Reviews for During a journey in the dark
Lauren chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
YAY! The sequel, finally! And a wonderful beginning, but that was to be expected. :) Can't wait to read more! Please post the next chapter very very soon.
Ceanen chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
TT, I'm delighted to see you have taken on the mines! Dark as it may be, I heartily enjoy the prospect of filling in that which has already been written. Its unbelievably seamless the way you integrate the original dialogue, and that makes it all the more enjoyable. I can't wait to see how this one turns out (fabulous, of course- but besides that...)!

Oy, I had forgotten the delicious elf-dwarf tension from the Ring Goes South- and how it returns with a flourish! Legolas is cranky as ever, and the tension has not left those poor travellers. Once they descend into Moria it shall only get worse- hopefully they will be able to come together more effectively than in the past. And though I love the delicious troublemaking the two get into, I do look forward to the beginning of their fabulous friendship. And Gimli's already starting to come around...

OOh, the vision again of a spiteful Caradhras is just so powerful. You've done a fabulous job of turning every aspect of the landscape against our heroes- and it's only going to get worse!

You have done a fabulous job with Aragorn here- his reluctance to enter Moria has clouded his mind so heavily that he's resorted to promoting false optimism- so unlike him! The way Legolas calls him on it is perfect: "'I stand corrected. It seems that there is a way of escaping reality,' Legolas thought, somewhat taken aback by the unfounded optimism. 'I would not expect this of you, Aragorn. Even for you, this is far too hopeful. What do you fear?'" It's a delicious foreshadowing- his inner turmoil coupled with Legolas' tremor of fear- and of course, the not-so-subtle warning for Gandalf's safety.

And speaking of Gandalf- how he holds his own in this chapter! Moreso than in the past, his counsel holds a fast grip upon each and every one of them- even those that don't agree are drawn to his choices (helped a bit by his clever manipulation, to be sure!). And his booming reprimand to those who doubt his judgment- his warning that none else have passed through the realm of Sauron and therefore have no place to be reciting dangerous obstacles- fabulous! Especially the last line: "Those who pass the gates of Barad-dûr do not return." Simple, yet chilling.

And the bit with the children's rhymes- what an image- these strong men of honour and bravery dredging up childhood verses in a weakened attempt to calm their fears. It tells more of them than any other line.

I love the thought of crebain travelling in "squadrons," and Aragorn learning the art of glaring from Elrond. What a delightful attention to detail.

I'm eagerly looking forward to updates, m'dear! :)
Hildestohl chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
I'm so glad you put out a sequel! Your stories are wonderfully written. A great amount of humor, action/adventure, drama.I can't wait for the next chapter to began!
RainyDayz chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
*falls backward onto a sea of feather soft pillows*

At last! The sequel I have been waiting for!

*hugs you*

Legolas Moria Aragorn Angst, drama, and friendship bonding goodness stuff that I love so much!

*spins in a circle across the room and hits the opposite wall*

...Ow.

But the knoweledge that there will be another post eases my pain!

See you next wonderful update!
nessie6 chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
At last! You posted it at last! This makes me so happy! Update this asap! It's really good already!

~nessie~
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
Jay! Finally, the long, long expected sequel arives! And what a fine chapter for the start. The subtly directed discussiion and decision of the way through Moria... I love the way you describe this, especially Legolas recognizing zhe tactics, and his suddn fear. But I also immensely liked the scene with the aproaching Crebain and the unwilling pony. And to the the building strife between Aragorn and Legolas is painful. The heir of Isildur indeed walks a very fine line, and if he does not back down son, it is a wonder that his friendship with Legolas will (as we know) survive the quest. As if he of all persons should speak of the bad outcome of other races desiring jewelry too much! Wasn't there that litle problem with Isildur being unwilling to destroy the one ring, that caused all this strigfe? and it is not the best move to speak to a descendant of Oropher, probable survivor of the slaughter of Doriath, of the second kinslaying in a reproachful manner...

I was shuddering at that point.

Besides, if Aragorn insists to always intervening on the dwarfs behalf when there is the slightest tension between Gimli and Legolas, at this point he is bound to make matters rather more complicated as if he was the two of them let find their own way to develop their unsure truce into a bit more of mutual acceptance. After all, he is inserting some way of presumptuous claim to leadership and knowing better into his dealings with the elf. Not the best way to calm things down, especially given that elf stubborn pride. And defenitely not his position to do, either, for there are equal wariors. I think the future king of men needs to rethink his own manners...

Anyway, I am delighted that you begin to post this story, and now I am waiting eagerly to read the next chapter with the fight against the warg pack!

Thank you for this womderful new story!

Aislynn
S chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
Oh yey! A sequel to "While the Ring Went South". Though I think LOTR is a long enough book as it is, well written gap-fillers are fun to read. I liked what you did in earlie, and am very curious to see what you're coming up with this time.
Etharei chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
YES! THE SEQUEL IS HERE! *does a happy dance* Thank you so much! And it's just as great as "When the Ring went South", and as I'm very partial to dark fics I reckon it will be even better (though that's hard to imagine, as South is already my fave *g*) please UPDATE!
Envinyatar chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
I'm delighted to see this story continue. You got me into fanfiction in the first place, satisfying my hunger for more of the story and you continue to do it unbelievably well.

Gimli's viewpoint was very well-handled, showing the development of his relationship with Legolas to the beginning of grudging acceptance and also providing a satisfactory explanation of why the Dwarves could still be ignorant of the fate of balin's party. It always puzzled me that they never bothered to try to find out - now I realise that of course they did!

Legolas's fear of dark places was also convincingly explained - I too had an older brother. And I have to agree with Tereza's review - you write Aragorn superbly. Can't wait to read more of this - and I really hope you're planning to go right though the books!
Daphne chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Ahh! Finally! The sequel! *Does happy dance*
fliewatuet chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Yeah! The long awaited sequel! I am curiously awaiting your take on the Warg attack.
S0lstice chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Oh, I was so excited to see this up here! 'While the Ring Went South' is my all time favorite fan fic and I was beginning to wonder whether you were gonna do that sequel. This looks very promising! I really don't know how you do it but you have an awesome ability to create realistic humor and you manage to keep each and every fellowship member perfectly in character. I love your work, and I'm looking forward this one! Great job so far.

Amorous
Raven Firedragon chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Yay! You've finally posted the sequel! May I just say how much I loved While the Ring Went South and am loving this. The writing flows so well, the parts which are yours and the parts which are Tolkein's are almost indescernible.

You have also defined the characters very well, I can't wait for the next chapter, please get the next chapter up soon!
annakas chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Ohh finally the sequel. The sequel has come the sequel has come. Yess yess yes! *purr* I loved it, the musings of Gimli and Legolas were so good and sometimes funny. Gandalf definiteli is a master manipulator. Will wait for next chapter.
Firnsarnien chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Woo Hoo! I was so excited to see that you've put out a new story! ;) It's great. I've always wondered what happened in the dark of Moria and it looks like now I'll know! :) I hope there's lots of Elf angst too! ;) Heh,heh. Hurry with more!
288 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 .. Last Next »