Reviews for Love Is Not A Cage
I wish I could write a lengthier review but I just had to say I love this story! It’s been getting me through some very rough times as I completely relate to your take on grief and anxiety. I hope you continue in your healing journey and keep up the writing too! You are truly talented3
Octavian743 chapter 1 . 11/22
this is a really good story
Anagennisi chapter 12 . 11/16
This story deserves so much more attention, and so many more reviews. I really enjoy how Naruto came to terms with and actually confronted his past and his issues in a manner so different from canon... yet also in character for him.

Every interaction between Pa and Naruto (as well as Ma and Hinata) are on points and helpful. Pa actually acknowledged Naruto's opinions and is giving him genuine life advice as his elder and mentor... and you love to see it, since no one else ever does that for him. Ma is starting to get through to Hinata that she needs to find her own strength and way of fighting that isn't tied to the rigidity of the Hyūga.

All of a sudden, he has everything he ever wanted from the one person who unreservedly gave him her support... and now he doesn't want to lose it. I always wanted him to give up on the dream of Hokage when I read the story the first time - it seemed like a replacement for his actual goal of having a family and people to come home to that acknowledged him. Now he has that in Hinata and the Toad Clan and Shikamaru, Kakashi, etc. (Even Sakura... to an extent... meh.)

As for Hinata... I just love the character development your stories give her. In this one, particularly, she decides to stand beside and with the man she loves. She is slowly being taught by the wise Toad Clan to confront herself and find strength in her own character - not being pushed off to the side so she can become a housewife. She wants to fight alongside the person she loves... and I like that idea in this story. You've framed it so well. And I look forward to her being able to stand beside and actually challenge Naruto in her own ways, instead of just deferring to his chaotic energy.

He seems to bring impetus, energy, initiative, and resolve. She seems to bring more grace, subtlety, subterfuge, and resolve. (They are both VERY enduring individuals... hahaha...) She's trained and raised as a noble (no matter how much she believes herself to be a failure). He's got charisma to change minds and hearts of others. They balance one another out without completely overwhelming the other.
LB Cat chapter 12 . 10/25
That was heartfelt reading. Glad Naruto chose spy not hokage, might change later but awesome idea. Thanks
ZodiacBirdy chapter 12 . 10/26
It has been awhile since I've left a review for a story but I felt I couldn't just not. I really enjoy all of your decisions with this story. First I've always liked the thought of Hinata becoming a toad sage and Mt Myoboku becoming a safe haven for her and Naruto. This story reminds me of an older fanfiction that came out not to long after Hinata confessed to Naruto in the manga. That story was Hinata centric and showed her journey to becoming a sage as well. So even though this is my first time reading this story it gave me a bit of Nostalgic feel and reminded my how much I like this idea. That fanfiction didn't handle Sakura to well though. I wouldn't call it bashing but she was annoying and a bit out of character at points. I like what you did here in comparison to that fic and the original material. It never made since to me why she would listen to Sai about Naruto's feelings and then confess. She knows Sai was emotionally constipated at the time and was learning about love and other emotions through books so why would she put so much stock into his words about anyone's, let alone Naruto's, feelings. Plus I was always under the assumption she understood Naruto's desire to save Sasuke was rooted more than just a promise to her, but then Sai, who hasn't known Naruto as long, doesn't have first hand experience with their relationship with Sasuke and again barely understands his own emotions let alone anyone else's, says something to her and she takes it as fact? She should know Naruto better than that. I always figured she understood that Naruto's feelings were like puppy love, admiration, and a bit of competition with Sasuke. So that stuff with her 'confession' never made since to me. I like that you cut that out entirely. What Sakura did here wasn't okay for her to do but it's easy to see here that she is exhausted, worried for Tsunade, feeling abandoned by Naruto and scared for Sasuke. Here she used Naruto's feelings and promise out of desperation and fear not because of some misguided thought that she was causing a burden to him and she needed to fix it. As for the stuff with the soul mates, normally I don't care for stories with soul mates. They usually make the characters feelings for each other feel a bit shallow or under developed but so far I'm okay with it here because you established their feelings and desires for each other well before the soul mate reveal, making it feel more genuine and like nothing would be different whether they found out or not. Plus you aren't going over board with it like making them telepathic with each other or being given crazy power boosts because of it. I'm also liking the spy network direction you chose over becoming Hokage. In chapter 700 I was okay with the to busy Naruto and the lashing out Boruto because it seems Naruto hasn't been Hokage for long and the young Boruto, who was used to having daddy's attention, just wasn't used to not having him around as much yet. But then the Boruto movie happened and took place several years later and Naruto still doesn't have a handle on being Hokage and a father? Like come on man! Make some clones, get your work done and spend time with the family you finally have! That felt sooo forced in the movie so I'm happy to see a change in direction here. I like it when people acknowledge that it's okay to change goals. It doesn't mean you're a quitter just that your desires and needs change as you grow. Okay sorry for the long review! I went on a couple rants there on some of my thoughts of the og story but I felt it help explain why I've been enjoying your story so much. I can't wait to read more and I pray for the best for you! Also any story that keeps Hinata's big appetite gets extra points in my book!
Asriah chapter 12 . 10/26
Oh NightOwl, this has got to be my favorite chapter yet! I absolutely love the deviation from canon! 3 I’m so sorry for your loss (and sorry for not commenting sooner) but as always, I love your beautiful words. I have always wondered what their lives would be like if Naruto decided being Hokage was no longer what he wanted to pursue. I can’t wait for the next chapter, but no pressure. I know life has its way of getting in the way. 3
Darth Tenibris2 chapter 12 . 10/25
As fantastic as your writing is, I am afraid I will have to drop the story. The core parts of what make up Naruto is his unending conviction to never give up in the face of overwhelming opposition or a seemingly insurmountable amount of resistance. That's the entire reason he set out to be Hokage in the first place, to overcome what others thought as a lost cause. It's expressed countless times that's one of the main driving factors behind his character and to just up and abandon it is something I will forever refuse to read.

As always, you're a fantastic writer but this plot and it's elements no longer agree with me. Good luck with your story and I will be there for the next one as well!
The Love of Reading chapter 12 . 10/25
Honestly made my day when I saw my email about the update this is a platinum piece of work and thank u for sharing your own emotions it was rich and raw beautifully added I hope to see more and thank u
Sheepra chapter 12 . 10/23
I really love his path that you decided to take this story! can't wait to see more
777torn777 chapter 12 . 10/23
The path Naruto took going into Boruto doesn’t make a lot of sense. Going towards Hokage is fine, but prioritizing the village over his own blood made zero sense. He grew up an orphan and he’s done the same thing to a lesser degree to his kids. I would have loved if Naruto even went slightly this direction in cannon.
starfiction123 chapter 12 . 10/23
you put heart and experience on it which makes it cover even more above! bruh fudge konaha! who cares about the canon I still hate konaha to this day lol do what u want this story is a Masterpiece!
Fictitiousfrog chapter 12 . 10/23
I love this story so much, by and far my favorite NaruHina fic on this site. Also among my favorite Naruto fics because of how emotionally complex and fulfilling it is to experience.
chilledOctopus chapter 12 . 10/23
Great chapter
I’m hoping that when Naruto faces yami that all he becomes whole not only with his emotions but also mentally. Yami being yin chakra and helps Naruto start becoming mentally smarter so he can take what his father wrote down and advance them further and also become a seal master, this also having the added benefit where he can become and ideal shinobi that fights using many techniques and not just kyuubi and shadow clones but also his elemental affinity and maybe another affinity. I’m looking forward to seeing how you make him as a spy master, and how hinata will turn out if she masters sage mode.
Can’t wait for the next one
Take care
More pls
kinokonoko chapter 11 . 10/1
I-i'm in love with this setting, as much as i love these two relationship dynamic, you still keep their characteristics intact and i really really really appreciate it! Also about the age thing(because you just mention it here) i might see them in this story around 17-18th-ish? Kind of. But that's just me.

The thing about sakura confrontation to naruto is much more honest and more sakura than the fake confession because i feel like... it's really out of nowhere and there's no conclusion either, feels more like unnecessary drama no one even asked(it really did her character dirty ngl kinda sad if you think about it) and i'm glad you potray her as true to her character.. at least... but again, that's just me..

Thank you for sharing, i'll wait for the next update..