Reviews for The Candle and the Star
Aquarius Seth chapter 1 . 9/13/2013
Excellent work here. The POV was an inspired choice, I would have never considered telling a story through a severed head. Excellent!
Gil Shalos1 chapter 1 . 10/25/2007
This is a greta story and a great insight into a character I always loved and wondered about. The way you structure the gradual development works really well and the writing is clear and lucid. It has the combination of the personal and the grand that Babylon 5 had and is a wonderful companion to the series.
bella-locomotive chapter 1 . 6/16/2005
Every aspect of this story is stunning. The writing is gentle, under-stated and so powerful in its subtlety. The concept of telling it from Morden's point of view is both delightfully twisted and unique and it works SO well. :) Wow. It's awesome.
Lord Marix chapter 1 . 3/14/2004
Words of wisdom form the severed head.
BetaReject chapter 1 . 9/10/2003
I loved hearing Mr Morden's perspective to this story it is quite intence. I love how everything is presented here very delicate but very strong definatly a good trait for a tale such as this...

While I am not familier with same sex relationships I must admit I rather enjoyed how Nur and Barenn were presented as two proper lovers and not some male's 'fantasy'.

The Biblical remarks of King Solomon only added to the cryptic feel of this story and served to enrich it that much more. By far an excellent piece of writing Kudos!
Hobsonphile chapter 1 . 8/19/2003
I loved hearing this part of the story from Morden's perspective. A little bit creepy, but very, very effective. My favorite part, however, was the following:

"I want poverty and hunger to end on Centauri Prime," Lennier said. "I want injustice and caste rivalry to end on Minbar. I want Londo to be free. I want wisdom, and self-knowledge, for myself and for my world.

"I want the Earth/Minbari war to be over. I want the Shadow/Vorlon war to be over. I want to be forgiven. I want to understand, and I want it not to hurt anymore.

"I want Delenn's love. Even if I will never have it, still it is what I want, and what I will always want, for the rest of my life."

I must admit I found myself getting a little misty reading this. You do *such* a marvelous job with Lennier.
Boo Kitty chapter 1 . 8/3/2003
I liked this story very much. It was one of the most well written pieces of fanfiction that I have read. In my opinion, fanfiction is one of the harder forms of fiction to write, requiring the author to strike a delicate balance of maintaining the characters as they have been established, and providing new insight into those characters. I thought that you did a very nice job of maintaining this balance.

I thought that is was a very unique and intersesting choice to use Morden as a way to bring the story to the reader. The image as Mordern as teacher because Lennier needs an outside focus to help him understand himself, was a very engaging aspect of the story.

I also liked the way that the story referenced other details of the show to make the piece richer and more grounded in the world already established by the program. Details like mentioning the monk of Theo's order, Findell, and the glowing, or in this case, not glowing Triluminary, helped give the story depth, and a sense of being a part of the whole story, rather than an isolated piece of fiction.

The piece did seem to presume, at least a little, that the reader is coming to it with a fairly well established sense of Lennier's history and character though I believe. Of course, within the context of a fanfiction site, this does not need to be a large consideration. I believe that the only way that this could really be noticed is if someone came to the story without this previous knowledge, and considering the prime audience, this seems unlikely.

On the whole, I really loved this story. Well written, references to Solomon, and a unique persepective, what more could you ask? Thanks for writing this!
Catseye chapter 1 . 7/30/2003
Absolutely fantastic. Morden made a wonderful narrator, and I think you got inside his head perfectly. Your presentation of Lennier was one of the best I've ever seen in fanfic, too; you struck the perfect balance between keeping him as the Lennier we know, and allowing him to vocalise everything he never dared say about Delenn. (I'm something of a Lennier fan, and it shows ;) ) I think the dialogue could have done with a touch more description thrown in, but even so, it was incredibly poignant. And choosing to end on Morden's story about the king was perfect.

I loved it.
Joan the Vampire Slayer chapter 1 . 7/28/2003
I am *greatly* impressed with the complex interweaving of threads and themes in this story, and the methods by which they reflect the human heart (even seen in an alien face). Wow.

Also, as a side note, thank you for showing a Minbari mated pair as being of the same gender; and double thanks for making them "real", with dimensions and regret, as opposed to either villains or perfect.
Selena chapter 1 . 7/26/2003
A beautiful, sensitive and utterly believable take on Lennier post-Objects at Rest. Morden's pov makes it all the more poignant and original.
Maia1 chapter 1 . 7/25/2003
Lennier, the legacy of shadows among the Minbari. Lennier, the Minbari forced by his own conscience to ask not "Who am I?" but "What do I want?" Lennier, the only Minbari who fully admits to his own agency and doesn't just blame his actions on destiny or prophecy or temporary insanity. Lennier, the only Minbari who can teach the others that only when they can get beyond the purity of "Who are you?" to the complexity and ambiguity of "What do you want?" - only then will they truly stand "between the darkness and the light"

This is a brilliant, BRILLIANT story.

Thank you.
Catspaw chapter 1 . 7/25/2003
That was very well-written and very unique. I liked it very much, especially your admittedly odd point-of-view character. Not many people would dare to use a severed head, but it works quite well.