Reviews for Smile
Tsuyunoinochi Koukyo chapter 1 . 5/2/2004
This wasn't weird! Actually, it was touching. Emotionally touching, mentally touching, whatever. It was good.
Tiriya chapter 1 . 10/7/2003
Heh... this was a little confusing, what with the way you have it laid out and all, but still really good. Made me look at the ending in a new light, and gave me a different perspective towards Squall's character. Lovely. :-)
Luna Manar chapter 1 . 9/16/2003
Interesting. I thought you didn't like Squall/Rinoa fics? (Then again, maybe that's the whole reason you wrote this in the first place, eh?)

This was a little hard to follow...but I think half of that is because I've been up for well over 24 hours. :P

Despite the story description, though, I don't see this fic as being particularly tragic...you have Squall down pretty well, and the ending is sort of open for things to go well between he and Rinoa, or fall to pieces, depending on the choices they make (great paradox there, one that I'm sure drives Squall absolutely mad-like everything's meant to be, but on the other hand, you can't help but realize you did make choices that got you to the place where you're currently standing).

Reading this, and your blog, I cannot imagine why you bother reading anything of mine! 99% of it is Squall/Rinoa crap.

But back to the point, you have yet another very emotional piece here, and you pull it off very well...in terms of constructive criticism, I'm afraid I can't offer much, other than to say I did have to read through it twice to fully understand what the point of it was. In retrospect, I think it's supposed to be that way-Squall's roundabout allusion to the adage "it's not life I'm afraid of, it's the sudden stop at the end" makes the rather abrupt conclusion of this fic work, almost a case in point...(FYI, I realize you probably weren't consciously referring to that saying, but that's what it made ME think of).
Baconfat chapter 1 . 9/7/2003
Oh, wow. Bitter and confusing and a heck of a good read.

[and it’s not so much the falling that scares me it’s that last sudden stop]

I wish I could write such unsual, meaning ful one-shots. In this one piece you manage to reveal an entirely different way of looking at the whole love story in the game. Just amazing. I love the feeling here: it's all been decided already, I don't have a choice - it just works so well and gives such a different look at that final FMV. Awesome. I absolutel love the last few lines, from [Seventeen years]... so poignant. Ouch.
Marty78 chapter 1 . 9/5/2003
Takes cookie but ignores sedative.

Good job. I was actually moved and very few stories move me. I am a tad bit confused, but that's alright.
Kitian chapter 1 . 9/3/2003
::munch munch:: My, these cookies are good. What did you put in th-sknz.

Stupid sedatives. Anyways...that was pretty confusing at first, but after re-reading it (which I thoroughly enjoyed doing despite my confusion) I think I understood the overall mix of emotions that Squall was going through. I never would have seen the ending like that; so deep and introspective and just a wee bit twisted! Absolutely lovely; your usage of language is brilliant, and I'm really starting to like your style of writing. Short and sweet, with just the right amount of everything. Please keep writing!
myeerah chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
*grabs a sedative cookie* I confess, I had to read it twice, but this is a beautiful exploration of how Squall felt at the endgame. That's what I call a messed up little boy. ;)

Good work.
Tobu Ishi chapter 1 . 8/17/2003
*grins* Marvelous. Absolutely awesome. There is soppy, messily-written nonsense, and then there is true angst. This was true angst, polished to jewel-like perfection. And I love the last few sentences. How much time did you put into those to get them just right? Or did they just spill out perfect from the start?

Keep writing. You're amazing. _
Baby Rose chapter 1 . 8/16/2003
Wow...that was a different twist on things if I ever saw one. And that ending line was awesomely powerful. I hope I didn't miss the meaning in this, but I think I got what you were trying to say. Nice piece, Magistrate, I like it a lot.