Reviews for Love or Money
Illusions of Dreaming chapter 25 . 11/12/2013
Thank you for the wonderful story!
It was the first PotC fanfic I've read and it's been an enjoyable ride! You've definitely made me want to read more of Captain Jack Sparrow haha xDD
Deary, where to begin?
Jack was in character - so witty and brilliant - how do you do it? I laughed and cried with the characters and fell in love with your OCs!
I can't be witty or humorous at all, if I attempted, it would sound forced and well... crappy. So I applaud you for completing the story AND keeping everything consistent and everyone in-character for all 25 chapters!
Thank you for sharing the story with the community! I can't wait to read more pirate fanfics now! xD
thanks!
baby blue eyes10 chapter 25 . 9/13/2011
While I realize this was written just shy of 8 years ago, I saw it on one of my favorite author's pages under their favorite story and decided to devote my night of reading to it. I haven't read a story this well written, this well researched, and this...well...GREAT in such a long time. I really loved it and despite what you wrote in your 'rant' I really don't think that Amelia is anywhere near a 'Mary-Sue.' She has depth, problems, a BACKBONE for God's sake and the story line was definitely not 'vomit-inducing' unless of course one tends to vomit when something fantastic comes there way. I also enjoyed the underlying 'devil' and quasi-religious aspect of the whole things as well. Excellent story! And now, I'm off to check out some of your other stories. Thanks!

Violet
wasdasdf chapter 25 . 1/24/2011
Brilliant story, really good written. :)
Howlongmustiwait chapter 25 . 5/19/2010
Oh my. Jack can certainly get netted into situations and come out to the good. Lovely story. Thank you for completing it!
Scorpio21 chapter 25 . 10/25/2009
I know you wrote this story awhile ago, but I just now stumbled across it. First off, well done! But I tend to strongly agree with the comment that Amelia is undeniable a mary-sue, and I disliked her very much. Instead of viewing her as a strong character, I saw her as annoyingly self-righteous and indignant to a fault. She stowed away on a Jack's ship knowing he was a pirate, yet the moment she was face-to-face with any of them, she cursed, belittled, and judged them as if it were her every right to. She blamed them for the predicament she put herself into, and she constantly degraded them for the way she THOUGHT they were. She brought herself into that situation, and against the Captain's wishes, yet she acted like everyone should listen to her and cater to her ideals. Yes, she was a spit-fire, but certainly not in a good way. Her nose was too far up in the air for my tastes, and she proverbially spit on everyone around her and blamed Jack for things that were her own fault. However, you pointed that out several times throughout your story through her own inner dialogue, and that made it bearable and gave her a certain realism. But what made me continue to read your story was Jack. You nailed his character perfectly, and you captured his obscured keenness flawlessly. I have never read a more well-composed, accurate, and enjoyable depiction of Jack Sparrow as you have done. He brought your story to life and kept me clicking to the next chapter just to see what he would do next. Your plot-line was predictable in my opinion, but your wrote it so well. I read in a review before I started this that someone suggested you structure your sentences differently and with more clarity so the reader can understand better. But every sentence you wrote conveyed your meaning and intentions perfectly. This is one the most well-written, grammatical correct stories I've come across, so bravo! I strongly disliked your OC for many reasons, and didn't truly believe the events that came about after she snuck onto the ship would have 'realistically' occurred, and frankly, I was voting for Jack to throw her overboard. But everything else was entirely too marvelous to pass up, so I kept on with it and ultimately enjoyed your story. In my opinion, the best kind of writers are those that bring the reader through many different emotions during their tale, whether negative or positive. And you did that impeccably, so well done I say! You are a great writer, and I will be checking out other stories from you in the future. Thank you for writing Jack so wonderfully. You've spoiled me tremendously! Thanks again, and until another time...
NightmareAhead chapter 13 . 8/10/2009
"Winking at what she considered his own cryptic idiocy"

That made me laugh. lol.

BTW you are REALLY good at Pirate-Speak! Where/How did you learn it so well?
blissedoutvixen chapter 25 . 10/25/2008
Ohmygod that was awesome! I absolutely LOVED your story it was fabulous! Amelia was great she was so...completely awesome. And your Jack oh my GOD I'm in love with him you wrote him so good! Just an awesome story. I really did love it.
KittyElf chapter 1 . 4/13/2008
I've read *Love or Money* at least seventeen times since I first discovered it in...geeze, I think it was back in 2005. It's one of the few fanfics I reread, because I feel like you really captured the essence of the characters. Captain Jack Sparrow *is* Captain Jack Sparrow, as he was in the first Pirates movie, down to the nearly-drunken dialogue. The "sensibilities" bit is one of my favorite pieces of character interaction I've ever read, and I include books by professional authors in that statement.

I also enjoy Miss Amelia Hamilton. Honestly, the character may as well be a real person from the way she jumps off the page. It's very difficult to give a character a plausible background without going into great amounts of detail, yet you manage it with Amelia. Actually, you're very good at creating vivid scenes without adding overly descriptive details that add nothing to the story.

So applause all around!

One suggestion, if you're ever looking for a space where your work could use improvement - sometimes your thoughts, at least in this work, aren't fully realized. For example, this line: "She’d had about enough of it, and if she ended up hanged for killing him, she’d not count herself lacking." I think the gist of the phrase comes across - Amelia feels that being hanged for murdering her brother is perfectly fine as long as she gets her property back - but the phraseology is a bit unclear.

Kudos!
Gabriella chapter 20 . 11/2/2007
Alright - I'll be frank. Amelia is a bit of a weak character; and I don't necessarily mean in the 'pathetic' sense, but in the sense that she didn't really seem to fit the strength you implied she had. Her spirit didn't come alive at all to me, and personally I agree with the Mary-Sue arguement. There was very little I found intriguing about her, and she often seemed quite bland and undeserving of the attention she got.

That said, your Jack is a completely different story. Hands-down one of the best portrayals I've ever read of him - you were entirely spot-on, m'dear. The physical descriptions, verbal spars, and mannerisms were uncannily dead on, and for that, this story has vastly impressed me. It's so difficult to properly capture such an idiosyncratic character with such seeming ease, but you did it wonderfully - I greatly commend you.

Reading Jack was a pure joy, and while I think your OC could definitely use some work (the effortless quality you had with Jack was severely lacking with her), I think this is a worthwhile read.
fliccolo chapter 25 . 9/3/2007
Great story. I loved it!
anon chapter 11 . 8/23/2007
wow, an author who can actually string together a sentence that has both beauty and substance in it. i'm impressed.

keep it up.
elzebrook chapter 25 . 8/1/2007
Found this in SoftStuff's Hall of Fame. Brilliant, I say. Had me laughing like a chipmunk on crack.
chatnoir chapter 25 . 6/20/2007
I enjoyed your story immensely. Your characterization of Jack was brill! And the dialogue definitely cared the weight of the characters-each person's identity was so defined just by their speech. I loved it. D
RainaHyuga chapter 25 . 6/10/2007
oh my god. i apsalutly loved this story. on to the favorite's list. love the fact you let jack atually keep the girl. yay and he admitted he loved her. write more good stories like this one
Calliope's Inspiration chapter 25 . 6/4/2007
even though the story is finished i just wanted to say that it was so well written and really good, wo i loved it!