Reviews for Through Dreams and Despair
Varia Lectio chapter 1 . 5/17/2004
Hi, Varia Lectio here. I've been a fan of Legend for a long time, and I've been especially pleased to see that such talented writers are doing fanfic for it. I love your story and I have it on my favorites list. At first I didn't like the plot-line of Lily losing her virginity; I thought frankly that it sounded cheap and out-of-character. Well, I must say that I have been happily proven wrong! I enjoy Conner and Lily's interplay together; Conner sounds like a real person with emotions and regrets, instead of just a hunky cliche, and Conner and Lily's tryst has consequences for both their quest and their emotions. All of this helps to add depth to the story. I like how you brought Darkness and Oona back into play, and the part about Gump's...departure was shocking to say the least. (One tiny nit-pick, however; David Bennet, the actor who played Gump, doesn't have brown eyes, he has blue eyes. Just thought that I'd add that in. ;) ) I even like Edgar; he sounds like a nice young lad and I hope that things work out for him. I really do.
Anyway, if you want to contact me and give me some spoilers on what's going to happen next, please feel free!
Best Wishes, Varia Lectio
AnuKat chapter 12 . 5/14/2004
WOW! This story has me all wrapped up in it. Beautifully writte, it is as if it were meant to be, and the characters are true to their form. It's as if you were the original writer.
I am excited to read the next installment. Oh, what a place to stop! Such agony! :)
dragonodare chapter 12 . 5/10/2004
Have been reading for months, though this is my first posted review. Obviously, anybody reading this enjoyed Legend, but you have taken the film's fairly trite premise and developed it splendidly. Who could fail to love this Princess, purest lily-white subsumed not just by Ultimate Evil, but by her burgeoning adulthood. Conner and Edgar, as original characters, improve the plot and are obviously there to force the sting of reality into Lily and Jack's idyllic relationship rather than steal the show. While the filmmakers doted on Jack and tried to gloss over the fact that he's kind of a dopey person, I really like that you play that card to its fullest without turning him into a charicature of the Jack we see on-screen. That you've made Oona's crush on-going is great conflict, and with Edgar and his squire whatshisname entering the fray, the couples don't appear to pair off quite as tidily as the did in earlier chapters (my one critique). I eagerly await chapter thirteen!
Plaidly Lush chapter 12 . 4/11/2004
Oona does have a point you know. Everyone's all over Lily. Ah, well, what can be done? Onward, march!
The Second Batgirl chapter 12 . 4/11/2004
Ooh. Darkness getting all involved. :D And fighting between Jack and Connor... and Edgar being all sneaky. I liked. :D
Bejipan chapter 12 . 4/11/2004
Dun dun dun...
Yes! Let Darkness take matters into his own hands!
Keep up the good work and update soon,
caudelac chapter 4 . 4/7/2004
I will finish this later, but you know, I'm really rather interested, thusfar. Very nice. More later.
Plaidly Lush chapter 11 . 4/2/2004
I don't think c'est la vie is the right phrase. More like, "Oona isn't very nice" or something. I feel bad for her though. So, good job, again, and i hope to read more soon. Sque!
Bejipan chapter 11 . 4/2/2004
Gump died! What an interesting turn of events. Yes, bring Lily faster. But I thought that Darkness had already passed Lily in the forest. Her and Conner hid in the bushes. So why is Darkness still in the cave beyond the mountains?
Confused,
Snowstar chapter 11 . 4/2/2004
this is good, very good I'm happy that at least someone is writing a legend-fic'...keep up the good work...;)
The Second Batgirl chapter 11 . 4/1/2004
Oh! Poor Gump. :( And stupid stupid boys. But they're fun. And oo oo ooh for evil deals with Darkness.
Awesome chapter.
The Second Batgirl chapter 10 . 3/30/2004
WHOA. You are AWESOME. Loved the flashback, loved Jack's conversation with Oona, and I adore Darkness. Awesome chapter, even if it was short. :P
TSB
Plaidly Lush chapter 10 . 3/30/2004
Ah. All I have to say is that this story is *so* worth reading. I might even say it's better than the movie. Which i now want to go and watch.
Plaidly Lush chapter 9 . 3/22/2004
politics on parade! And not in a boring way, like in some stories. If the politics are interesting, you know you write well.
Bejipan chapter 9 . 3/20/2004
I love your seens with demon, or darkness as Lily has dicided to call him. Bring him back soon! Oh, and do something bad to OOna for me, will you?
Update soon,