Reviews for Creature Comforts
The Sushi Monster chapter 1 . 11/18/2012
This is really, really beautiful. And the reason why I think it strikes a chord in me is because this topic feels so... new, rare, unexplored. Simon's past is brought up occasionally in canon and you have that sense of his nostalgic longing... but at the same time he feels guilty about that because of River. And you've captured all of that beautifully.

I did notice that one point I was confused as to whether Simon was lying in bed or was following Kaylee in the shop, although I was quickly corrected, but that paragraph transition read a little awkward. Other than that, the details you wove into this made it just so... good. I loved it.
natural-blue-26 chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
"He had the money to do anything he wished. He usually wished to be left alone to work."

Another great character piece. I don't see Simon as an intentional brat myself either, he was simply raised to think different things were the status quo etc. Well done!
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 10/20/2011
Excellent portrait of Simon Tam. You echoed Joss' style very well.
LaLa chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
Soooo true. I loved it(:
Marie King chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
I never really thought much about Simon's sacrifices until the episode Safe. You really got to see a contrast with what his life was like before and how his life is now. I think you really captured that in this fan fic. Once again it is wonderfully perfect. Well done!
AuburnGraces28 chapter 1 . 10/25/2008
really nice story, very well written view on Simon.
Kamp chapter 1 . 2/16/2008
i like it. it's something to think about. and the show never really had a chance to go into what simon had lost and could no longer have.
Darlian chapter 1 . 10/16/2007
Wonderful characterization & thoughtful insight. So very Simon.
Red Bess Rackham chapter 1 . 10/12/2006
Very, very good. You are such an excellent author.

Red Bess Rackham
Stormkpr chapter 1 . 3/17/2006
I love the topic of this fic - we don't hear enough about this. I also really like how you have Zoe and Kaylee letting River wear their old clothing - very sweet. I really love the realism of this fic, which is one of the things I like about Firefly in general; people are struggling to get by. You do a great job of using details and examples to illutrate how Simon's life was and how it is now.
Trella chapter 1 . 6/7/2005
very nicely done. perfectly simon.
kaerra chapter 1 . 1/3/2005
What a shame that you seem to have departed from Firefly fics to other series, because you have a real handle on the characters, and prose that is a pleasure to read. Coming from the Inuyasha fandom myself, this is a treat I can't begin to clearly elucidate after scores of rabid 13-year-old fangirls and more "ohmigod!11!"'s than I can count. *contemplates the idea of borrowing Vera and some very large hockey players with big sticks and bad attitudes*

Silly impulses aside... Concerning this piece, I really have no constructive criticism to offer, and that is testament to how crisp and solid this vignette is. However, since you seem to be a writer who is very serious about her craft, I will try to venture one good suggestion. Hmm... Well, it's not something that's as necessary in this particular story, but I did notice its lack more strongly in some of your other Firefly stories. You might try grounding us in the action of the scene-in this case, Simon's room on Serenity-by giving us more details about his environment. Even though he's lying in bed thinking about money and life, what are some of the things going on around him? Does he hear the engine hum? Are the sheets scratchy? Can he hear murmured voices of other crew members in the hall? His sister's even breathing? These details would really solidify the place, the action going on in the world around him even as he's lost in his thoughts.

Other than that, this is close to perfect. Thanks so much for sharing it! _
Wild Force Ranger chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
Wow.

Is all I can say. I love Simon and River,t hey're my faverite characters...and this is Simon and RIver, perfectly.

Well done! Write more!
Alison M. DOBELL chapter 1 . 8/13/2003
Excellent piece of introspection for Simon. I loved it, I could really imagine him thinking in this fashion. You really captured him. Thank you so much, Ali D :)

You can't take the sky from me