Reviews for Elsewhere
Makalaure chapter 9 . 2/23/2012
Oh my! This is such a beautiful story! Your style is very subtle and effective, and it is easy to see how aptly Maglor uses his senses - you really can tell he is an artist even if you haven't read The Silmarillion. I haven't enjoyed a story about Maglor this much in a long, long time.

I've never said this before, but this is going straight to my favourites!

Yours,

Maglor
Whitetree-Nimloth chapter 18 . 2/10/2010
I'm in awe. This is so well-written! And Baudelaire's poem fit the story so well! (de très beau poèmes, soit dit en passant )
RavenLady chapter 18 . 3/12/2005
The poems inserted at the begining of parts I and II make me wish I knew French. Darn.

This tale would certainly meet the standards of the greatest minstrel of the Noldor. I'm impressed with the whole story, but one bit in particular keeps haunting me.

"Your bird did not love you because it flew away."

He refused to think. "It loved freedom better." The phrase clung to his mind, an idea that he pushed away with all the willpower he had left, and he barred his mind to all further dwelling upon that subject.

*tries to breathe* What a way to hint at the rebellion of the Noldor.

The latest chapter is strange, but beautiful. You know what you're doing; I'm the one who's a bit bewildered by the image of Maglor screaming out the window. But I gave up on trying to understand that family some time ago.

I see this hasn't been updated for a while. Well, whether it's continued or not, it was worth the read.
Guest chapter 18 . 7/16/2004
I've just read this all in one go, so forgive me if my praise is not entirely coherent at the moment.

Quite simply, it's beautiful. First of all, the style is perfect for writing about Maglor, and I really feel that you have, whether intentionally or not, put his character into every line. Not only Maglor, but the entire House of Fëanor is portrayed perfectly in this piece. I agree with what every other reviewer has said, and see no need to repeat it here.

I must comment, however, on the last chapter, which was certainly the best. It was just so wonderfully disturbing in the most beautiful way possible, if that makes any sense.

I think that if I were to choose one word to describe this (and all of your writing for that matter) it would be insightful. I am sure there is a better word, but like I said, I am not entirely coherent at the moment. I hope you understand what it is I mean to say. I am just so awed that I can't find the right words.
Jillian Baade chapter 10 . 8/2/2003
What strange hold has Feanor on his sons that Maglor would throw away his Uncle's gift believing that it is what his father wants!
lipstick chapter 12 . 7/30/2003
Yet another totally believable Feanorian scene. Father and son and their obsessions.

It is a wonderful idea that Maglor never wanted to be a msician, it chose him, it was something he could not escape. Maybe Feanor never wanted to make jewels either. And Feanor's hands being cold... wow. They are fascinating creatures your quendi, sort of hyper-human.
lipstick chapter 14 . 7/30/2003
Aw heck, which one's Curvo?

*rummages under sofa for HoME 12*
lipstick chapter 15 . 7/30/2003
I love your brothers. They are so completely different but they love each other so much, and compared to the coldness and cynicism of so much of the house of Feanor it's beautiful.

I love Maglor being able to see the beauty in Maedhros' not-particularly-elegant peice of craftmanship, the way he describes it. Lovely.
lipstick chapter 18 . 7/30/2003
That Chat was utterly breathtaking. I know Maglor made you suffer for this but these last 10 chapters are the best thing you have ever written. Just the way the house of Feanor is so incredibly messed up, so full of unanswered questions and trouble for the future, yet everyone is so calm about it. Life still goes on. Maglor looses it a bit here (ch 19) but it's almost a relief.

And Maedhros and Maglor's relationship is wonderful. It is one hell of a family to belong to but they so obviously care for each other despite their very differing personalities. And Maedhros, trying to keep order is wonderful, so in charachter.
Cirdan chapter 5 . 7/30/2003
It's interesting that, instead of the instant attraction to the lute or lute-like instrument, Maglor finds it lacking in beauty compared to the rest of the room. But then, the instrument isn't fulfilling its purpose, is it? Not when it's not being played. Resembled a frying pan? I guess the Falathrim frying pans made it across the oceans. _; When it is played, it's far more powerful and beautiful, even if that beauty seems grotesque.

If it's not a toy, then does that mean Maglor is starting to perceive the difference between the child and adult world? What are not toys? "Serious" things? And after his display of innocence and naivity in the last chapter, we're also faced with the concept of a monster. Something bad that taints Aman? To say nothing of handling the lute as if to strangle or kill. Then the notion of such things has entered his awareness, if even peripherally (probably from seeing people hunt would be the most likely explanation).

And I really do love the last line, when the strings pronounce their existence to Maglor. That part of it speaks more to the artistic/poetic development of Maglor than the other issues of disillusionment of a child. He sees things differently, and they speak to him. Children do anthropomorphize, but this feels more like Maglor somehow hearing things that others can't. You've suggested that its akin to madness before. Maybe, probably, but looking at the other musical geniuses that have passed through time, I wouldn't be the least surprised, and it's hard to say whether or not the price is worth the music.
lipstick chapter 17 . 7/30/2003
*sobs a bit and can't say very much*

Poor Nerdanel, loosing the twins like that.

Still can't say very much.
lipstick chapter 16 . 7/30/2003
This has some amazing lines. Feanor, at first enthralled by the twins then loosing interest. said so baldly. "After a month, his mind wondered again." Poor Russa.

And Russa again "playing with nothing as only small childeren can" They seem so empty. It really seems like a terrible thing to be born late into the house of Feanor. The twins didn't really stand a chance. They just got the mess and the emptiness.

The image of the writing meshing into "a big black picture of nothingness" at the end left me gasping.
Cirdan chapter 4 . 7/30/2003
It's always had a true to experience kind of feeling to it. A child learning language... Parent points to a bird in the tree and says "bird." And the child has to gradually learn whether "bird" is a bird, a leaf, a tree, a branch, maybe a feather, or even if it means up and isn't an object. It's interesting to see that Maglor perceives the meaning of blessed the advjective, the more abstract meaning, really, before learning that it's also a noun. I suppose it says something of his innocence as a child born in Aman, but also, one subtly notices that Nerdanel focuses on the place, the object, the material. It reminds me of when Manwe chastises the Noldor for becoming too fixed on material goods (Silmarils) as opposed to the goodness itself.
lipstick chapter 13 . 7/30/2003
These are utterly gorgeous lost scenes from the house of Feanor. (And no Maglor doesn't sound anything like Curufin.)

Maglor's childlike question is so naieve and yet so true - well is Miriel happy? And Feanor(?) 's answer is wonderful.

*sigh*
lipstick chapter 11 . 7/30/2003
!

So that's how Maglor got his nickname. Feanor as controling of his son's fates as ever.