Reviews for When the Crew Got Cancer
Ama chapter 1 . 6/26/2014
Well this was a funny fic. I could totally see all three of those dummies in the hospital for lung cancer. Can't wait to read another fic from you Jayni and don't mind all the self-rightous, close-minded negative comments from ppl that are too afraid to see the lighter side of things. YES, if you smoke you WILL eventually get lung cancer. Lung cancer even gets ppl that DON'T smoke courtesy of selfish, inconsiderate smokers (second-hand smoke in case you butthurts wanna bitch about it). My aunt has a trach because of smoking and does sound like a robot. She knew what she was doing and when she got sick she wasn't offended when she saw those anti-smoking commercials. She is a trooper. If reading about getting lung cancer from smoking offends you, then DON'T read articles and/or fanfics that clearly state they're about this very subject. Not reading will also reduce your stress lvls so you won't have to go smoke after posting your offended rants. See? Two birds, one stone. Have a happy life my cyber friends.
LMAO chapter 1 . 6/26/2014
Lmfao. I can't take the butt hurt in all the reviews.

People need to stop talking about cancer like it's taboo. It is a very well known fact that smoking causes cancer... you don't have to like it, but it's still a FACT. And with the amount of smoking the characters do (especially Spike), it's only normal to assume that they would get cancer sooner or later. (Of course, it's 2071 so maybe medicine is so advanced that there is a cure in the Bebop universe).

I didn't find anything preachy about the story. It was morbid (as the intro states) and the summary clearly says it will be about cancer, so if it's a touchy subject for you, why even bother reading it? It has HUMOR as a genre... just saying.

If you feel offended, you have issues. Guess what, you're not the only ones who are affected by cancer, or have had relatives die from cancer. A lot of us have gone through that. That doesn't mean I'm going to feel insulted whenever I read something like this...

I had relatives who were on dialysis and had cancer... I don't find this story repulsive. Hell, even my relatives poked fun at their own condition to lighten the mood. People need to stop getting so butt hurt over this.

Smoking causes cancer, and if you're a smoker, you know the risks. Stop acting all offended lol.

On to reviewing the fic:

My only gripe about this is that you said Ed was a teenager, when it was my impression (from Faye being elderly) that many years had passed already. Ed would be a grown woman at this point. Other than that, I think you did a great job portraying the characters. I especially laughed at the part where Jet says it's Spike's MO and the whooping cough and mechanical laughter... I was cracking up.

Good job. I want to read more funnies!
Gene Elimination Squad chapter 1 . 4/10/2004
Okay, I understand this was a parody, but it was a parody in poor taste. I'm a smoker and I was offended by this. Sorry, this fic is slated for elimination. Keep your nose clean so it won't be you.
Anti-Capitalist Nation chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
...The hell? Oh, where do I even begin? Nevermind the actual BeBop canon (where they would have a cure/treatments for this kind of thing), this was incredibly annoying and preachy. Yes, cigarettes are icky and cause cancer. However, this piece of crap isn't going to get anyone to stop smoking. I'm sure people who have lost loved ones due to cancer are pretty pissed off right now.
And as for the reviewer below who got all up on his/her high horse about "stop living the dream and face the cruel reality of lung cancer," well, grow up. I've got news for you: you're dead too. Non-smokers die every day.
Oh, and bringing Spike back? Did you have to?
Wolfeblayde chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
Jeebus H. Christ on a little green bicycle! Just wait until someone you love gets cancer and dies from it. . .then let's see how bloody funny you think this is. I lost my mom to lung cancer, and there is nothing even remotely amusing about radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery.
Please, pull this story now. It's an insult to cancer victims and the people who've had to bury their loved ones because of this hellish disease.
Silence and Motion chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
I found this story, in all honesty, disgusting.
I really don't see the humor in this at all.
Your writing shows hope, it really does, but please:
"And they lived cancerly ever after - the end"
That's all out offensive. I feel the urge to vomit at the possibility of more chapters of this.
Morbid Fascination chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
This is just disgusting.
Cancer is a serious issue. People die from it every day.
It is NOT a laughing manner, and I am incredibly offended that you would even think about making fun of it, let alone post this crap story.
Yes, anime characters smoke. A LOT. And aren't affected by it. That still doesn't give you the right to make fun of people dying from the disease.
You make me sick.
aj's girl1 chapter 1 . 4/9/2004
I guess you could get humor out of the Bebop crew dying from cancer, if you put in the time and energy. It would be an ambitious undertaking, as you would have to work to find the dark humor and absurdity of the situation. However, your random and brief story doesn't cut it.
There are no good moments of comedy here (having Ed say "juicy juice" is lazy, that's a name of a product); there's no moral lesson here about the health hazards of smoking because you stop with all plot development after you give them all cancer.
No one is acting in character. It's not a comedy or a drama. I'm honestly confused, and have no idea what you were hoping to achieve. I realize this review sounds harsh, but I've known people who've died from cancer, and your lack of effort in dealing with the subject has rubbed me the wrong way.
Also, you like this story so much, you've posted it twice, which is against the TOS. Remove either this story, or "Cancer Bebop." Thank you.
Whitehair-Dogears chapter 1 . 7/24/2003
that was incredibly sick and funny!
radicalL chapter 1 . 6/22/2003
Hm... well... this is a GOOD story. Its very very nice. You think they would have gotten cancer sooner or later. Time to stop living a dream and face the cruel reality of lung cancer.
VelvetOblivion chapter 1 . 6/20/2003
MORBID! Methinks that with all the technology then, a cure for cancer would've been found...

*shudders*