Reviews for Encroaching Darkness
Oriongirl chapter 20 . 8/19/2012
So...I know you're probably not writing stories anymore or even checking reviews, but I just had to say:

There was a paragraph in here that literally made my heart skip a beat and left me gasping for breath. You are one of the most expressive writers I've ever read on this site and your diction, syntax, and imagery all work together in perfect harmony. It's been a long time since I've read something that has affected me that way, and for this refreshing experience, I thank-you. All of your stories are well thought out and brilliantly executed. Thank-you for restoring my love of smooth prose. It is most appreciated :)
Oriongirl chapter 20 . 8/16/2012
Okay, so I know this story is old and you're probably not writing stories on here anymore, but I just had to say this:

You are an excellent writer-your diction is superb and your use of phonetics in conjuction with imagery is amazing! There was a paragraph in here that literally left me breathless, my heart skipping a beat as I gasped. That hasn't happened to me in a looonngggg time and I treasured the experienced. So thank-you, Miss Ecri, and I hope you don't give up the pen!
Midnight Promise chapter 35 . 2/20/2008

I have waited to do a long review at the very end, because to actually STOP and not read what was going to happen next was just not possible! :D

First off, was there a story before this one? There some parts in the story that hinted at one. And another subject. . .WOO-HOO SEQUEL! ,

I enjoyed reading this story and I can't wait to read the second one!

I liked the bonds between Aragorn and Legolas and with their brothers. I am a sucker for that stuff! Hopefully there will be like that. . .*wink-wink, nudge-nudge* ; D

Gah! Its maddening to read what Saruman is doing and everyone else turning a blind eye to it! X_X

Nice job on the characters; there were well done!

I hope there will a LOT of Aragorn angst in the next one! You can never get enough of it! ;-)

All in all, I loved the story (as if you couldn't see that!) and I am excited for more!

Hope everything is going great in your life right now!

Take care,

Midnight Promise
Ainu Laire chapter 35 . 6/5/2005
Wow! Absolutely fabulous!

I am very curious to see a sequel... I have a feeling it will be AU. I hope there is Aragorn torture/angst (certainly seems there will be Elf torture/angst!).

Please, when you start posting it, think you could email me at ainu_laire at yahoo dot com? I *really* want to read it. When do you think you'll start posting it?

Lovely story! I really enjoyed it!

Thorongirl chapter 35 . 4/9/2005
I started reading this story last year and then after I'd gotten quite a ways through it, set aside for fear that you might not finish it. Then, a few months ago when you updated, I was really excited. But I had a lot of catching up to do to get to the end of the story and in the meantime I am also reading several dozen other stories. Not that I am obsessive or anything. So, here I am, very belatedly to compliment you on a most excellent story. Reading the last several chapters of your story, I felt as though I was reading some tale that had been handed down through generations of time. Wonderfully atmospheric. I loved the idea that Legolas is so key to Aragorn's claiming the throne. Gondor is the weak link, eh? Denethor? Along with many others, I'm most anxious for the sequel. I can never read enough about my favorite ranger and his sidekick. Man, I LOVE fan fiction! This way, the story never ends.
White Wolf1 chapter 35 . 3/1/2005
I really enjoyed this story. You had the right amount of suspense and drama without going overboard. It was easy to read, which I think is very important to help hold a reader's attention.

I loved the display of friendship between Legolas and Aragorn. Those two are so good together, willing to do anything, including risking their own lives, to help/save the other.

I also love the way you portray the love between Celeborn and Galadriel. After all their years together, they not only still have a deep love but, of course, know each other so well. Good job.

I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Nettie84047 chapter 35 . 2/22/2005
This story was absolutely riveting! I had a hard time tearing myself away. The characters were well developed and it was easy to differentiate between them. You are a very talented writer and I am thoroughly looking forward to the sequel.
grumpy chapter 35 . 1/30/2005
Great story, loved every chapter, and very well writen. You did great writing all the characters.

Glad that Legolas is back to his normal elfness, and that Estel helped him get there. Now he knows what it is like to live as a human.
Icy Sapphire15 chapter 35 . 1/27/2005
Wahahahahaha! *cries* Why did it have to end? I wanna know what's gonna happen to our darling elf prince now that Sauroman has plans for him? Get sequel up soon!
catherineXXIX chapter 35 . 1/27/2005
WIth mixed emotions, I read this 'Final Chapter". I didn't really want this story to end. And then you gave me hope! A sequel!

I really enjoyed what you did with Galadriel and Celeborn. The concern Celeborn has for his wife is very well written. And I like Galadriel's decision about not looking into her mirror. It was very well thought out and felt like the right decision. I wonder if any of us would deny ourselves the chance to take a peek into the future?

I also liked Elladan's musings about his father and Elros, and about himself and Elrohir. Th bond that twins share is very intense and this described it very well.

I like Aragorn's realization that he was growing more confident in his abilities and his destiny and his choices. You really get the feeling that something had begun here. Very nicely written.

I also really eenjoyed the narative by the trees. What a wonderful way to set the scene. I liked that the trees in Mirkwood were suspicious of Sauruman, and that they were worried about Legolas.

And having Gandalf heading out to se Bilbo! Nice touch. I like how Gandalf senses something and tries to decipher what he's sensing. He's aware, and that's good even if he has no idea what's happening.

And Ending with Sauron searching for the ring and screaming with rage - wow! Very ominous!

Loved it! And I will be waiting for your sequel. Excellent job!
Ithil-valon chapter 35 . 1/27/2005
Wonderful story!

"Galadriel had long watched Estel and Legolas somehow sensing that their paths would cross, that they together would be greater than each alone. Having them both here within Caras Galadhon strengthened this belief. There was something between the two…a brotherly affection, an easy trust, a bolstering of each other's weaknesses that made them formidable as long as they fought side by side." ~ Beautiful description. It was a joy to see Legalos laughing and happy again and the friends at peace with each other.

Boo Saruman...keep him away from the Prince!

I look forward to the sequel, and I look forward to finishing A Pirates Life and Death as well. :)
Elven Kitten chapter 35 . 1/26/2005
An incredible ending! _ Keep up the incredible work! Can't wait for the sequel! _

Icy Sapphire15 chapter 34 . 1/26/2005
Aw, Legolas awoke! This is a fitting almost ending. I can't wait to read the next chapter/sequel.
Ithil-valon chapter 34 . 1/26/2005
"It is gratitude to Eru, and infatuation with all the beauty he has created that keeps me gazing skyward, Mithrandir." ~ A wise elf. A wise author. Is this not something we should all echo?

"We have spoken much of the Shadows and the Darkness, Mithrandir, but behold!" He waved a hand to encompass the dawn. "Light encroaches over Darkness each morn!" ~ Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! Let us hold to the light while we may, for the darkness ever comes.

A Sequel? A Sequel! Yea!
catherineXXIX chapter 34 . 1/26/2005
Yay! Another chapter! Thank you!

I love the interplay between Elrond and his sons here. And this line: Elrohir stifled another laugh as he realized Aragorn's inability to speak coincided exactly with Elrond's eyebrow raising. Great line! And then Aragorn directs Elronds attention to Elrohir to get the heat off himself! Priceless!

You're very good with the angst and the pain. The moment when Elrohir remembers what happened to his mother - wonderful and very believable.

And this:Elrohir watched in amazement as his father looked into the Estel's eyes, and for a moment, an insane, twisted, topsy-turvy moment, Elrond appeared the younger while in Estel's eyes swam the wisdom of ages. "Ada, even if I am to be Gondor's King, I am not ready to make such a claim. If Mordor's strength is growing, it is infinitesimally. There will be time." Then he spoke more emphatically. "There will be time."

Elrond smiled and squeezed his son's hand, and Elrohir felt Arda shift once more—righting itself—until an older Elrond now appeared to be comforting an Estel suddenly years younger than he'd been a moment before.

Whoa! Great! And Legolas's joy at hearing the song again. Very well done. (You sure like to mess with Legolas don't you?)

Anyway - It was all wonderfully written and I cannot wait for the next installment. Yoor love and respect for these characters really shows in your writing.