Reviews for Flowers
I love this!
LuminiaAravis chapter 1 . 9/24/2011
Wow. This fic was just stunningly beautiful! I love how you show everyone that Rosso and Viola aren't actually all that bad, just people trying to get along like everyone else. I think how you portrayed them in the flashbacks was very lucid and honest. It's amazing how Rosso sort of started out conning Viola and then they sort of fell in love... It suits them perfectly. And everything was artistic, graceful, and brilliant. Like a fine baroque painting. Excellent work, my friend!
master of cheese graters chapter 1 . 4/1/2008
Cute, I like it.
Demi-Saiyajin Prodigy chapter 1 . 5/15/2004
Well, I certainly must say that I loved the whole style of this story. It all flowed together so well, and the nice bit of imagery at the beginning really drew me into the fic.
The characters, too. Granted, I know nothing of Zoids, but you managed to make Rosso and Viola jump right off the screen as if they were real people. Nothing seemed at all forced or overdramatic; everything was handled with a deft and subtle touch that gave such a perfect mood to the whole story. And the wry senses of humour were a real treat to read. Those are always a lot of fun.
Flashbacks are so tricky to handle sometimes, but they come off very well here. None of that characters' minds just wandering off intros for any of those. Just a simple statement of fact, a simple tie-in to the content of the flashback, and then away it goes. And then you pick up directly where you left off in the present. Great story flow with all that.
And the ending just fit perfectly with the whole tone of the story. Subtle and understated. The reader doesn't need anything more than that. This is really quite a piece of work.
DoraMouse chapter 1 . 5/14/2004
Nihao Sh33p,
Let's get the obvious out of the way: I'm not at all familiar with Zoids and tend to avoid the 'romance' genre as if it were an upset orc with an ICBM. Simply venturing into this realm - deliberately - is a rarity for me. However the journey beyond my familiar territory has proven worthwhile.
Your one-shot is, as expected, a refreshing glance at everything the romance genre SHOULD be. An actual romantic story! And what's so tragic is that I think this story will fly right over the heads of the typical audience drawn to this genre. For the average person, the definition of 'romance' tends to include - at the very mildest - at least one kiss. Alas, fic readers are generally not average people and their notions and expectations of romance... Well, if the vast majority of other stories shoved into this genre are any indication... *sighs and shakes head* Anyway. Sh33p, I almost wonder if you should try to pass this fic off as drama. Perhaps then it would find a more appreciative audience. *shrugs*
Soldiers and romance. On the surface it seems ironic, a conflict of interests and yet it's completely possible. Soldiers are not always the stereotypical pawns, mindless killing machines. They can be capable of thinking in other directions. You were wonderful to emphasize this so casually. To challenge the common perceptions not only of soldiers and war but also of romance.
Yes, the flower remark was sweet but... The romance here - for anyone who wonders - is from a couple of characters who work together, trust each other, have saved each others lives without asking for thanks and who will probably stay together in the future. They have friendship, they have love and they are capable of showing it without resorting to corny pickup lines or behavior that would cause the fic to be rated NC-17 or higher.
The character depth was wonderful. Despite the fact that I know nada of Zoids, reading this story made me feel better aquainted with Rosso and Viola. There was a great deal of information presented here - compact but enough to give a vague feeling for where each character came from, how they'd met and what they'd been through since. In fact... The story gives such a good impression of who these characters are that I don't particularly mind not knowing all the details.
Persona wise... Really, these are two very admirable characters. They trust and support each other. They don't deny help when they need it. They don't give up easily, remaining optimistic. They don't seem to hold any major grudges. The intensity of subtle emotion, the deep-rooted stubborness. Honest. Adaptable. Mild senses of humor. Good memory.
Sure, maybe these characters are only like this OPENLY when near-death but... I think emergencies and near-death situations kinda bring people out of their personal shells. Situations like these give a glimspe into what people are really like, instead of what they WANT us to think they're like. So for a moment... We see the person, not the mask. We see what keeps them going, what makes them tick.
So if the behavior of these characters is plausible due to the circumstances they are in... Then this might not be as OOC as you'd assume. This might just be a passing glimpse of each characters core persona, their soul. What they are like when they let their guard down, what they were like as kids and perhaps what they will become more like when they age enough to retire. It's what they would BE like, maybe, if they weren't soldiers. Right?
I see that your writing style has matured Sh33p. Your HT stories were brilliant but this just flows so much better. The plot pace, the way the story is woven... It's more complex now and I really like your approach. The jolting switchs between present and past with the flashbacks - some readers might find this too challenging but I think it helps to keep the readers alert. Forces them to pay attention. And I enjoyed the way that the pieces were brought together. It struck me as more... True to life, stream-of-consciousness.
Very poetic, this style of writing Sh33p. This is one of those works where the unwritten is as important as all the written. Even the settings were symbolic, really. The dark forest being representative of the dark times that the characters are going through, their roots and their stubborness. The characters long painful journey through the forest leads to an open road with clear skies and a reflective lake surrounded by grass and flowers - signaling the better times to come.
The underlying themes of hope and transition are brilliant and rather uplifting. It balances the characters out, gives them that extra touch of realism. While not many people can relate to the particular circumstances in this story, I'm sure that everyone has had to overcome a challenge or two in their life. Thus everyone should be able to relate to that aspect of the story.
And the knowledge that the characters had adventures before this took place and will have more in the future... It's comforting, in a way, just to know that they survive. To know that this story represents a moment frozen in time - a chance for the characters to connect, refocus and remember their roots. To make such good use of a transition serves to sort of remind us all of how precious and fleeting life is. It gives us pause... Because I get the distinct feeling that the characters - and other people, both real and fictional - don't have many moments like these.
You had some interesting ideas for scenes that, in the end, were not included in this story. Probably is just as well. Sometimes, oddly enough, closure is last thing that a story needs. Ending the story the way you did, Sh33p, left the moment-in-time trotting-off-into-the-sunset type feeling unspoilt. Because yes, even though the characters were in need of medical attention and so forth... This story, for them, is apparently a break - a vaction, in it's own twisted way - from what they regularly do. To put an end to that and drag them back 'in character'... Would have altered the delicate tone and flow of this story. All in all, I'm glad you left it as is.
Thanks for sharing this work! Take care Sh33p!
Guest chapter 1 . 3/6/2004
this rocks! AND its the only r/v fic i can find :D you should write more. this fic def goes on my faves list
BlackDragonDiva chapter 1 . 11/15/2003
kick ass! lol. that was awsome, dude. i'm going to read all of your Zoid stories if its the last thing i do! wonderful, keep up the good work!

J
GinkoToothed chapter 1 . 11/10/2003
Man, that kicked-ass seriously. First Rosso and Viola past fic Love it. Rock on.
The Crimson Comet chapter 1 . 7/26/2003
Hey that was great! There isn't enough Rosso and Viola stuff in the world *sigh* anyway I liked it, keep up the good work.

Crimson ~*
Bucky chapter 1 . 7/26/2003
Yes. You write very well.

So well, that this held my attention the entire time, and I'm not even familiar with the series!

Did a great job at showing his detached, almost morbid humor. The dialogue between them was totally entertaining. Very smart. And I got a good feel for their characters.

And you write soldiers very well. :) The fact that the first thing she said was a smart ass comment when she woke up, really made me like her. lol! They spoke with an easy flippancy, even though there was obviously much more going on.

Sh33p! You write well, boy!
Sawnya chapter 1 . 7/25/2003
Well, as you know, I knew virtually nothing about Zoids until you told me, and I'll admit I had to skim back through after I read your story the first time, mainly because it took me a few mins to get what was going on.

But it is beautifully written, and I loved how you ended it, with Rosso saying that he could only take "one flower with him" (I think the ending was my favorite part). Can't say whether Rosso was OOC or not, but either way, what he said was so sweet. You made Rosso and Viola seem to be a very touching pair, and I liked how you tied in the flowers them with your work. And Viola sounds like no ordinary heroine.

Very rich in detail and wording. Well done.
Akino Ame chapter 1 . 7/25/2003
Great job. And this is one of the many reasons why I love your fics. You did a good job with Rosso and Viola, and I'm sorry that you weren't able to put in all the stuff you wanted to. Oh, and nice explanation on the OOC-ness. I usually just add it all up to characters growing into their roles in the story, but you did an even better one: they're still out of it from being electrocuted.

Great one. Can't wait for the G Gundam and Thomas Schubaltz fics. If anything else you've written is any indication, they will be great.