Reviews for In The Forests Of The Night
KrnYong chapter 23 . 11/4/2012
Bravo! Quite wonderful :D
I loved all of the chapters and read this whole story in one sitting, I enjoyed it so much.
Thank you for stuing relatively within character for everyone, and showing just how horrid the Darkness in Rohan was and how the world can still be lovely and full of joy even after such calamity.
Lady M28 chapter 1 . 8/25/2007
I know this is years after the fact, but I thought I would go ahead and leave a comment anyway, I know how much I enjoy getting comments, no matter how long its been since I wrote something.

I'd never read book fic till very recently when I decided to rewatch the films while re-re-re-...reading the LOTR books. Somehow book fic always seemed blasphemous, but with the way Faramir is treated in both TT & RotK by PJ and how Eowyn is brushed aside after Aragorn heals her from the black breath for some reason I decided to give book fic a whirl. They're my favorite characters both separately and as a couple.

Both this & Freedom from Fear are two of the best stories I've found. You really capture Eowyn's full character. I sometimes think that RDM from BSG is somewhat inspired by Eowyn with his characterization of Kara Thrace, though I love Eowyn much more than I do Starbuck. That she's not just a warrior, but a wounded soul that's desperately trying to either end the pain or more illusively, find happiness. As she can't see a way to find the latter she settles for the former. Which I do believe is what her fleeting passion for Aragorn really is all about. I think why Eowyn resonates for me much more is that when she finally finds her chance for happiness, with the equally wounded and infinately gentle Faramir, she latches onto it and doesn't let go, she makes a decision to live. Kara seems to think she's unworthy of having happiness, therefore causes it to leave her.

Anyway, mostly I wanted to thank you for writing something that really resonated with me as to how I've always seen Eowyn, and Faramir for that matter, and even Aragorn. But really detailed who she is, the awful things that have happened to her in such a short life, and the trapped wounded animal she really is. Not the tough warrior woman box some would try to shove her into. Also, how you've written in a very non sappy way, and not just soley focusing on them, that she truly loves Faramir, because I believe she does. She just has to get a place where she feels safe enough to feel something that huge before she can express it. I think you've done a fantastic job of breathing life into all of that.

I have a single complaint about both stories, and that's the non resolution of the book of maps which inspired her love of Ithilian, making it her symbol of hope. Did Faramir not make the maps and have the book bound for her? For Boromir to give to her? I found it odd that the book comes up multiple times, in both stories, but never between them, or that for all their talking they never speak about Ithilian, she never asks him about it, when he's lived/worked/fought there for so many years and she's dreamed of it. Mostly it stuck out because otherwise this was such a detailed story, both emotionally and physically. Thank you.
Delores chapter 23 . 1/22/2007
This is a beautiful story and i believe you've captured the essence of Eowyn perfectly.
adrinkcalled chapter 1 . 11/5/2005
"wait in the house for the names of the dead" - beautiful imagery
Dudette Angel Rose chapter 1 . 8/4/2005
this isn't and eyown and aragon romance so sop saying it is!
vortirla chapter 23 . 1/7/2005
this is truly just a very beautiful story and i am so glad i found it. you portrayed Éowyn wonderfully and this fic is definitely a fave. Ü
Raiining chapter 15 . 11/4/2004
We are made to lose all that we love, and we hope to find it again",

hm...

"It is not that it does not hurt, so much, to lose those we love my queen, but it does not do to pine for what we have lost and forget what we retain".

lovely. interesting.
Raiining chapter 14 . 11/4/2004
but he kept suggesting that she put it off for a year or five.

AHAHAHAHAA!

How dare Arwen pronounce judgement on her with her mocking smile and air of triumph, when she knew nothing, nothing of what Éowyn's life had been?

YEA! Go Eowyn! feel the burn, honey. hehe

love to see Merry and Eowyn bicker like siblings. a beautiful representation of happier times!

"They had laughed so much that at times every eye was upon them"

ah...*happy sigh*
Raiining chapter 13 . 11/4/2004
She had not been cruel or unpleasant or remotely rude, she had simply been absent whenever Arwen attempted to strike up a conversation

hehehehe

This was not the ice-cold Wraithbane songs were written about, but a warm, loving woman.

... they write songs about her? hm ... well of course she is worthy of them!

She disliked the girl for being so unsure that a few words from a woman she barely knew could hurt her so. How ridiculous!

hehehe. Go Mortals! who don't have a lifetime seven times over to learn an ageless self-confidence.
Raiining chapter 12 . 11/4/2004
o... oh she was mean.

"Estel I am sorry, I did not see. That was undeserved, unmerited unkindness on my part. I will heal the breach. You care for her do you not?"

well, at least she'll "heal" it. But I think Faramir will have a few choice words to say.
Raiining chapter 9 . 11/4/2004
Though she trembled and felt fear, there was a fragile anticipation weaved around her feelings, so that she knew not where one ended and the other began.

excellent line!

And it darted through her with the speed of an arrow that she did not want to leave this world, not yet.

*sigh*. so romantic! in an ice-cold Eowyn way. Lol.

“My friendship?
Raiining chapter 8 . 11/4/2004
Perhaps despair did drive him from himself, but it could not keep him. He died as himself, and with courage and honour.
Raiining chapter 7 . 11/4/2004
“And yet it is only you who has ever seemed to understand, Lady Éowyn. Other men, my friends, have tried; but they cannot know what it is to feel such grief, and I seek no man’s pity.
Raiining chapter 6 . 11/4/2004
He was... disconcerting

AHAHAHAHA! Does all love not start out as such? True love, love that lasts.

the Steward was in no way unusual. For sure he was not the first handsome, nor the first polite man she had ever known.

hehehe
Raiining chapter 5 . 11/4/2004
And then the elf knew what was torturing his friend.

“Boromir. She reminded me of Boromir