Reviews for Deus Ex Machina
Golden Warrior12 chapter 1 . 1/8/2005
Dude.. I can't say anything else.
Galacia chapter 1 . 1/6/2005
I am just writing to say that I liked the fic

I think Gohan learned a lot of stuff he needed to know or failed to understand at first

I think that was good for him

Anyway thanks for a great fic
Engar chapter 1 . 7/29/2004
*blinksblinks*

Where have you been all my life?

This was, to put it bluntly, an incredible Fan-Fic. You caught Gohan's character perfectly ? his feelings about being part Saiyan, his distaste for fighting as a whole and the terrible guilt he carries for not being good enough ? and even managed to balance character with angst which is always a hard thing to do and in my mind you couldn't have done it better. Most writers tend to go overboard on it ? I'm afraid do it myself ? but you balanced it out nicely.

Also, as I was told not too long ago, I admire how you set out to explain something and did it without rambling on. The temptation is to add in superfluous details in order to pad out the story but I can honestly say that every paragraph has a purpose and for that I congratulate you.

Anyway I won't take any more of your time ? if you do receive this review its probably a shock to the system - and I myself now have weeks of material to read! :D

Once again, congratulations. In this time, place and piece of work you have done incredibly well.

Thank you.
Silver Warrior chapter 1 . 12/15/2003
Well now, that was a very interesting story.
Knight's Shadow chapter 1 . 11/17/2003
Really good you do one where Mirai Gohan gets a chance to come back to life for a week and goes to the other timeline to see how things changed and to talk to everyone there.
Demi-Saiyajin Prodigy chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
Well, now that I've stepped away from this story long enough to catch my breath (read it three times since discovering it last night), I think I can manage a review.

You have a beautiful writing style. Rather poetic, deliciously descriptive, and it never becomes tiring or out-of place in the story. There are some truly wonderful similies, like: "It was thin, reedy - as if talking through many layers of wet fabric." Such vivid images, and I don't think I found a single cliche. A fantastic thing to see.

You've covered so many facets to Gohan's character that I'm going to have to devote a paragraph to naming out each one. And so here it goes.

First of all, his dislike for anything Saiyan. I too have always believed that this stemmed from the way in which he was introduced to his heritage. To Gohan, a kindhearted person with a strong aversion to violence, the Saiyans truly would have been monsters. But I also like how you made it clear that Gohan knew that he would not have lived as long as he did without, as you put "the blood of that dead race in his veins". He hates it, but he acknowledges it.

Next, Gohan's guilt at being absorbed and effectively helping Buu fight Goku. How true to Gohan's character that even though it was involuntary, and in no way his fault, he blames himself. That's always been one of his trademarks: if something terrible happens, he'll find some way to convince himself that it happened because he screwed up.

And all of his anger and despair once he realizes that he's dead and the Earth has been destroyed . . . Wonderful. Yes, so much of his life has been on the edge of despair, and yet he pushed the despair and anger away, fearful of them and their consequences. But now that everything he'd ever fought for in his life has been destroyed, he can no longer contain either one. And he's bitter that he'd suffered through such a harsh life for apparrently nothing.

And then sending his soul across dimensions, into the future timeline, just after his counterpart's death . . . I didn't see it coming, and I assure you that is a most wonderful thing. The interaction between the ghost of Gohan and the ghost of Future Gohan was stirring in a way that I don't think I can define.

Future Gohan's character just seemed so dead-on. I think you said it best with the line "Even in death, he had a fatalistic determination that hung about him like a shroud, and the harsh contours of his face didn't abate, even though his part in the fight to free his Earth was now over". Really captures the whole tragedy for Gohan in the Future timeline. And again with the whole Gohan lack of confidence thing, with him saying that he made a lot of stupid mistakes and should have done a lot better. Some things don't change.

I loved Future Gohan's whoop of joy when he saw Trunks acheive Super Saiyan for the first time. Callous and fatalistic as he may be, he could still experience happiness for the person to whom he was closest. Taking whatever happiness he could in a world that had very little of it.

And now back to present timeline Gohan. Beautiful epiphany, expressing the constancy of life and hope. The realization that, despite how much Earth meant to him, its loss was small in the grand scheme of things, and may even be the trigger of great changes. That he is never truly alone, and seemingly insignificant things can make a difference. I've always loved the theme of hope being everlasting; it's one that I often explore in my own stories.

You managed to get Piccolo's character perfectly, as well. Ever the pragmatist, as you said. Very true. And I loved how you expressed that Gohan was not the only one who was sent off to gain a greater knowledge. Broadens the story's scope, and it was delivered in true Piccolo fashion: with the bare minimum of words.

The ending . . . What can I say? I've used the words I would describe it with so many times already in this review. Subtly hinting that Baba was the intervening force, and I don't think I would put it past her powers to effect the journeys in the story. So few authors even think to use her, much less have her in-character and in such a capacity. And the last paragraph . . . not heavy and yet still leaves the reader thinking.

Well, this is quite likely to longest review I've yet written, though I am really not surprised. This is without a doubt the finest, deepest fanfic I have read in quite a long time, perhaps ever. It has truly been a great pleasure, almost an honour, to read it.
Dreamwraith chapter 1 . 8/14/2003
This is the first time I have ever heard of an idea like this. I never even wondered what had happened, but then happening upon this...I'm glad I did. It seems that there are so few people out there writing about new things. This story was definitely worth the time it took me to read it. Nicely done.
Nitte iz chapter 1 . 8/10/2003
Wow. Like really, wow.

I am dumbstruck by the sheer - amazingness.
Lady Eldaelen chapter 1 . 8/10/2003
Wow.

This was such a deep, intellectual story (hard to come by), but it was so easy to understand and very enjoyable to read. To say you are talented is an understatement. Wow. I am blown away.

Excellent job.
Interrobang chapter 1 . 8/10/2003
I've never read anything like this before. I must say that I thouroughly enjoyed it _ Well done.
SilverKnight chapter 1 . 8/10/2003
Excellent story. The story's written superbly, with a sort of detail that allows me to image everything, without it sounding too long-winded. You bring up a very interesting and well thought-out point. Very, very well written.

By the way, if a Deus Ex Machina is when someone steps in and rescues the good guys, then wouldn't Goku sort of be considered a Deus Ex Machina? He's no god, sure, but it always seems to be in the end that Goku is the one that saves the day. Just a thought; and I'm probably wrong.

Again, GREAT story.
aldkhfa142 chapter 1 . 8/9/2003
wow... That was... breath-taking! Oh my... I can't seem to pull the right words together right now! This was thought-provoking, awe-inspiring... not a moment in which you lost my attention. I loved it! Really, it's so rare (so very rare!) to find an author of your calibur! Please, keep it going!