Reviews for On the Wings of Eagles
Gwen Eruanna chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
Heartwrenching. *Sniffle* Frodo's memories had me in tears.
Leia Wood aka Cascadia chapter 1 . 7/21/2004
Such lovely language!

"He listens for the heartbeat that has been his lullaby for months without end. He strains his ears and hears a steady thrum in the disturbance of the air around him and he smiles because this must be the pulsing of Sam's heart reaching out to guide him, to pull them together in this, their death. Sam has led him through terror and darkness and he would not abandon him now. He needs but to wait and his friend will reach out and pull him close and their souls will meld and the emptiness and pain will drip from his body and heart as so many tears."

This paragraph was particularly moving, for some reason. But the entire story was amazing. Frodo must have believed he was dead upon waking to see Gandalf who he thought was dead.

~Leia
rabidsamfan chapter 1 . 2/13/2004
I like the memories, particularly, and your descriptions are well done. It's wonderful when a writer has a vocabulary and isn't afraid to use it.
Lossenrhos chapter 1 . 1/5/2004
Wow I really loved your story. I read your At Sammath Naur story on the Barrow downs site, I thought that was amazingly good too. I think you portray Frodo’s thoughts very well and I liked the part about him wanting to die with Sam. His disappointment at finding out that he was alive was heart- rending. Poor Frodo!
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 7/12/2003
Wow. That was very lovely and sad. And the ending-! You know, it never occurred to me before that Frodo might feel that way when he awoke, but now that I've read it, it seems so right. Your prose is very rich and satisfying as always, like a chocolate cake with whipped cream. The little flashbacks were particularly evocative. This is a very effective follow-up to "At the Sammath Naur."

-Rose
Trust No One chapter 1 . 6/24/2003
OH! Another brilliant piece! You definitely are my favourite author now! Frodo's faith in Sam, "he has to wait until Sam finds him", his relief at thinking he will finally die and the happy memories that triggers...and his despair in the end. Abslolutely fabulous! I really hope you carry on with this theme!
Iorhael chapter 1 . 6/23/2003
Frodo was that desperate... *sniff* But he must understand that being alive is a hundred times better than dead. He must not think that fate is cruel by letting him alive...

Iorhael
Inwitari chapter 1 . 6/20/2003
I am finishing up the last few tissues I own reading this wonderful fic, dear. My eyes are bleary from tears. Poor, poor Frodo...
Ariel3 chapter 1 . 6/19/2003
Oh, Aratlithiel! You have given me a challenge I hope I can do justice to! Although I can't image any better inspiration for the illustration we discussed than this amazing fic. Your story is beautiful, brilliantly executed and just so perfect I can't stand it! Though you have only been writing a short time, I am GLAD you have started and I hope you never stop! This is the kind of stuff I love fanfic for. Thank you for this absolutely wonderful piece. I applaud you and thank Iluvatar you have found your way here.
Krista2 chapter 1 . 6/19/2003
WOW! You're writings impress me beyond a logical review. I cannot put my astonishment into a sentence, how's that for a review? It's strange how your words can leave me so emotional!
Regina L chapter 1 . 6/19/2003
Magnificently done as always-you show an insight into Frodo's mind that is downright scary. Shall you be writing a sequel showing his conversation with Gandalf when he awakes?
Lorraine chapter 1 . 6/18/2003
Oh. My. Eru.

Unbelievably powerful. Poor, dear Frodo. Your writing is beyond description. I'm sobbing!

Is this going to be a stand-alone story? Are you going to leave us (and Frodo) here, like this? Or it is the first chapter of a longer story? Either way-wow. Just wow.

I tell you-if the ROTK movie has one tenth the impact of this, I'll be a total emotional wreck.
shirebound chapter 1 . 6/18/2003
Holy cow, this has to be the most heartbreaking thing I've read in a long time. (I'm so glad I wrote a soothing story about Frodo waking up in Cormallen so I can imagine that all is well!)

What an incredible writer you are! These lines are particularly amazing:

"His vision darkens and he quickly lifts his eyes to those of his friend. He wants his last sight to be one of love..."

"He listens for the heartbeat that has been his lullaby for months without end. He strains his ears and hears a steady thrum in the disturbance of the air around him and he smiles because this must be the pulsing of Sam’s heart reaching out to guide him..."
endymion2 chapter 1 . 6/18/2003
It is a miracle for me that you can write so poetically about such horribly sad events.

I always have had the impression that as soon as the ring was destroyed, Tolkien was somehow in a hurry to finish, and therefore left many things unexplained. You fill this void.
aelfgifu chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
speechless-this is so, so beautiful! Wow! Now that is what I call Frodo angst! I have often wondered about that scene-frodo so willing to die, Sam not about to let him and give up-so sad, yet-this is a missing part that tolkien should have included! I'm so glad you filled int this blank!

I will definately recommend this one on Ring around the MErry-of course, you knew I would, my lovely beta!

-Emma