Reviews for In Extremis
MarJan53 chapter 1 . 7/16
I at first wondered why Neal crumpled so completely until Ifoundout he shot someody who died
ShawnSpenceStarr chapter 1 . 5/31
Oh this was brilliant! Loved it so much. You should totally 100% continue this. It has so much potential to be more than brilliant!
In season 2, when Neal tells Peter his dad was a dirty cop he said, “if I’m not my fathers son than who am I?” This fic could totally bring some of those angsty feelings back into play.
lovealiasWC1 chapter 1 . 5/27
WONDERFUL! The last part of this story, where Peter drives Neal to the Burke house, is perfect and bang on the button! The love that Peter & Neal feel for one another is absolutely pure and a thing of shimmering beauty...I so want a Season 7, where they find each other once again...

THANK YOU FOR THIS!
Love Always, JANET MARIE COOPER
Email:
Taramor chapter 1 . 5/25
It is fantastic! I read it several days ago, and still have not found the words to express the praise I want to giv.
Dawn248 chapter 1 . 5/21
Love how you show how much Peter cares about Neal
Happy reader70 chapter 1 . 5/16
Really appreciated the story telling, letting us find out what happened through the statements (well, peter’s statement and neal’s interrogation), heartbreaking seeing Neal so shocked and feeling so desperately guilty, heart-mending seeing Peter, Hughes, June and Mozzie so supportive… (standing ovation for Hughes replying so promptly to Neal ‘can I go home now’ question). And thanks so much for sharing!
Macy chapter 1 . 5/14
I am in love with this story. Thank you so much for this. So incredible to read!
SupernaturalGeek chapter 1 . 5/14
Goodness. What a story. What a journey. What a beautiful, heartfelt, reaslistic, in-character example of Neal and Peter's bond, and just how far they will both always go to protect the other.

I don't have the words to truly describe how fantastic that was. The way we were thrown straight into the heart-stopping drama of traumatised Neal, furious Peter, and the aftermath of what had clearly been something horrific. It made us as anxious about how things were going to turn out as they themselves were.

The slow reveal of exactly what had transpired was expertly done, taking us on that journey with Neal and Peter and allowing us to understand - and feel - what they themselves were feeling. I liked how the Marshalls weren't just two-dimensional villians although, having said that, Wilson was definitely a d**k. But it was nice to see the others compensate for it, especially Hughes.

It won't surprise you to hear that one of my favourite things about this was Peter's furious, familial, all-encompassing protectiveness towards Neal. His spirited defence never wavered, not for a second, and we *know* that had things gone badly he really would have done whatever took to give Neal his freedom, even if it meant crossing that line in the sand.

Moreover, as determined as he was to make sure Neal wasn't victim to a miscarriage of justice, his true focus was on Neal's wellbeing. There was no 'cowboy up'. There was no keeping things strictly professional in the work setting; this was Peter openly showing the world just how much he cares about Neal and how in all the ways that matter they are true partners.

As for Neal, whilst he was more vulnerable, more emotional, here than his usual state - even beyond what we saw with things like Kate's death and Fowler - it never felt out of character or too much because the situation more then warranted it. That his biggest fear should be the loss of Peter's good opinion was heart-breaking but also felt true to Neal; we know just how important that is to him, how in many ways his view of himself is seen through that lens.

I adored their talk in the car and how Peter was able to give Neal a perfect example when even his emphatic counter-arguments weren't quite enough. The parallel between what Neal had done and what Peter did (with Adler) was just perfect and it allowed yet another confirmation of how they'll both do *anything* to keep each other safe, and never regret it.

Everything throughout the story drew the reader in and painted vivid images of Neal and Peter in our minds, letting us *see* them in those key moments. I have to be honest that in some ways I may have rushed through it, wanting to finish and make sure that 'happy' ending was going to be there (not that I really doubted it wouldn't). Now I have confirmation I can read it again and truly savour every wonderful, touching, lightly amusing at times, moment with our boys.

I've been away from for a bit, since my own (brief) foray back into the anxiousness of writing-posting-responding-to-reviews, but when this popped into my Inbox I knew I was in for a treat and - as always - it was even better than expected.

Kudos on a wonderful story, well told. I thoroughly enjoyed it :)
Gerhuvn chapter 1 . 5/14
That was really lovely! I really enjoyed that, heartbreaking at times (poor Neal) but heartwarming too (peters reaction and his support). It made me laugh out loud too "if it's a pep talk you need better material" and "I didn't say that" were really funny! Thanks for sharing :)