Reviews for In The Forge
innail chapter 1 . 12/10/2012
Speaking of Damascus steel, it was also the inspiration for 'Valyrian Steel', from George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (also known as A Game of Thrones)
Feafea chapter 1 . 4/20/2012
After all these years reading fan fiction, this is definitely the first time reading something from this perspective. Definitely fresh and intriguing. It's a pity it took me so long to chance upon this fic though. Great job!
Anticreator chapter 1 . 11/15/2010
I don't mean to pick holes, but Narsil was originally forged by Telchar, a dwarf of the First Age, known to be one of the greatest craftsmen that ever lived.
Mauve Alert chapter 1 . 6/26/2004
Very cool. You know, I never really thought about the people who actually reforged Narsil/Anduril.
Anwa chapter 1 . 12/7/2003
Good job. I wish I could tell you as many thoughts on this story as you did on mine, but I hope you take what I say into concederation like I am doing yours:
Your fic is overall a well thought out and nicely paced. The one thing I would ask would be for a bit more description. I know I am being hyprocratical when I say that, but your writing is good but it could be even greater. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this fic.
I also wanted to thank-you for the review. You are one of few who actually understand the point of a review. Sure, getting prasies are nice and all, but I just wanted to know what I was doing wrong. How I could make it better somehow. I am going to re-edit my last few chapters, and hopefully make them even stronger and the characters more round. Sorry for the sudden drop in writing ability in the last few chapters.
Thank-you again for the review, and please keep writing. You are a gifted writer, and I really can't take reading anymore poorly written, and poorly developed stories any more. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for new fics from you.
With Love,
Arwen
A. Meril chapter 1 . 10/10/2003
Wonderful. This is one of my favorite things about your pieces (and about many fanfictions): you can take one single sentence, or even just a phrase, barely mentioned by the author, and make it important to the tale.

The way Gloin and Mirdan related to each other was very natural. They are brought together by the time of danger, so they are very polite on the surface, but there is a slight hostility underneath. You brought this across wonderfully.

Mirdan's vow was also a beautiful little bit. I loved that (not that his son died, but you know what I mean).

All right, I suppose this is all for now. I'll drop by and review some more of your fics later!

Elanial
Pippinfan1988 chapter 1 . 8/29/2003
I really enjoyed reading this story! I once read a trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead, and he described in the second book the forging of a sword, which was much like your own. Very nice!

I love how you have taken a tiny piece of the LOTR story and expounded upon it to make your very own short story! I like to do that, too; I'm already working on a tiny quote from the third book that Merry says, which is where I derive my premise about Merry's relationship with his own father.

I read your bio page, and you sound like a cool person to know. I like your choices of favorite authors. I must say, though, I haven't read most of any of their works with the exception of Laura Ingalls-Wilder and C. S. Lewis. I remember the television series when I was a kid, and I've never really read her books, however, I recently read a piece in the Reader's Digest (I think!) she wrote about her and Alonzo's first year together-the harsh evironment of the land. That was more real to me than any television show they could have filmed! C. S. Lewis, I've read the Screwtape Letters. You have great taste in Literature! I love to read, and pretty soon, I'll be able to play catch up...

Take care,

Pippinfan
estelcontar chapter 1 . 8/6/2003
Thank you for a beautiful story, and very moving story. It filled a gap in the story in a very perceptive way.
shirebound chapter 1 . 8/5/2003
Wow, this is amazing. I especially loved that line about "The protection of the Dwarves is in the weapons we make." This is an insightful, excellent little tale.
Kai chapter 1 . 8/5/2003
This was really good. I enjoyed it, and I hope you fix your epee soon!
Kit5 chapter 1 . 8/5/2003
Ah, bliss, a new French Pony story.

For someone who isn't a metallurgist, you certainly understand the demonstrate the process well. But then again, I've never read anything of yours that was described awkwardly or poorly.

This is the first such fic I've read about the crafting of the sword- excellent job.
Starfish of the Elves chapter 1 . 8/5/2003
It's pretty...and sad...I love it! Love! Love!
Orangeblossom Took1 chapter 1 . 8/4/2003
Wow! Great vignette! I am impressed with your research and thrilled that it is the father of a fellowship member who reforges the sword. Thank you.
atippleofyourtears chapter 1 . 8/4/2003
I normally don't like quiet little refelctive pieces like this, but this was a wonderful story, and even if you didn't get all the details completely correct as you said, it was very interesting to learn the forging process.

I also loved how Gloin was worrying about Gimli and how he and Mirdan were able to get along because of their mutual love for metal and craftmanship.

I REALLY loved this line: "Then this sword will carry the blessings of all the Free Folk into battle," the Master Smith mused. "Steel of Men, forged by an Elf, and tempered by a Dwarf."
Leo Dragoness nsi chapter 1 . 8/4/2003
Beautiful. Yay for overlooked characters! . Wonderfully descriptive, delightful reminsince, a marvelous yarn. Kudos to you.

-LD