Reviews for A Longer Road
Lilan chapter 12 . 4/11/2005
I simply adore your female characters (and draw wicked and purely feminine pleasure from seeing all those heroes behave like very babies when it comes to relationships;P). Rosie, and Eowyn, and Arwen - they are so wise and where would Middle-Earth be but for them, I wonder... Full of depressed males and hungry babies.

Jokes aside, this was a wonderful story. Hope I am not committing a sacrilege by saying Tolkien made it all very easy for Sam when in fact for a person with emotions running so deep it would surely take a lot of time to come to terms with a loss of a friend who is almost a brother. Thank you for exploring this!

P.S. Why do I come across the best stories so late?
rabidsamfan chapter 12 . 3/8/2004
Wonderful. A three hanky story for sure. I love your Rosie - dumping the baby on Sam was brilliant! I also love the way you have Merry taking up the slack. And the exchange with Aragorn at the end was just perfect. Thank you!
Ariel3 chapter 12 . 11/25/2003
I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed this piece very much. Your Sam was a bit different than I see him but you justified it with your characterization and it fit pretty well. You have some very lovely moments in this piece that I really liked - and I have always thought that letter was well done. Perfectly Frodo. Thank you for this delightful story.
ElvenDestiny chapter 12 . 10/15/2003
Wow, you have such a high quality of writing compared to many other authors I've read here on . Incredible work you've got here...I confess, I found your story because I was intrigued by your pen name, and it's pretty cool to see that you 'know' Shirebound as well. The style of the writing is pretty similar.
Puxinette chapter 12 . 10/14/2003
What can I say? You have a wonderful ability to portray the emotions of your characters in such a way, that the reader is completely captivated by the scene in which you submerge them! You have done it in this final chapter, as you have throughout this entire story!

And what an achievement! A well-thought-out, well-written story, that everyone can read and enjoy. You should be extremely proud, Shireling! You are a wonderful writer!
ShireElf chapter 12 . 10/13/2003
Ah! I must congratulate you on a very well written story, Helen . . . or shireling. Whichever you prefer. :D Good job!
Clever Hobbit chapter 11 . 9/28/2003
Wow. This is amazing! I think it's a tear-jerker, seeing as I had to dry my eyes quickly several times when a family member came into the room. I never thought of the effects that Frodo's leaving would have on Sam and Rosie's marrige...
ShireElf chapter 11 . 9/28/2003
Yay! Another well written update! Write more soon please!
Puxinette chapter 11 . 9/28/2003
This chapter was absolutely superb! Your writing just gets better and better, if that is possible! I went from laughing to crying in 0.3 seconds, and you managed to evoke every other emotion from me at some point during this chapter as well. Just wonderful. I cannot praise this enough.
ShireElf chapter 10 . 9/9/2003
I would write a signed review . . .just too lazy to log in . . . . . sigh.

I have seen many stories when Frodo sails to Valinor and I think now, so far, this one is the best yet!
Teresa Martin chapter 10 . 9/7/2003
A nice, thoughtful story. I think you've captured the character of Sam quite well
shirebound chapter 10 . 9/7/2003
What a sweet story, Helen! I love the way you write relationships (and I especially loved all the conversations between Elrond and Sam, which are very rare indeed). I well remember the letter from Frodo to Sam which was the inspiration for your story. Your love and respect for our beloved characters really shines through.

(May I make a suggestion? It wouldn't hurt to have another pair of eyes to assist you with punctuation, apostrophes, and incomplete sentences. I'd be happy to look over a chapter before you post it, if you'd ever like me to do so.)
Puxinette chapter 10 . 9/7/2003
I didn't even catch on to what the celebration was for! How dense of me! Well, it's still very early on a Sunday morning; a good excuse, right?

Another great chapter! I loved the line of Sam's where he tells Merry and Pippin that he DOES know who's boss in his house! So Great!
Kay chapter 9 . 8/28/2003
"Remember me as I was in the carefree days of our youth." Sniff, sniff. When I was reading this, I could almost hear in the background: "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun." Yikes, I guess that dates me, doesn't it?

Looking forward to the Sam-Rosie reunion!
Kay chapter 8 . 8/28/2003
Princess Dirty Face - that's cute!

""It's a good job it's me here today, your uncle Pippin doesn't know one end of a baby from the other."" Loved that line! And I'm loving catching up on all these new chapters! Illness in the family kept me away for a while, but things are better now. The only good thing about being away from the computer is coming back to find lots of lovely updates!