Reviews for Rivalry
Zexion's Somebody chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
Great insight into Saeki-kun's mind, have been looking for fics with him all over, there just aren't enough! So thank you for this.

And about your author's note: yeah, I can totally see Yoda playing Go, it just fits. xD

Same goes for the elves, or at least something similar.

Saitou, too, dunno about Kenshin, maybe when he's in serious!mode, otherwise he's get slaughtered. xD
azab chapter 1 . 5/7/2009
i loved it
Khelc-sul Renai chapter 1 . 3/4/2009
The Lord of the Rings fan responds: Yeah, I think the elves would play go. It would be awesome if they do, anyway...

The Kenshin fan responds: I can see Kenshin playing it, so I wouldn't be too surprised...

I like this. It's an interesting PoV and a good story.

Well written.
CocoLime chapter 1 . 6/22/2008
haha, wow. You play go? that's pretty cool XD ...and I think the proper Chinese for sanrensei should be san lian xin. hehe no offense. nd they use Celsius, and summer in Japan is fricking BURNING hot.

...good story though. nicely done.

one more thing - ever wonder why it's go, and not weiqi or (...what's the korean word? ba-something?) ...? *spots something at the bottom*

omg! you're from california! so am I! ...I'm sorry, I think something must be getting to me, I've really only said two half-sentences in this review regarding the story. gomen na.

Kals chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
Thank you for a good story. I like it very much.
htenywg chapter 1 . 11/13/2003
Hm. Interesting. Very well-written, and the thought-processes were quite clear... :D Jia you!

EEh. Can't decide whether you're Chinese or not. On one hand, you know han yu pin yin, and you know go is weiqi, and you know a lot about Chinese culture (the four arts)... On the other, I was always under the impression that American Chinese didn't... really... enjoy their culture.

Then again, I might be wrong. You might have been born in China/Singapore/Taiwan/whatever, and then moved to Calif.

In any case, hi! I'm a true-blue Chinese living in Singapore.

To answer the 'things to think about':

Wufei MIGHT play weiqi. I used to ponder that question, but I never went anywhere with it. It's quite likely, though...

Well..I once saw an episode of Rurouni Kenshin where some people (can't remember who) were playing a board game... it might have been Kenshin and Sanosuke, and it might have been that OTHER Japanese board game, not shogi, the other one, but I can't remember. Maybe, though.

*shudders* *tries to imagine Brit schoolboys even trying to understand weiqi, magical or no* *fails*

Elves? why not? they have all the time in the world to play it. :D

Same for the elves, Yoda has all the time in the world to play it! And you made a very good point in your fic itself which would apply to Yoda:

You can be the most clueless moron in the world, but sit down in front of a goban, pick up some stones, and something about the game just transforms you into the very epitome of seriousness and concentration.

So, maybe. Why not? :D
GreenEyes7 chapter 1 . 11/10/2003
Wow , this was a very nicely written piece. Being a total Hikaru/Akira fangirl, it was really nice to see one of the other character's take on their rivalry. Saeki and Ashiwara were nice too, and Iliked Saeki's speech on why he plays go and how Ashiwara gives him a pep talk.
ee970 chapter 1 . 8/2/2003
Oh! Saeki! -and- Ashiwara! *dies*

-er, more seriously, good stuff. I like the parallel of bonus characters to Hikaru-Touya. Most people don't really give any thought to how most folks would take to these young upstarts crashing onto the scene and taking over... perfect for a story. (and Saeki! yay!)
Aishuu chapter 1 . 7/15/2003
I love it. *kicks stupid fritzy for not letting her review earlier* Saeki is sadly underused, and I'm a huge fan of the "missing scene" fics. Ashiwara is absolutely on target, and I personally agree with Saeki - there's NOTHING worse then someone with an annoying habbit... though I'd pull an Ashiwara... wonder if it's a strategy... I like how you have Saeki conclude on rivalries, and it's a great way to reflect on Shindou/Touya... I'm always looking for new angles on them. _~
Ami chapter 1 . 7/6/2003
Hehehheh! this was funny! The little notes were funny too...Yes to all the you're a go player that actually plays in tournaments x_x I suck; i get slaughtered all the time...Mandarin huh...anyway, it's pretty well written, flowing happy...yeah...I like it. It's kinda simple...okay rambling now...but just keep writing forevermore!
a.n.g.e.l chapter 1 . 7/5/2003
Great story! One of the better HNG fics I've read.
Pundit chapter 1 . 7/4/2003
I really enjoyed it! It's very interesting to see your take on the events from the manga... and from Saeki-san's POV too! (I'm a huge fan of telling stories from different POvs... I think it's more interesting that way _) Most stories I read up here take place after the manga ends but I think this is the first one I've seen that takes place *during* the arc. I loved your use of actual dialogue that occured in the manga! It was funny and angsty (er.. yeah, that's not a word, is it?) and I think it worked out WONDERFULLY! GREAT STORY! _
Dallisse chapter 1 . 7/4/2003

Nice fic, I loved Saeki's POV about their rivalry. Great work.

I'm a RK fan and I don't think that neither Kenshin nor Saitou payed GO... but, the only thing we ever see them doing in the manga is fighting... so who really knows?
JMJV chapter 1 . 7/4/2003
Well, I think Farenheit is only used in America, the last time I went to Japan, and the last time I saw Japanese news, they used Celsius...Farenheit is evil...

Burittoni Supiazu I think its pronounced.

Overall, I loved this fic, it got me laughing so hard I nearly woke up the family when I read it. Good job.
OmegaNY037 chapter 1 . 7/3/2003
I liked this fic a good deal. It was completely original yet still remained canon the entire time. It didn't really have too much of a plot or climax, but that really wasn't your goal. Overall I enjoyed it.

As to your question about Kenshin playing Go, I actually have an answer for that. In the anime(not the manga), there is a scene where Sanosuke is playing(and losing) multiple games of Shougi(similar to Go, but more correctly defined as Japanese Chess). This scene happens right towards the beginning of the Knights of the Brotherhood mini-saga.

For Harry Potter, given the number of wizard replacement's for muggle things, there could be a wizarding Go. I'm not sure how that would be, maybe self moving pieces or the shapes made by the game can be used in Divination. We know from Cho Chang that there are Asain wizards and witches.

As for Gundam Wing, I am more of a Gundam UC 0079 fan I can't really say:)