Reviews for The Wedge
Marnie chapter 1 . 4/1/2012
Hi Finch! How lovely to hear from you again :) I'm out of fandom these days too, but it will be a very long time before I forget how much I respect and admire your work. Which makes it all the more awesome to get such a lovely review. Thank you! I'm sorry I had to reply like this, but the site won't let me reply to your review the normal way.

I'm really glad you enjoyed Seeds of Old Trees. I had a ball trying to fit in all the really obscure Sindarin elves I could think of while also trying to make Valinor seem like a real place. As I see it, Earendil is still there in his boat with a Silmaril on his head, being the elvish morning star - it's just that he's concealed by the will of the Valar from the gaze of men, and the elvish morning star is not the same as the human morning star. /bogus technobabble :)

Thank you again!
Maglor's finch chapter 1 . 8/16/2007
So, finch, when are you going to write something again? Past time, I'd say.
Klose chapter 1 . 2/4/2007
I'd been wondering for a several weeks if I dare click the link and see what lies beneath... forgetting, apparently, that I've read this once before. (Also, guh, am really embarassed to see that pathetic excuse of a review I left before. Here to rectify that!)

Well, I suppose I did see the twist coming, if only because I couldn't think of any other taboo in a story involving two siblings, and also because I've got a rotten mind like that (also, possibly, that some part of my subconcious remembered this story.). ;)

Nonetheless, I did have my doubts until the moment of revelation. And I have to say, I was (quite literally) gripping the edge of my seat.

Lots of interesting things going on here... it's sad, on one hand, to see how Morgoth's words have allowed for the perversion of Lalwen's love for Fingolfin into something sexual. Yet, having read Lalwen's opinions on the matter, I do find myself wondering if I'm not being uppity and narrow-minded conservative. She quite persuaded me with her words on elven love - exile from Valinor, release from bondage. Makes sense.

Intriguing also that despite his horror, Fingolfin can't help but give into Lalwen's kiss - does make me wonder if part of it is that he truly pines for his wife, or it's mostly just his ongoing mental breakdown - the sum of this, and his previous experiences, does give some insight into his rash act of calling Morgoth out in single combat (does it ever!).

My favourite part of this fic must be the interchange that begins with "...This is not love[..]" and ends with Lalwen's very scathing (but accurate) rebuttal. Metaphysics and philosophy, along with observations in family dynamics, all in those phew sentences - woah! And, of course, Glorfindel's 'background', as you've laid it down here is terribly fitting (if rather traumatising!). Masterful writing, Finch (as per usual ;))... this story was excitingly shocking, and nothing short of excellent!
toastedcheese chapter 1 . 12/29/2006
Just wandering in and reading some of your stories...

This was a really compelling story; the characterization was handled very skilfully and made me keep reading (even though it's the kind of plot that would normally squick me out indeed.)
Celebril chapter 1 . 11/29/2004
*shiver* This is a somewhat darker Lalwen than I ever write, and if I'm going to play with this pairing I only hint vaguely at it, but...wow. Very affecting story, and lovely writing.
jojo11 chapter 1 . 5/21/2004
quite interessting story, i liked it very much.
poor fingolfin!
but why is glorfindel called inglorion then?
jojo
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 2/10/2004
Lalwen reminds me of a succubus, in that moment just before Fingolfin realised who she was. Beautifully uncanonical. :P I especially like this line of Fingolfin's:
'This is not love, this is greed. Love gives and does not take, merely to satisfy a want and fill an empty womb. We cannot have children like we have possessions- and you know it, or else you would have sent for me when he was about to be born. Your heart has turned to the dark, woman. You have used me. Dishonoured me. Constrained me. Deceived me!'
Hellga chapter 1 . 1/28/2004
Yes, uncanonical to the extreme, but extremely interesting. BTW I always thought that Glorfindel was Lalwen's son - except NOT by Fingolfin, of course. Poor Fingolfin...
aragonvaar chapter 1 . 12/22/2003
excellent story, I still remember, months after first reading it, the chill down my spine as Fingolfin worked out the genetics in his mind. Something odd: up until he named the child, I kept expecting the boy to turn out to be Gil-Galad. Dunno why, maybe because it neatly sidesteps the "where is Fingon's wife?" issue.
Prophetic Fire chapter 1 . 8/19/2003
Dang, that was good! Sososososo good! If I may say something, it's nice to know people think like me. *cringes* Oh my. Does that sound right? (I'll explain via e-mail.) Anyway, you get the idea. So god! Love your writing style! No nitpicks!
Earwen of Alqualonde chapter 1 . 8/19/2003
Hm..."The Wedge" seems aptly named though I do not know how to explain it. Sorry for the 'unhelpfulness'

I was not suprised when I found out Fingolfin was the father of Senya. At first I thought it was Finarfin though. An interesting read.
Earonn chapter 1 . 8/4/2003
It’s not indifference or laziness why my review comes so late. Just the opposite, it’s because for me ‚The Wedge‘ was very difficult to review.

Not the story itself, of course, I enjoyed it much (though I always imagined Lalwen as a nice lady *g*). But I had great problems to decide who of the two is right and who is wrong and in which degree.

Like in real life both Fingolfin and Lalwen have their points. Indeed, should not love stand above law? It’s an old motif, the guilt of incest, be it committed knowingly or unknowingly and all the tragedies that arise from love forbidden by ‚laws‘.

(Maeglin nods vehemently)

But of course it’s not love that drives Lalwen, or she would respect her brother’s right to decide for himself and his love for Anairë. Her opinions are at least partly correct, but out of the wrong reasons. And there's Morgoth's influence! *shakes her poor, confused head*

Anyway, thanks for the fun I had by reading and thinking about ‚The Wedge‘.
ARtanis chapter 1 . 7/23/2003
*Big grin*

I really really like this fic. This is one of my favorite among your fics. Lalwen had such strong character, so brave, so determined. I really love her here, a rebellious woman with reason, and fearless. It's very opposite of Fingolfin's dream indeed, Anaire, who in her "holiness" refused to join him.

I think most of people, including me, is just like Fingolfin, rebel half heartedly. Out of fear. They reminds me of a Bible verse where Lord will spit out those who're lukewarm, neither cold nor hot.

Great story. Thank you very much. I feel so honored that you wrote a bday fic for me.
Klose chapter 1 . 7/9/2003
I wasn't really struck by the ending as I know I should have been (and would have been ;)) had I not seen your LJ post before reading the fic. And I managed to guess that Fingolfin was the father because I think you've got a slight hint somewhere in there? Hmm.

Still, I liked the part with Fingolfin and 'Anaire'. The F/A shipper in me will glaze over the fact that she was really Lalwen. :P

That line about her not being a maiden anymore, not laughing anymore, just... woah. Very poignant.

But the last part- simply brilliant.

All in all, a very interesting premise for a story! I like the idea. :)
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 7/9/2003
Now that was shocking and unexpected! Good, though. Very good indeed.