting on a journey together. Thanks for writing and sharing it with us.
Marc Vun Kannon chapter 6 . 4/13
"Help me, Obi-wan Bartowski..."
Good to see an update. Glad they dropped the asset-handler status so quickly. Too bad Chuck didn't get a chance with the used car lot's computer, he could have erased the data for the car they took.
michaelfmx chapter 6 . 4/13
At first read, one might think that this chapter does not advance the relationship between Chuck and Sarah very much, but it actually really does. Although Chuck must have a ton of questions for Sarah, this chapter shows a level of trust that belies his circumstances. We could easily be hearing his thoughts about trying to escape the first chance he gets or not trusting Sarah's intensions, but she has clearly shown him that she's willing to consider him her equal in this. Not a surprise that Chuck was completely taken aback when she called the partners. Even with what she has done for him so far, that was not what he expected. It shows the impact he's made on her already.

As for Sarah, she has never really trusted anybody but herself and she must also know that Chuck could bolt at any second. It must have at least crossed her mind. So letting him make the plan to split up while he steals a plate from a car in the junkyard and then meeting a block down must have taken immense trust for someone like her. And yes, doubts crept in for a moment but she trusted Chuck. When she has a moment of solitude, I wonder if she'll think back on that.

Some great moments showing the growing trust between them in this chapter, as well as us getting an idea of what is to come in the near future.
MicroGirl1225 chapter 6 . 4/13
Great chapter. Nice to see the beginning of trust between the two of them. As well as Chuck’s humor. Didn’t catch all the references—so thanks for the footnote. Excited for more.
As always an excellent chapter I enjoy reading any of you stories I especially enjoy anything original