Reviews for Linden and Laurel
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
Very well written.
mossysnakes chapter 1 . 5/15/2006
whoa. that wuz SWEET. way sweet. yeah. um...yeah. it wuz really good it hould hav mor comments...!
haiku chapter 1 . 2/22/2004
you are brilliant. The language is absolutely beautiful in this piece. I LOVE the imagery and symbolisms...
do you write poems? It would be nice if you did
~haiku
rabidsamfan chapter 1 . 2/16/2004
This is probably the best post-quest story I've read, and I've read a lot of them lately. It's beautiful. And thankyou for remembering the rose bush.
Rose Sared chapter 1 . 9/24/2003
oh you made me cry, with your lovely imagery and love of the trees.

That was a truly lovely story and I will read it again and again.

sniff

Rosemary
Iorhael chapter 1 . 8/5/2003
Gotcha! Ha ha ha... This is not a review for this story, but for your chapter of RATM!

I don't want Emma to send my review to you. I want YOU to receive it directly.

So... what else can I say? That was great! How I wish to write something like that in my story but I just can't!

There is a weakness, though. It was too short! Please, please write more. I miss your stories!

Mwaahh! Iorhael
heartofahobbit chapter 1 . 7/23/2003
what a wonderful way to show the strength and devotion shared by these three characters...as a gardening fan I can not tell you how meaningful it is to draw the essence of these very complex characters into something as seemingly simple, yet profound as trees and flowers. The simple joys and beauties of life reflect Sam's desires to see all things about him as something he can "make better"...The struggle of the Linden to survive it's sapling stage...it's entry into the world of "treedom" is so like the quest that raged within Frodo as he tried to attain a healthy and mature hobbithood...a quest that eventually required that he surrendor his home to be transplanted elseware...and Rosie is so perfectly portrayed by the gift of beauty that the rosebush seeks to give...I must say I am becoming more emotionally fragile as the hours lengthen...I was very moved by your story and its beautiful symbolism...do you think...on a contemporary note...that people learn from and have their own day to day decisions/opinions affected by the choices made by heros in literature? Given today's very fear fraught and unhealthy nature...I would like to suggest that LOTR become required reading for all who wish to enter the all to grown up world of politics...Thanks...I am so glad I took the time to "hunt" for your sequel to AR!
Gypsie Rose chapter 1 . 7/16/2003
Bravo! I started this story with a little trepidation after "Autumn's Requiem," afraid it was going to be a further slide downhill into the misery of irretrievable loss. Fortunately, this provided a soothing balm for the pain of the second story.

I liked the fact that you made the connection between Frodo and the linden tree explicit; it would have been a somewhat obvious symbol otherwise, without any real payoff. This is a case where "more is more."

-Rose
Kathy B chapter 1 . 7/10/2003
A lovely ending to a lovely suite of stories. "Nigh on September" is still my favorite-it was great fun to see Frodo raising hell for a change-but each was a pleasure in its own way. You have a real gift with words and avoid many of the traps that other fanfic authors fall into...like overly gushy descriptions of Frodo. This is so much better: "rich sable on finest porcelain dusted with nutmeg." Hope to see more stories from you!
Trust No One chapter 1 . 7/8/2003
Once again I am speechless, but then I have come to expect nothing else from you! I am on holiday now and have actually found an Internet cafe to read my mail and there it was, the alert for your new story! Your symbolism is flawless as is your perspective. How Sam is not really whole, in spite of everything/everyone that surrounds him, until he starts to believe that Frodo found his healing. I always believed that Sam was affected by the Quest and Frodo's subsequent departure at levels many people never realised he possessed. If I may say so, this story makes me love Sam more, if more is indeed possible... Btw, I followed into your footsteps and wrote a continuation of my first fic. If you have time, check it out.

Thanks again and please write again soon!
FantasyFan chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
Oh, how beautiful. *wiping eyes*

Sam is so faithfully done. His love for growing things, his need to take care of that which is wounded, and especially his love for Frodo, are so well portrayed.

The dream of a healed Frodo is just a masterpiece. Again in this story, the contrast between wounded and whole is marvellously realized. These are the lines I like:

'Frodo threw his head back and laughed and Sam thought the sound was like clear bells, elves singing and a summer breeze blowing through lilies all rolled into one.' and

'But what caught Sam's breath and filled his heart was the way Frodo’s eyes were clear and joyful. They no longer held on to fathomless pain or terrible wisdom nor did they shine with the harsh light of tribulation that had so torn at Sam's heart. Rather they glowed softly, with a gentle radiance borne of true happiness and in their bright blue depths sparkled mirth and merriment. ' and

'He sidled over to Sam and dropped beside him with a graceful, limber ease, no twinges or winces that made you imagine you could hear his bones rubbing together as he moved. '

Adding the sense of smell of chamomile and ink, and the details of silver hair and lost finger that convince Sam, really bring the dream to life.

Just yesterday, I was walking down a new street and saw a tree I couldn't identify. I brought home some leaves and the seeds, and looked it up in my book. It was a linden, called the bee-tree for the sweetness of its flowers and sap. It's a good tree for Frodo - stately with a strong beauty.

Thanks for the story.
Krista2 chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
This story was so beautiful and I really liked the way in which you intertwined Frodo and the tree into sort of a one story. The ending was really breathtakingly good, there isn’t often when stories are ended like that, yours is a very special one and it’s like you’ve found the key to Tolkiens mind and heart. The description you give away is so extremely beautiful, that I bet many of the readers (including me) have been on verge of tears. Great job!
endymion2 chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
This is so beautiful! The allegory with the plants is a splendid idea

After I looked up which kind of trees „linden“ and „laurel“ are in German, it became clear.

The slender, lithe tree of love, tree of Freya...and the rosebush, so still someone is watching over (Frodo’s Shireself?) although Sam has left, and yet in a way he is still there in this tree of honour and wealth...

„There eventually came a spring when neither linden nor laurel sprouted buds and their branches were bare and bereft of life. As if seeing this, the rosebush gave forth one more season of the loveliest roses anyone had ever seen the like of and then quietly curled up its leaves and passed - as if only waiting for the linden and the laurel and then bursting with joy before releasing its hold on the fertile soil of the Shire.“

I would love to read how linden and lorel fared in the Undying Lands in your poetical words
shirebound chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
This is a truly beautiful piece, although it would have been nice to have it end with Sam's joyous revelation (I'm a sucker for a happy, uncomplicated ending!). But you truly captured the circle/cycle of life, and the ongoing nature of love and growth and rest.

And I love this line particularly, although I can't explain why. Maybe there's a story here for someone to write...

"The coffers of Gondor had been thrown open to him, offers of gold and parcels of land were offered to him with open palms and he had wanted none of it - he had only wanted to go home."
Teasel chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
Lovely, lovely work - the symbolism of the trees works splendidly both as a narrative device and as a profound means of communicating emotion. This is so sad, although of course it holds out the hope that Frodo and Sam eventually do find happiness - Frodo Gardner's last line really put tears in my eyes *sniffs pathetically*. Thanks, ladies, this was wonderful.