Reviews for Finding Courage
SkyChild chapter 5 . 11/17/2008
Wonderful! The long road from doubting, being exhausted and in despair, to finding one's strength and courage. Your style has an easy flow to yet and is better than most of what's being published at . I liked it very much!
HRT chapter 5 . 7/16/2007
Interesting work! I'm glad you decided to write about this period in Silmarillion history as well, since it seems to be neglected. There are far too many Feanorians out there, alas, and I never thought they were as interesting as some of the other more neglected Silmarillion characters. Anyway, I thought you handled the drama and action quite well, and your take on the angsty Glorfindel, who has so much trouble adjusting, was new to me. Thanks for writing this.
queenieb chapter 5 . 2/7/2005
What a masterwork. You have taken Tolkien's words and turned them into something of the beyond. I'm speechless. _
wandererowl chapter 5 . 12/31/2004
sigh I really like the end of this story. Great Work!
Quinga chapter 5 . 10/24/2004
Amazing writing. Heart breaking and fantastic. Send kleenex!
Laiqalasse chapter 5 . 10/28/2003
i love this story. you've obviously put much thought and research into it and it's appreciated by at least this reader. and the epilogue is so wonderfully heart-breaking.

Laiqalassë
Prophetic Fire chapter 5 . 8/19/2003
*sobs* Beautiful...*sobs again* So beautiful...loved it...more...
Guest chapter 5 . 7/11/2003
This is one of the best Glorfindel stories that I have ever read. Excellent job.
Nilmandra chapter 5 . 7/11/2003
I read this at HASA in review and was very impressed. I didn't realize it was yours until just reading 'I Bequeath'. My only comment to you there may have been 'wow' (sorry!) but this was fantastically done. The fears, the terror - all so real - and seeing Glorfindel rise to this battle then fall was heartbreaking. I like how you show his reembodiment and that Olorin is the one to care for him - Manwe's servant - who better? Have you written anything on why Glorfindel returns to ME? It would be a wonderful follow up to this.
Finch chapter 4 . 7/6/2003
Very good description of the horrors of destruction and the panic of flight. And though the outcome is known in advance and the story moves inexorably towards it, it was absorbing until the end.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 4 . 7/5/2003
This is simply superb - the finest Fall of Gondolin story I've read to date. The tragedy and the horror of the city's fall comes through vividly; Glorfindel's own death merely puts a coda on it. Are we going to see the Halls of Mandos through his eyes, too?

I'm definitely looking forward to reading more stories from your pen!
Clarenova chapter 3 . 7/4/2003
That's so sad. Poor Glorfindel... *hugs Earendil*
Finch chapter 2 . 7/1/2003
One of the best Fall of Gondolin stories I've read. Excellent combination of the information found in BOLT and the atmosphere of the Silmarillion. Very well-researched, too (one v.m. nitpick: it's Egalmoth, not Eglamoth, but that doesn't affect the story.)

I'm looking forward to the next installment!
Clarenova chapter 2 . 6/30/2003
Poor Glorfindel... Very vivid description here. Nice. )
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 6/29/2003
Very, very nice. Good use of Canon, good interpolation and conjecture, well-qualified and explained where it should be, in end-notes (not footnotes!) and a sprinkling of erudition that doesn't clog up the story and require a decoder ring. Elegant, spare prose (which I appreciate though I don't manage it) and an excellent employment of the high style in dialogue. I enjoyed the mental segues between the serious and eternal, and the lighter and trivial, realities in Glorfindel's thoughts, and the dignity throughout of these First Age characters. My only complaint is that it's too brief - and I look forward to more of your stories.

In short, a definite Elé!