Reviews for During a journey in the dark
nessie6 chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
At last! You posted it at last! This makes me so happy! Update this asap! It's really good already!

Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
Jay! Finally, the long, long expected sequel arives! And what a fine chapter for the start. The subtly directed discussiion and decision of the way through Moria... I love the way you describe this, especially Legolas recognizing zhe tactics, and his suddn fear. But I also immensely liked the scene with the aproaching Crebain and the unwilling pony. And to the the building strife between Aragorn and Legolas is painful. The heir of Isildur indeed walks a very fine line, and if he does not back down son, it is a wonder that his friendship with Legolas will (as we know) survive the quest. As if he of all persons should speak of the bad outcome of other races desiring jewelry too much! Wasn't there that litle problem with Isildur being unwilling to destroy the one ring, that caused all this strigfe? and it is not the best move to speak to a descendant of Oropher, probable survivor of the slaughter of Doriath, of the second kinslaying in a reproachful manner...

I was shuddering at that point.

Besides, if Aragorn insists to always intervening on the dwarfs behalf when there is the slightest tension between Gimli and Legolas, at this point he is bound to make matters rather more complicated as if he was the two of them let find their own way to develop their unsure truce into a bit more of mutual acceptance. After all, he is inserting some way of presumptuous claim to leadership and knowing better into his dealings with the elf. Not the best way to calm things down, especially given that elf stubborn pride. And defenitely not his position to do, either, for there are equal wariors. I think the future king of men needs to rethink his own manners...

Anyway, I am delighted that you begin to post this story, and now I am waiting eagerly to read the next chapter with the fight against the warg pack!

Thank you for this womderful new story!

S chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
Oh yey! A sequel to "While the Ring Went South". Though I think LOTR is a long enough book as it is, well written gap-fillers are fun to read. I liked what you did in earlie, and am very curious to see what you're coming up with this time.
Etharei chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
YES! THE SEQUEL IS HERE! *does a happy dance* Thank you so much! And it's just as great as "When the Ring went South", and as I'm very partial to dark fics I reckon it will be even better (though that's hard to imagine, as South is already my fave *g*) please UPDATE!
Envinyatar chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
I'm delighted to see this story continue. You got me into fanfiction in the first place, satisfying my hunger for more of the story and you continue to do it unbelievably well.

Gimli's viewpoint was very well-handled, showing the development of his relationship with Legolas to the beginning of grudging acceptance and also providing a satisfactory explanation of why the Dwarves could still be ignorant of the fate of balin's party. It always puzzled me that they never bothered to try to find out - now I realise that of course they did!

Legolas's fear of dark places was also convincingly explained - I too had an older brother. And I have to agree with Tereza's review - you write Aragorn superbly. Can't wait to read more of this - and I really hope you're planning to go right though the books!
Daphne chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Ahh! Finally! The sequel! *Does happy dance*
fliewatuet chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Yeah! The long awaited sequel! I am curiously awaiting your take on the Warg attack.
Mirfaen chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Oh, I was so excited to see this up here! 'While the Ring Went South' is my all time favorite fan fic and I was beginning to wonder whether you were gonna do that sequel. This looks very promising! I really don't know how you do it but you have an awesome ability to create realistic humor and you manage to keep each and every fellowship member perfectly in character. I love your work, and I'm looking forward this one! Great job so far.

Raven Firedragon chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Yay! You've finally posted the sequel! May I just say how much I loved While the Ring Went South and am loving this. The writing flows so well, the parts which are yours and the parts which are Tolkein's are almost indescernible.

You have also defined the characters very well, I can't wait for the next chapter, please get the next chapter up soon!
annakas chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Ohh finally the sequel. The sequel has come the sequel has come. Yess yess yes! *purr* I loved it, the musings of Gimli and Legolas were so good and sometimes funny. Gandalf definiteli is a master manipulator. Will wait for next chapter.
Firnsarnien chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
Woo Hoo! I was so excited to see that you've put out a new story! ;) It's great. I've always wondered what happened in the dark of Moria and it looks like now I'll know! :) I hope there's lots of Elf angst too! ;) Heh,heh. Hurry with more!
faervarya chapter 1 . 8/16/2003
Awesome, a new story by Tiger! I loved "While the ring went south..." I hope this one goes on for many day of fellowship travel - eagerly awaiting the next installment. BTW I love the animosity between Legolas and Gimli, I am so looking forward to Legolas having to deal with his claustrophobia in Moria! Yeah! Leggie Angst!
Sylvia1 chapter 1 . 8/16/2003
Do you have any idea how long I've awaited this sequel? *happy dance* I have to admit that I've been absolutely terrible in reading and reviewing this summer. School and work have been rough, but it seems your new story has finally pulled me away from RL (Thank you!). Now onto the review...

Darker than the first? OOh, although I am a bit saddened that it won't be as lighthearted as While the Ring Went South, it's exciting to see how it will be darker. Of course, travelling into Moria has to lack light, right? I love your interpretation of Gimli by the way, reading his pov again after being away from it for so long was really refreshing. It's also hilarious to see his opinion of Legolas - it seems their feud is still going on even after the rockclimbing they were forced into last time.

And then you throw us right back into the action with the wargs - my hat's off to you! Have I told you before how much I love how you thread passages from the book into your fiction? It's really precise, and you keep the mood of the passages intact as well. Thank you so much for posting up the sequel for this! I know you've been planning it for a while, and I've been anxiously anticipating its arrival.

Oh, and by the way, I loved the whole domino effect the fellowship has as it travels through the woods. One stops and they all run into each other. It's a good thing the hobbits weren't walking in front - they could've been knocked to the ground or even trampled with their short stature. Also, I thought it was great that you're bringing Legolas' fear of dark places and claustrophobia into this next section. It should certainly be an amuzing nugget of fun in the future chapters. :) Thanks for a wonderful chapter - and I can't wait for your next update!

-A terrible ecstatic Sylvia
Tereza chapter 1 . 8/16/2003
*Bored out of her mind and out of books to read, Tereza half-heartedly skims through the pages of fanfic… ‘LOTR and Jetsons crossover?’ no… ‘Britney is having a bad day and suddenly she finds herself sucked into a mirror and lands in Middle Earth?’ no…. ‘Crystal the elf was a shy maiden until she met a certain elf who would break into her iron heart’ Sigh… noo…. Well, I did like the Jetsons….*

Wait a minute! What’s this? A new Thundera Tiger story? *gasp* A continuation of While the Ring Went South? By Elbereth! At last! I thought it would never happen! I thought you were kidding when you said you would write this!

If someone told me a year ago about a fanfic that covered the gaps in Tolkien’s story, I would have scoffed – ‘who dare thinks they can mess with Tolkien and insert scenes without distorting the story?” But if anyone can, it is you. You write so beautifully, when I do come across a line I recognize from the book, it neither seems out of place nor does it negate your earlier paragraphs. It all just flows as if I really am reading “Tolkien’s Deleted Scenes.”

What I loved most about While the Ring Went South and this first chapter is the humor – you already had me giggling at Bill the Pony, and the absurd situation of the fellowship desperately trying to cajole him and the scene when Gimli stopped suddenly, creating a domino effect with the rest of them. These scenes are so flawless and smooth and you are then able to move easily to powerful suspense and drama (here I am, already knowing what’s going to happen, yet still sitting at the edge of my seat as I read about how the crebain spotted them).

And the argument over Moria. Oh, how I love you for filling in this gap! You added some wonderful insight that made this scene all the more satisfying – Legolas’ childhood fears, Gimli’s excitement and trepidation about the fate of the dwarf missions sent there and most amazing, Aragorn’s own foresight.

And of course, the growing friendship between Gimli and Legolas. You establish the tension between them with clever lines and situations that again, never feel out of place. Finally, your Aragorn is perfect. To me, he is one of the most difficult characters to write. I have read many well-written stories where he somehow just doesn’t feel right. But you balance his wisdom, humor, reluctant king and stealthy ranger characteristics perfectly.

Ok, I think I’ll now bring this very lengthy review to an end. Please don’t keep us waiting too long for the next chapter!
Mair chapter 1 . 8/16/2003
wow that was awesome! im looking forward to the rest of the story lol. i really cant find any faults in it..all i can say is keep on writing!
284 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 Next »