Reviews for Duty
Rian Steelsheen chapter 1 . 7/10/2010
This is wonderful!

I loved your characterisation of Denethor and the two boys, they're very true to the book, in my opinion!

Denethor's lessons, adapted to the age of each son, are original, well written and effective. It is clever to use allegory to explain the situation to his children.

I also liked Faramir's "I think I like the old Haldan better", it is very in-character.

Thanks for sharing this wondrous piece!
Ivanolix chapter 1 . 5/17/2007
I greatly appreciated this piece, showing Denethor's fairness and justice, that I believe certainly existed. I like the idea that he was a good father when his sons were young, and the bit about him and Faramir staring at each other was very fitting.
Rugi chapter 1 . 5/15/2006
Well this story was written a while ago! But I have to say it was a breath of frsh air for me. I like that you didn't sink into the Denethor-despises-learning-and-thinks-Faramir-is-useless-with-a-sword trap. Denethor was a well-educated man. His issues with his children would be more complicated.

I also like how you show his parenting style - he is a father and a Steward at the same time. You showed that it would be hard to have Denethor as a father but not necessarily all bad. And you did a great job showing how he tailored his answers to the ages and positions of his sons. You showed their family life and also managed to foreshadow the personal and political problem Denethor will have later.

Oh and I loved this line: "Denethor narrowed his gaze. Why would he want to have an old, beaten toy? Was it a sign of pity, or loyalty?" It was just so ... Denethor.
Angel of Harlem chapter 1 . 9/5/2003
Aww! That is such a cute story! And very well written, I must add. Denethor's way too under appreciated, and Faramir / Boromir little boy stories are just the cutest things ever, if they're well done. Rock on!

-Daenerys Stormborn
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 7/30/2003
This is a very interesting and thought-provoking piece. I think you have done an excellent job of reconstructing Denethor before the palantir got to him: both his impressive talents and the flaws which will eventually bring him down. It seems that he would have done better to give Boromir the same advice he gave to Faramir!

Eledhwen chapter 1 . 6/27/2003
Lovely! Some very keen musings on duty and the nature of the Stewards, and a lovely portrait of the three of them.