Reviews for Tricky Relations
IcyWaters chapter 1 . 4/22/2011
What a wonderful story! I am a big fan of “The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.” and you captured the essence of the characters remarkably well. Their dialogue, mannerisms and attitudes were spot-on. There’s only a handful of Brisco fan fiction, but this is one of the best and has me craving more. I wish you would write more for the series. :-)

I am only vaguely familiar with “The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne.” I recall watching it when it originally aired in the U.S. a long time ago (has it really been over ten years?), but I don’t recall specific episodes or plot details. It’s a shame the show has not been released on DVD.

It was fun how Bowler got the girl this time around instead of Brisco. The running joke over how he got the title Lord was amusing. It reminded me of Professor Coles in “The Orb Scholar.” :-) The idea of an American ruffian using the British title must have really irritated Phileas! I also loved that you worked in a card game and the coming thing. John Bly was as delightfully sleazy as ever.

The only confusing area was the scene near the end when Bly groveled before this mysterious figure. It was so unlike him…I figured the decrepit madman is a character from Jules Verne that eludes me. :-)

If I have any nitpicks, it’s that Professor Wickwire’s lead zeppelin appeared after the Bly storyline, but I was having such a blast that it’s a minor point. I also thought the gunshot to Bowler’s back should have been taken more seriously.

Thank you so much for sharing this terrific crossover. Any way I can talk you into writing more for Brisco? :-)
Master of the Boot chapter 1 . 4/1/2010
This is a great story, that needs to be said. I used to watch the secret adventures of Jules Verne when I was a kid and I've just got around to watching a few episodes of Bristol County Jr. So seeing them together was a real treat.

The mark of a truly great crossover is that you're able to take the best traits of both fandoms and combine them. You've done it. You've got the tongue in cheek feel of Bristol county and the sophisticated intrigue of Jules Verne. It all works out wonderfully and works out even better when you throw in real history.

From what I could tell, all the characters were acting like they were supposed to. Interactions were totally believable and enjoyable. I got a real kick out of Phileas (but i think his name is phineas) playing cards with Brisco. It's a classic story of gruff meets erudite but you gave it a fresh spin.

I love the litle romance between Bowler and REbecca. I always thought that she was really cool on the show. That leather outfit of hers was great! Thanks for including it.

I've never seen Bly but he was one hell of a slimy bastard. Great villain. And If I'm not mistaken, that shadowy villian was from the Jules Verne show. Was he the injured guy in a mask? Count Gregory I think his name was.

One last thing. Who was the time travelling vampire?

Ta

Master of the Boot
Darkrider62 chapter 1 . 3/24/2006
Very nice. Please write more of them having to work together. Both sides need a little "help".
Lady Philyra chapter 1 . 2/10/2006
I was familiar with Kevin's stories from the Aurora Journals, but this one was new to me. How could I pass up a story that combines my two favorite shows?

I enjoyed this very much. The dialog from Brisco, Bowler, and Socrates was dead on. I could just picture each of them saying those lines! Rebecca's dialog was also good, but Phileas, especially at the beginning of his interaction with the Brisco County cast didn't ring as true.

The plot was fun. The fight scenes (one of my own weaknesses as a writer) were well envisioned. And I was intrigued by the idea of an attraction between Rebecca and Lord Bowler.

With three tall men in this story, I found myself wanting to have some sense of just how tall they were in relation to one another. We know Bowler is noticably taller than Brisco (and everyone else on that series) although it wasn't mentioned in this story. A little digging should turn up the actor's heights so you could get an idea of the characters relative heights. I believe Michael Praed is 6 foot 1.

Good job, Kevin! A lot of fun! I have added this to my favorites list.
Glaivester chapter 1 . 6/17/2004
Liked it.

Never really got into SAJV, but I saw enough eps to understand the main plotline.

Big ABCJr. fan.
EmBeatle chapter 1 . 8/24/2003
I enjoyed your story quite a bit...have always been a SAJV fan as well as Brisco! Wrote, though, to comment on your horrendous pun...Rebecca at Sunnybrook Farm? For shame! You made me grin. Keep up the good work.