Reviews for MERCY
LostNorthernStar chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
I cried.

You know i must say I like it even more than the end of RoTK.
Its a wonderful story. Thank you.
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
A great story. Very well written.
andaere chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
Wow. This has got to be one of the most powerful, poignant, moving, emotional, and heart-wrenching stories I have ever read. The pain of Merry, of Sam, of all the characters, is just so /real/. The tragedy of Frodo and the Ring has always been close to my heart for some reason, and this story really hit home for me. The way Pippin reacts to Frodo's death, wondering why some other person, one of the "Wise Ones", didn't go in Frodo's stead... it pains me that Frodo was the only one strong enough to do it, that Frodo's innocence and life HAD to be ruined in order to save the whole of Middle-Earth.

This story is so well-written. The way that the characters refer to Frodo as "you" really gets the reader involved in the story. And the gradual revealing of the events leading up to Frodo's death... the POV changes... your use of language and words to create a beautiful, vivid picture in my head... and most important, the way that you stir my emotions. I found myself crying more than once while reading this - I had to read it in intervals 'cause I didn't want to start crying with my parents in the room. ;) I even found myself tearing up while writing this REVIEW for some reason. (Maybe it's that time of the month... xD)

Anyways, your writing is like poetry. And, as I said, the emotions and feelings of the characters are so REAL. I feel like I'm right there next to them. It's in character, too, with Merry finding it the hardest of all of them to accept Frodo's death. And I know that this is AU, but it's almost become canon to me. Part of me thinks that it would've been better if Frodo HAD died. But at least he did get to "pass into the West" later... -sighs- This has been a long debate of mine. ;)

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This is a stupendous story. You're a very skilled writer.
Taryn Streambattle chapter 1 . 3/9/2009
I can't say a word that equals my feelings . . .
Lividun chapter 1 . 9/22/2005
Ow. Total heartbreak! I love this story so much I might print it. You capture the characters' personalities so well! I cried. Twice. Absolutely beautiful. I love the descriptions of the scenes, as well. Great job!
Billabong680 chapter 1 . 10/26/2004
It's so sad... I nearly cried ! You're a wonderful writer, I hope you'll do more fanfictions like this one ! This was simply wonderful and I'm sorry if I did some mistakes, writing this review, but I'm not perfect bilingual and I speak french all the times, but I can understand quite well english ;)

Continue, this was one of the best fanfiction I read in my life !
Earelwen chapter 1 . 8/4/2004
I love this story! It is just an epic! I cannot even begin to discribe how it made me feel. I had to fight tears for the whole thing. The feeling was similar to the one I had when I watched RotK for the first time or when I read Aratlithiel angst fics. It's just heartbreakingly beautiful!

I wish you would write something else here! In fact I'm going to go scour the net for anything else by you right now! This is one of my most favourite stories ever and that includes proper books.

Thank you so much!

Lots of love and luck to you!

Samwise the Strong chapter 1 . 12/1/2003
Love it. More Please
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 1 . 9/22/2003
Oh WOW! I am actually crying now as I write this! *damn my over sensitive nature!*

Where do I start? The whole thing was utterly beautiful, amazing, fantastic and I admire your talent.

The ending was most likely my favourite part - the idea of Merry seeing Frodo casting away his wreaths for his parnets was extremely touching!

The whole story was just incredible, amazingly well written and so detailed and perfect!

Thank you so much for sharing, this was a fantastic piece of work!

(*runs of to fetch some tissues*)
Firiel-Earth'sDaughter chapter 1 . 9/2/2003
Wow! That was utterly amazing. Before I get to reviewing the fic itself I hope you won't mind me asking you one question? Are you by any chance the same Connie Marie who wrote one of the most beautiful essays I've ever read on Lotr: 'One Step more; The Heroism of Frodo Baggins'? If you are, and I think it could only be the same person may I say thank you so much for writing such a sensitive and personal piece? It was truly beautiful and really stuck in my mind, to the extent that when I saw the name Connie Marie on this story I immediately recalled it. I printed it down several months ago from where I read it and have read it several times since. I've haven't (in my opinion) seen a better and more appriopriate response to Tolkien and his incomparable character. Forgive me for raving so - but I had meant to e-mail you before to express how thankful I was to you for writing that essay. I'm making up for lost time now!

Now - to this story. Again it is so very beautiful and really captures the spirit of Tolkien's Frodo. Your style is so delicate and elegant that the story flows with enormous ease while never allowing the reader's emotions to become disengaged from it. I was in tears when Frodo died. It was so sad and yet so numinously beautiful. You really succeeded in imbueing the rest of the story with his presence. The way the characters address him throughout is incredibly moving. If Tolkien had had Frodo die in the Lotr I'm sure that his description of it would have been like your's - its so true to him. Spare but incredibly affecting. I especially like the lines:

"No more pain." A whispered promise, a kiss pressed into your hair. A colossal weight seemed to overcome him, then. He curled into himself, your hand still pressed to his heart, shoulders shaking.

In case I've left you in any doubt as to my opinions (!) - I love this piece. It captures my beloved Frodo perfectly.

Please write more soon!
Ailsa89 chapter 1 . 8/11/2003
Blimey...oh, I think I must be sincerely oversensitive...gosh, ah, tears are presently pouring down my face and dripping onto the keyboard. Oh gosh. Anything I say now cannot amount to what "Mercy" was like. That was epic in itself. Frodo's release was beautiful. I loved Sam's perspective too, his last words were just so moving. But Frodo's word, that's when I started crying. So I'm sodden now and I'd better go and clean myself up.

It was wonderful. It was...I could see it all happening right there in front of me. The last scene fare broke my heart! But it was wonderful, you're an angel. Thank you.

A.J x
Trust No One chapter 1 . 7/31/2003
What a beautiful piece! You had my stomach in a knot and brought tears to my eyes. It's very original that you used Merry's perspective.

Overall beautifully written. (Another mother that writes LOTR fics - it's a great activity to get things out of your system). Great stuff, write more, i'm always fond of good Frodo angst!
frodo16424 chapter 1 . 7/28/2003
Enjoyed your story. I had tears in my eyes, and had to stop temporarily in order to collect myself. I especially liked the way you switched between characters. Nice idea! Hope you write more.
tavion chapter 1 . 7/28/2003
This was one of the most touching Fanfic's that I have ever read. This story really choked me up at parts. The way you wrote the death scene brought tears to my eyes. You are a very talented writer, your writing style is very much in touch with Tolkien.
Maddy Carr chapter 1 . 7/27/2003
Oh my, that was just fabulous. You have the honour of being the first fanfic writer (and I've read many) who has ever made me cry. I've still got tears in my eyes now, and a lump the size of a grapefruit in my throat. I particularly loved the characterisation of Sam - humility and wisdom in one package, just exactly right. Wonderful.