Reviews for When is a Spoon a Sword?
kazikamikaze24 chapter 47 . 6/17
An awesome chapter. I'm at the edge of my seat wanting more!
I kind of lost interest here. Opened the tab again from history with some closing thoughts I had today while working...

I think you went about wrong with the teaching swordsmanship thing. I, too, would have started with kendo, but I would have begun with the first couple of nihon kendo kata, explaining to the reader alongside Ralts about ma'ai, timing, seme, tame, (maki)kaeshi... which would allow for more complex exchanges in fights, as the reader would have a better understanding (hopefully) of the components of the fight. Having her actually start by using pure kendo is a flawed approach and it goes back to the sune/kote argument I posited previously; kendo is too "refined" into a martial sport to work in this context. It doesn't even call itself a martial art anymore for example, which is beside the point that kendo in the first place is basically a competitive form of first blood dueling, rather than swordsmanship (by this I refer to the kiritsuke vs kirioroshi argument, that kendo is only kiritsuke, wounding an opponent enough that you create an opening for a coup de grace, which would come from some other form of training). This is partially because of how influential Itto ryu was, which in turn was and is a dueling style specialized against other swordsmen. So for general battlefield use where it wasn't always sword vs sword it wasn't considered especially good, which for Pokemon battles where the types of opponents are even more varied, makes it a particularly bad fit.

This is to say, I don't think the "kendo swordmaster" aspect here works. I dunno if you had some method for working on this with HEMA, but I don't think the foundation is solid enough for it to interest me. Though that wasn't why I lost interest, it just wasn't keeping me interested enough to keep reading. What bored me was the lack of challenge, and the trite usage of real life pop culture. "You're" in the world of Pokemon and you name your partners after gacha waifus, and you gush about all kinds of other stuff, instead of the world of Pokemon? I don't get it. I really don't.
Uraharaisgod chapter 2 . 6/13
Curious, will the rest of his pokemon team be themed off the Knights of the Round as well? Random ideas Torkoal/Gawain (Drought and lots of fire), Decidueye/Tristan (archer...only real option), Pidgeot/Percival (knight of the dove), Poliwrath/Lancelot (lake berserker theme), Mimikyu/Mordred (desperate imitation for affection), Stoutland/Bedivere (loyalty EX).
I think I've reached a conclusion on the titular question; it's not. A suriage shouldn't work like that, especially not with a spoon.
I think it was a mistake to give Ralts a spoon from the start.

You've hyped it up too much in the author notes and now it's mundane. Should have started off with her using her bare hands like Gallade, then a stick, then working all the way yo to the spoon. Going mining and finding the silver for it and all. I think it's the same issue as I had a little with the match against Machop; a loss against a fighting type on its turf would have been good contrast to the uncharacteristic win against a dark type prior.

Also using the kendo terms is a little distracting. I vaguely remember them but I imagine most readers wouldn't recognize them. It creates a gap in the narrative, breaking the flow. Not critically but still noticeably.
Should not have been a kote, but a sune. Men, kote, and do use the same vertical cut ("kirioroshi"? I don't recall) to optimize technique and to hide the intended target. A cut to the leg would be too low for that cut to properly work, and the angle is wrong, as a kote is a horizontal target struck down upon (usually).

The fact that there was a grip change and she "lashed out low" suggests a horizontal cut, which means that should not work. I could accept a do here, too, in lieu of a sune since it's not an accepted point in kendo (it should be), but not a kote.
I don't think suburi were necessarily the right way to begin training.
I'm not entirely convinced with the start. Maybe it's just because I'm from a European HEMA background, but it just seems off. At least, I could not read the moves used well enough to imagine it in action.
sd74 chapter 46 . 6/11
Vibrate feature not present?
sd74 chapter 44 . 6/11
So Sabine will have a "terrible loss" in some form then get back up for a montage or a "pick me up" from an important character making her stronger than before. Letting Nibbles get a key moment of being the badass he is.

One of the side characters pov should have Aaron as a cameo either through watching a vid, news or watching him pass by (as in we know he's there, but the sidecharacter doesn't notice).
sd74 chapter 42 . 6/11
Three ideas for Swift. I originally thought of star rod from Smash games, but...

1. Interceptor: basically wave her spoon to release a set of stars as some kind of containment (around the pokemon, not at them) or like brick wall that shows up to someone fast that they have to abort that which delays them for a second or two when needed.
2. Interruptor: a single relatively large star that serves toward the opponent as a small scale explosive force knocking them back or forcefully prevents their action from being completed. (knockback effect/fake out)
3. Shield Breaker: the spoon collectively gather sufficient energy and maintains it to which it can be used in close combat that is designed to break through their defenses or knock away relatively heavy objects.
Thunderwolf7226 chapter 46 . 6/8
What chapter did je talk down to thr other Ursuring?
Monkey D. Conan chapter 47 . 6/8
Well, it wouldn’t be Pokémon is someone didn’t run head first into trouble that didn’t concern them at all. Honestly, I’m impressed he had enough wisdom and restraint to not try and ambush them that first night. Excellent work as always! Can’t wait for more!
Ranmaleopard chapter 47 . 6/8
As always this is just really awesome and I can't wait for more
DistantTides chapter 47 . 6/8
Gonna be honest, I hope he ends up picking up a chikorita. I never see them used in fics and it would be a great tank for the team.
1,071 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »